Balloon and Inflatable Fetish Forum

Balloon and Inflatable Fetish Forum (https://www.blowtopop.net/index.php)
-   Non-Poppers (https://www.blowtopop.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Inflation problem (https://www.blowtopop.net/showthread.php?t=23163)

dragoninflatable678 29-01-2022 02:14 PM

Inflation problem
 
Yesterday, I got a Cattex 55 inch balloon. I started to inflate it, but was only inflating one side of it. I forgot to pre stretch it, but I did deflate and stretch it shortly after I began. Do you think I should have pre stretched it? Is there some inflation tips for a balloon of this size? Was this just defective and I could have done nothing to prevent popping? Should I switch to electric pumps for balloons this big. If I do switch, what should I use. I tried my wubble inflator, but that did not work. I do have an inflator from Walmart that is 300 W AC, but I think it is too loud(I live with my parents). What is the recommend W from balloons.

lyckr 29-01-2022 02:51 PM

Re: Inflation problem
 
Glad you noticed so early. I had this happen to one of these a few years ago and wasn't so lucky. It was a clear one and I didn't notice anything was wrong until I'd inflated it (using an electric pump) to 45-50" and tried leaning on it to see how tight it felt and it popped. One of the sides of the "paddle" was barely stretched at all, while the other was clearly stretched.
No idea if it's considered a defect, or if you simply have to pay a bit attention and stretch it or squeeze the air over "to the other side" to make it inflate evenly.

If noise is a concern, I'd recommend using one of those large handpumps meant for air matresses or inflatables. It's a bit of work, but it's better than blowing big balloons up by mouth.
This is what I've been using sometimes: https://productimages.biltema.com/v1...-330_xxl_1.jpg

Qbubbleballoon (: 29-01-2022 02:54 PM

Re: Inflation problem
 
Was it one of the cattex flat paddle balloons or the fluted design type? In either case it is always better to pre stretch before blowing up or when the balloon is partially inflated you can " squish " the air over to the other side. As far as inflation, hand pumps take longer but are more gentle being that the air goes in gradually and it gives the balloon a better chance to adjust to the pressure. I've had electric pumps that worked so fast that I have had balloons pop before I could even shut off the pump!:eek: It was just a standard electric balloon pump with dual inflation nozzles. As long as you have experience with the balloon and pumps and know the limits of the balloons you should have no problem with either type.
Cheers!:)

RubberTech 29-01-2022 09:08 PM

Re: Inflation problem
 
This condition is usually due to the latex being slightly thicker on one side than the other and would be considered a manufacturing flaw. In this case you should pre stretch the thicker side and then re inflate again slowly while squeezing the air over to the thicker side. The idea is to stretch the latex on the thicker side out to "relax" it and thin it out so the surface tension on both sides is equal when it is inflated. I have dealt with this many times but be advised that the balloon will always be weaker on the thinner side and may very well pop before it reaches its rated size. Even if it doesn't, it will be very sensitive to air pressure changes that could cause it to pop much more easily.

dragoninflatable678 30-01-2022 01:19 AM

Re: Inflation problem
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberTech (Post 80235)
This condition is usually due to the latex being slightly thicker on one side than the other and would be considered a manufacturing flaw. In this case you should pre stretch the thicker side and then re inflate again slowly while squeezing the air over to the thicker side. The idea is to stretch the latex on the thicker side out to "relax" it and thin it out so the surface tension on both sides is equal when it is inflated. I have dealt with this many times but be advised that the balloon will always be weaker on the thinner side and may very well pop before it reaches its rated size. Even if it doesn't, it will be very sensitive to air pressure changes that could cause it to pop much more easily.

How common do you say this happens? Like a percentage or something.

RubberTech 30-01-2022 01:47 AM

Re: Inflation problem
 
It depends on the manufacturer and their quality standards. Qualatex very rarely have a flaw. Balloons made in China have quite a few. I have found with Cattex worker balloons (One of my favorites) that the ratio of balloons with flaws is about 1 out of every 20 or so. Same with the Cattex paddle balloons. Amscan balloons are about 1 in 8 from my experience.

dragoninflatable678 30-01-2022 01:52 AM

Re: Inflation problem
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberTech (Post 80240)
It depends on the manufacturer and their quality standards. Qualatex very rarely have a flaw. Balloons made in China have quite a few. I have found with Cattex worker balloons (One of my favorites) that the ratio of balloons with flaws is about 1 out of every 20 or so. Same with the Cattex paddle balloons. Amscan balloons are about 1 in 8 from my experience.

thanks. This is the second Cattex Balloon I got. so I hope things would be better for balloons down the road.

RubberTech 30-01-2022 01:58 AM

Re: Inflation problem
 
The 45" Olympic balloons from Russia are pretty high quality as well and can take a lot of abuse. I have inflated them to 52" before with a fully inflated neck.

dragoninflatable678 01-02-2022 03:31 AM

Re: Inflation problem
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lyckr (Post 80227)
Glad you noticed so early. I had this happen to one of these a few years ago and wasn't so lucky. It was a clear one and I didn't notice anything was wrong until I'd inflated it (using an electric pump) to 45-50" and tried leaning on it to see how tight it felt and it popped. One of the sides of the "paddle" was barely stretched at all, while the other was clearly stretched.
No idea if it's considered a defect, or if you simply have to pay a bit attention and stretch it or squeeze the air over "to the other side" to make it inflate evenly.

If noise is a concern, I'd recommend using one of those large handpumps meant for air matresses or inflatables. It's a bit of work, but it's better than blowing big balloons up by mouth.
This is what I've been using sometimes: https://productimages.biltema.com/v1...-330_xxl_1.jpg

Do you use a valve with the pump or is it possible to use the pump on a balloon without one?


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.