Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SirSquishy
    • Mar 2020

Excuses

I don't consider myself a popper, but this seems to be the appropriate section of the forum for this question.

Balloons pop, that's just inevitable. When they do go, they're typically very loud (I know I'm stating the obvious here). So for those of us who live with others, or who live in apartment buildings, what do we say if someone asks "what was that loud noise?" Some balloons are so loud they could be confused with a small caliber gunshot. Thankfully I haven't had anyone ask me this recently, but I honestly don't know what I would say if asked.

I had a ceramic plate crack in the microwave once which was so loud it sounded like a gunshot. Scared the living hell out of me. Accidentally dropping something big and heavy on the floor could also be another excuse.

So what are some excuses you have for those nosy neighbors that might ask what that popping noise was?
  • Crystal
    • Jul 2022

Re: Excuses

Well. I would just innocently say, “You heard that, too? I wonder what it was…”. Unfortunately this is a limited-time-use response.

Comment

• SirSquishy
      • Mar 2020

Originally posted by Crystal
      Well. I would just innocently say, “You heard that, too? I wonder what it was…”. Unfortunately this is a limited-time-use response.
      I had this thought too. Would definitely work if you knew where the other person was and how close they were in relation to your popping sounds. If they're your next door neighbor in the apt unit next to yours, it might not work. They could probably tell it came from your unit. But if it's a neighbor from a floor or two above or below you, that excuse would definitely work.

Comment

• Regular Guy
        • Aug 2015

Dropping something would be my first excuse, too.

If you don't mind mentioning balloons you could tell you are using balloons for lung/breath training and somtimes they accidentally pop...

Comment

• Blowitbigger
          • Aug 2022

I only now realise how lucky I am living in an independent house surrounded by garden, I can make as much noise as I want and nobody complains about that. Here in Italy fortunately no-one would think that the noise of a balloon popped vould be a gun fired because there are so few guns around that basically only police officers have one and I have never seen a cop using it or even just taking it out of it's folder... Italy and Europe in general is not a place where a loud bang would make people think of a gun fired... we would probably think of something crashed or a car tyre burst rather then a weapon ben fired. Anyways I have never thought about this problem of having to find excuses to justify to neighbours about the noise during loons play.... 🙈🙈🙈🙈 this make me think that when living in a flat you will never be free even if you own your flat you're always limited about what you can do to the point that even a balloon popped or high volume music would trigger neighborhood complaining... that's sad and very stressful... 🙈🙈🙈

Comment

• Merl
            Hopper research dept.
            • Apr 2021

Wait for very heavy rains, it mufflers a lot especially if you happen to have a metal roof. Thunder helps too but timing is everything.

Comment

• darcynader
              • Nov 2018

This seems to come up a lot. Out of interest, has anyone actually received a complaint or been asked to explain? I found one story about hotel security but nothing about neighbours.

Comment

• Merl
                Hopper research dept.
                • Apr 2021

STP with the loon covered by a heavy smooth blanket or inside of a larger loon (say, an 18 inflated inside a 36) feels interesting and reduces noise. This probably won't be much help to someone into other kinds of popping, though.

Audio camouflage:

1. Play loudly over speakers a sound file of heavy home renovation...hammering, electric saws, etc.

2. Crank up an old war movie with lots of bombings and artillery.

3. Leave a vacuum running, if possible, in a room nearest to those you don't want hearing your noise (useful for shorter sessions obviously).

Comment

• darcynader
                  • Nov 2018

I'm surprised that the walls between appartments can be so thin because the fire safety implications are not good.

The bass from loud music can have an effect on balloons, so there may be other benefits to audio camouflage.

Comment

• Nopops4me
                    • Jun 2015

Darcynader. This forum is a great teacher, at least it has been for me. How does loud bass music have an effect on balloons? Does it burst them? How, please?

Comment

• darcynader
                      • Nov 2018

That hasn't happened yet. If they are just lying around, then they start to move around randomly. However, the thing that caught my interest is that they vibrate, which is obviously a terrible inconvenience.

Comment

• Blowitbigger
                        • Aug 2022

Interesting... but a popper enjoys to pop and in most cases the big boom is a main part of the game if you cancel "the booms" than what's the point having a loon session as a popper without earing the pops?!!! If the situation is so critical I think you have 3 options: 1 check your neighbour's time table so you can have loon play when they're out; 2 invest some money to soundproof a room; 3 the more drastic option, take the chance to move to a more looner friendly environment which in my opinion is the best choice if you really want to enjoy your looning game as a popper!
                        Last edited by Blowitbigger; 04-09-2022, 07:49.

Comment

• darcynader
                          • Nov 2018

I only mentioned it as something I've noticed and I agree that people should decide what is most important for them and take action accordingly.

In any case, replacing an instantaneous loud sound with a continuous equally loud sound doesn't seem like a very good strategy for appeasing angry neighbours.

Comment

• Blowitbigger
                            • Aug 2022

Interesting... but a popper enjoys to pop and in most cases the big boom is a main part of the game if cancel the booms then what's the point of having a popper loon session without earing the pops?!!! If the situation is so critical then you havev 3 options: 1 check your neighbour's time table so you can do loon play when they're out; 2 invest some money to soundproof a room; 3 the more drastic option, take the chance to move to a more looner friendly environment which in my opinion is the best choice if you really want to enjoy your looning play as a popper!

Comment

• srob2
                              • Dec 2017

If some asks "what was that loud noise?", why not tell them you popped a balloon?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎