Your favourite inflatable growing up?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1000-THR "EARTHMOVER"
    • Feb 2024

Mine was a lovely big purple gym ball. I was bought it after probably the 3rd beachball popped under me while I was bouncing on it (they had no clue I was in fact humping them, they just thought I was having fun). Whenever I was left with my soft bouncy toy, I rode it hard and got sooo much pleasure

Comment

• PVC Vinyl Enthusiast
      PVC Fetish
      • Jan 2013

Those inflatable chairs and sofas once sold by Argos. They were made from a soft, glossy and transparent (glass clear) PVC. Blue was the most common colour, but other colours were available at times (clear and transparent pink).

My highly-strung, chainsmoking and quarrelsome mother kept on invading my bedroom with a trash bag (or, as we say in the UK: a bin liner) and proceeded to fill it with MY belongings that SHE decided I "did not need" any more. Sadly, my Argos chairs and sofas were among my belongings destined for the trashcan (UK: dustbin).

I regret not being a few years older in the 1990s so that I could legally be old enough to work and earn an income (to buy more inflatables, among other things) and gain independence from my mother by moving out of the parental home.
      Enjoy soft, shiny and smooth PVC (inflatables and clothing). The 6P-free/10P-free material is total rubbish.

Comment

• Benjy
        • Mar 2018

Those Argos chairs were awesome, so many of us at Uni had them in the early 2000's, we got through so many of them, but they were relatively cheap too. It surprises me that when there was the fad for inflatables a few years back, tied with the whole 90's resurgence in popular culture, they didn't make a return...

Comment

• PVC Vinyl Enthusiast
          PVC Fetish
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Benjy
          Those Argos chairs were awesome, so many of us at Uni had them in the early 2000's, we got through so many of them, but they were relatively cheap too. It surprises me that when there was the fad for inflatables a few years back, tied with the whole 90's resurgence in popular culture, they didn't make a return...
          A business idea I've been considering for a while would be a 'revival' of the archetypal inflatable furniture from the 90s and early 2000s, made from the exact same soft and squeaky PVC material. I'd ask for the manufacturers to use DINP as the plasticizer, as the non-phthalate alternatives simply do not give the same result. DINP was the mainstay inflatable PVC plasticizer of the 90s and early 2000s, before the 6P-free rubbish was introduced.

DINP has been shown by extensive scientific studies to be safe, but as a precautionary measure the EU banned its use in toys for infants (as they tend to mouth objects). There is a loophole around this: a warning on the packaging of the product saying something like: "this inflatable is not a toy. Not suitable for children under 11 years" (DINP is permitted in products for older children and adults).

For extra 90s and Y2K nostalgia I'd endeavour to have the packing of the inflatables made in the same style of font and design as the 90s and early 2000s ones.
          Attached Files
          Enjoy soft, shiny and smooth PVC (inflatables and clothing). The 6P-free/10P-free material is total rubbish.

Comment

• O'Dragon
            • Jan 2024

I'd definitely like that! I really miss the old softness and stretchiness.

Comment

• Seasidelad
              • Sep 2018

Definately inflatable chairs I loved those

Comment

Working...