How about some scientific approach on balloon popping? :-)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RubberTech
    • Jan 2022

Re: How about some scientific approach on balloon popping? :-)

No I'm pretty sure it was Qtex factory because the balloon they inflated was a big heart shaped balloon and the TV show was called "How Its Made"

Comment

• yet_another_aussie
      • Dec 2019

Thread resurrect, stumbled upon this, yknow, googling about balloons n stuff.... normal behaviour....

I'm interested in their conclusion that balloons aren't an impulse noise. Thoughts?

Comment

• frankfrank
        Empathetic Harmonizer
        • Feb 2018

My guess is that if a balloon is pin-popped just before the time it would have popped from overinflation (i. e. after the last possible breath it can take), the noise will be fairly close to the 165dB. Usually balloons are pin-popped before that maximum point. When going past 98%-99% capacity overinflation, the noise may increase drastically when it is popped via B2P.

This is just a guess...
        People who don't know the difference between BURRO and BURROW, can't tell their ass from a hole in the ground.

There's been a lot of thefts of helium-filled balloons recently. More so than in the past, so they're going up. I think inflation is to blame.

"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking." - The Scarecrow, WIZARD OF OZ, 1939

Comment

• b0f0s0f
          • Nov 2016

That's a fascinating paper, neat to see that they found an entirely different mechanism from the two standard hypotheses. Love to see that we're not the only ones interested in this stuff

I've been trying to see if I could come up with any interesting metrology experiments involving balloons, like optical techniques for precisely measuring the skin thickness of a balloon, but I haven't settled on anything concrete yet. Optics is only tangential to my field of study so I'm not the most fluent in its application.

Comment

• frankfrank
            Empathetic Harmonizer
            • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Blown2Bits
            not every balloon would reach 165db anyway. You can b2p 10 balloons from one lot and each one will sound a bit different.
            True. If one were to B2P a weather balloon (don't try this by mouth, lol), it would be more of a "FOOF!" when it pops, more that than a very "sharp" snap sound.
            People who don't know the difference between BURRO and BURROW, can't tell their ass from a hole in the ground.

There's been a lot of thefts of helium-filled balloons recently. More so than in the past, so they're going up. I think inflation is to blame.

"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking." - The Scarecrow, WIZARD OF OZ, 1939

Comment

• kahuna09
              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by RubberTech
              No I'm pretty sure it was Qtex factory because the balloon they inflated was a big heart shaped balloon and the TV show was called "How Its Made"
              i know that exact show that you are talking about at the very end of the episode she puts a huge heart on the valve and blows it up huge and then holds it in front of a florescent light and looks for defects.

Ever wondered how balloons are made? Get the full history and 'making of' right here!Subscribe to Discovery UK for more great clips:http://www.youtube.com/su...

think this is the one that you are talking about.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎