Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scooter
    • May 2022

Feeling Proud of Myself

Admittedly this has nothing to do with balloons, but I felt this was the best place to talk about this given its where I've discussed my anxieties the most before.

So for those who don't know, I live in Japan. Japan has a pretty sizable bar/nightlife industry, but it's never been appealing for me. Due to life circumstances, I can count on one hand the number of times I've gone out drinking. Not that I mind it, but I don't really want to go somewhere just for a drink. I need there to be some other reason for me to go with the alcohol as a bonus, you know? Anyway, point being is that, as part of me wanting to push back against my anxieties and hopefully meet someone, I thought I should go to one for a little bit. There was a bar I had walked by numerous times that I was interested in by the name, and I learned through Google Reviews that the bar was a hostess style bar. Basically, you get your own personal girl for while you're at the bar who will sit, chat with you, and make you your drinks for a flat up-front fee. You can choose which girl for an additional fee. My feeling was that this was perfect. I would get experience talking in Japanese (to a nice-looking girl my age, no less), and get me out doing something fun this weekend. Yet I was still nervous. What if my Japanese wasn't good enough? What if I bore whoever I'm talking to? What if I appear to be an idiot? But I pushed my anxieties aside and went.

And, well, I'm really glad I did! My Japanese was good enough for an actual conversation and a little bit of flirting. I know on some level it's their job, but at the end the girl actually asked for my socials so I'm taking that as a sign she actually enjoyed the conversation. It was just some basic getting-to-know you type things, but I thought it went pretty smooth and I came off decently cool and thoughtful. Worth the bad hangover lol.

Tl;dr: Have had bad social anxiety for a while (have spent the last two years working through it), went to a social situation outside my comfort zone that I wanted to do, ended up rocking it.
  • Dude1234
    • Sep 2017

Well done on getting out the more you do it the easier it gets. That bar sounds fun. I'm in a similar situation so a bar like that sounds nice.

Comment

• Scooter
      • May 2022

Originally posted by Dude1234
      Well done on getting out the more you do it the easier it gets. That bar sounds fun. I'm in a similar situation so a bar like that sounds nice.
      Thanks for the kind words! For hostess bars, there's a REALLY big range of options. Many are themed to cater to different tastes, and the amount of sexualization also varies quite a bit. The one I went to was super basic and general, just a place for a good drink and a convo with a hot girl.

The one bad thing is that they can be pretty expensive, and there's many a tale of people getting sucked in and spending way, way too much money at these places. Probably gotta keep it to once a month max.

Comment

• Felicity Fuxs
        • Jul 2022

Well done Scooter, long may this continue..................

Comment

Working...