Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robert
    • Jan 2017

Popping with dog in house

i have a dog and since last days I enjoyed popping balloons but what about the dog how does everyone handle this situation. I do popping upstairs and dog always stays downstairs. Is it a problem do you think? Also the hearing of the dog are 7 times more then ours.

Now i pop only when my dog is at daycare
  • SAF
    • Nov 2019

Re: Popping with dog in house

depends on the dog...
    Some dogs love popping balloons... Hunting dogs are around gun fire... some dogs hate it.

Comment

• robert
      • Jan 2017

He is now 14 months and its a swissie so no hunting dog. He has no problem with fireworks so think its ok but have problem i dont know if it can damage him

Comment

• ArchibaldR
        • May 2021

You could try to start popping some quieter stuff around the dog, like smaller plastic bags or something. They don't make as much noise and then you can see it's reaction. If the dog reacts good to that, i'm pretty sure you're good to go upstairs

Comment

• Tracy
          • May 2018

If there is someone around you who knows about your balloon thing, ask them to watch your dog downstairs while you do some popping. If the dog is distressed by the noise, it should be easy to tell.

If nobody knows, I suppose you could try to do via video. Or just blow up some balloons and when a friend is over tell them you have to pop some balloons from a party, can they just watch the dog for a couple minutes while you take care of that upstairs?

Comment

• Golden
            • Jun 2022

I'd recommend a white noise generator. Should block out most of the boom.

Comment

• MrBurster
              • Aug 2022

Like their reaction to fireworks or anything with concussive booms, it depends k no the individual animal. Tracy’s ideas are the most sound.

I can bust off hundreds of balloons each night and not one bangbohases either of my dogs……. But one is also afraid of stairs so each is a mixed bag!

Comment

• Unicks
                • Nov 2020

This is a real topic.. I had an elderly dog a few years back and she began to absolutely freak out when there was popping, but never had a problem beforehand, we thought she was going nuts... reason being, she was becoming deaf as she aged and popping or squeaking had to be loud enough to startle her. So only when she could hear me going on in the house it was ok, and later as her hearing attenuated further, the only thing she could hear is me clapping or the balloon play itself.

The situation actually helped me realize that my dog, a bull terrier of 12 years was basically deaf.. dogs are so in tune with what is going on in their environment that they appear to be all there until they can no longer maintain. Her life-mate died a few years ago who was also a bull terrier, he was blind for a few years.. and we had no idea until his mate had to spend a few days at the vet getting a bout of mammary cancer dealt with... he just sat in his bed the whole time she was away, we first though it was cute that he seemed heartbroken his girlfriend wasn't there for him.. but soon realized he was blind and needed his mate to walk with him and help out. I shone a flashlight in the complete darkness at him, he just stood there as if nothing happened.. sitting at attention awaiting for his mate to return... it was quite a sad revelation. They both worked together seamlessly, always running and playing out in the yard.. but never letting on of their disabilities.

..all that being said, I would keep an eye on your dog with a small camera while you loon-out. Animal anxieties may not play out at the time, maybe later on in a separate situation. Maybe manifesting in a fear or something similar.

Someone mentioned "white noise" and I say don't do it! You are correct in that a dog's hearing is usually many times better than ours.. and artificial white noise is painful! There is pink or brown noise that may be more suitable if a random noise source is required for a pet's hearing spectrum. They both tend to cover more of the lower end of the spectrum. I can only imagine that the random highs from white noise may become stressful, something like static discharge or corona.. very noisy if you can hear that high up in the spectrum.

Cheers!

U

Comment

• srob2
                  • Dec 2017

It might freak the dog out, but unless the dog is in the same room, I doubt there is any risk of hearing damage. Sound falls of exponentially with distance, and walls, floors and doors block a lot.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎