Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darcynader
    • Nov 2018

Re: TufTex balloons... The new ones SUCKS

I don't doubt anyone's experience, and I completely understand the love of the brand, but this is beyond imagination. If you ever receive a batch of the new type, you will understand what all the fuss is about.

As I said, TT24 didn't make it to 18" and TT17 (even crystal) were also unstable well before rated size. Maybe there is a special stretching dance that will help to mitigate the problem, but this was never necessary in the past.

I also noticed that the new packs are printed with advice to inflate to 85% to allow for variations in temperature. I don't remember seeing that before, but I might have missed it.

Comment

• Seidenki
      • Dec 2016

The "new" formula (note that I think Tuftex have denied there being a 'new' formula) I have found to be a lot more consistently sized between colours and batches and the uninflated balloons age a lot less.

The rated size can be a bit hard to hit on a first inflation. And the trend seems to be that it only happens once the balloon starts to neck. However I think I know the reason for this. Balloon garlands have become quite a thing in recent years and we know Tuftex has leaned into what balloon decorators want (hence all the new colours). But the thing about garlands is that a noticeable number of the balloons are under-inflated. So TT24s in a garland may well be only inflated to sizes from 14 to 20 inches - partly for the more spherical shape, partly because under-inflated balloons are less likely to spontaneously break.

Comment

• Seidenki
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Blown2Bits
        If it is true that a lot of colours (mainly crystal) and 24"s are not in production at the moment, who knows what kind of stock you get.
        Oh I think they are in production. On the Tuftex website, many colours are listed as being available in 24".

I bought a heap of TT24"s from Balloons Direct a few months ago and most packets had very recent batch codes. So I think that's a retailer who goes through their stock fast. In addition, I looked the other day and there are colours available in 24" that were not when I made my order.

Comment

• LoonerPlanet
          • Nov 2018

I think Seidenki has identified the issue. I recently saw "an organic balloon sculpture" at a restaurant. The balloons were way under inflated. Plus, the color scheme has moved to what I call "contemporary zombie apocalypse". In other words, muted colors that seem to create a somber background. (Can you tell that I hate most of the new colors?)

So, why make a nice, stretchy 17" or 24" balloon when decorators want a balloon that only gets to a round 14" or 18" shape? The old Tuftex's were more "look at me"--bright colors and big shape, which worked well for car lots, store openings and birthday parties. That market is pretty much gone as helium prices have risen.

On the plus side, I do believe that new Tuftex will have a longer shelf life. However, they will no longer be a big part of my collection.

Comment

• SAF
            • Nov 2019

I have a few bags of the new 17" tuftex that I do not like. I wanted top try something so I took a bunch of the crystal purple and boiled them on the stove . I took a big pot, a coupe of hand full and boiled them. I think I let them boil for about an hour or so. After that I took them out, dried them off and blew them up at least 3 times to stretch them. The first inflation was bigger then the unboiled ones. And get bigger after each inflation. I have to say they blew up much larger and are softer than the ones I did not boil. While they are not what they use to be they are much better. Then seem just as strong but time will tell...

Comment

• Dust of the Saturn
              Stretched like space-time
              • Feb 2018

I have never experienced the old formula unfortunately. However, I have a reliable method that can turn fresh and tight tuftex to a very soft and stretchy, almost bubblgum like balloon.

I inflate it until it is extremely tight with a neck, then I tie it and leave it for 6-10 hours. The oxidation process starts and the balloon "ages" just enough so that when I deflate it and run it through the hairdryer, the next inflation feels like blowing a big buggle gum. They get huge and if you stretch the neck, they can get a pretty one as well. Though I am extremely scared and never got the chance to see just how huge one can get. I encourage you to try this method.
              And I ask myself, why? and all I hear is the cold, dead silence of the cosmos.

Comment

• Blowitbig
                • Jan 2016

I like the old tt balloons much better, I think the old ones got much bigger
                The bigger the better

Comment

• Slow DeFlaite
                  • Apr 2023

Originally posted by SAF
                  The 17" TufTex balloons were my all time favorite! They would get huge after a few inflations and become extremely soft and squishy. I ordered a bunch here recently and blew up a bunch and made a balloon room. The new ones are hard as a rock, nowhere as strong and smell different. They just pop on their own. I have reinflated some and don't get much bigger and don't get that much more squishy. Also when they pop they leave big pieces unlike the old ones where they would shatter into shards.

Anyone else have the same experience? Was this just a fluke or is this a new and "improved" formula? Purple was one of the colors that gout HUGE on re inflation… Not anymore.

I am now on the hunt for a replace balloon that is like the old 17" ones. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Brands I have tries but not a fan of...

CTI 17" too hard
                  BSA 17" also too hard
                  Kalisan 18" Nice and soft but NOT strong. They will pop just placing a finger on them
                  Decomex 18" Too hard and too small
                  Sempertex 18" I did not like the powder that coated the balloons
                  Walmart 17" too hard.

Qualatex 16" I do like these but too small and not the same shape. The have the silkiest smooth feel when brand new... Just wish they where bigger.

I missed a few brands but I want to see what others are recommending.
                  I haven't noticed anything different yet with their "32 Big Balloons". They start out first inflate rock hard then Swell to 52" with More inflation with every ride. They get softer and bigger.

Comment

• AJK64
                    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by LoonerPlanet

I think Seidenki has identified the issue. I recently saw "an organic balloon sculpture" at a restaurant. The balloons were way under inflated. Plus, the color scheme has moved to what I call "contemporary zombie apocalypse". In other words, muted colors that seem to create a somber background. (Can you tell that I hate most of the new colors?)

So, why make a nice, stretchy 17" or 24" balloon when decorators want a balloon that only gets to a round 14" or 18" shape? The old Tuftex's were more "look at me"--bright colors and big shape, which worked well for car lots, store openings and birthday parties. That market is pretty much gone as helium prices have risen.

On the plus side, I do believe that new Tuftex will have a longer shelf life. However, they will no longer be a big part of my collection.
                    I have noticed this trend too. The strange fashion for muted colours and underinflated balloons in decorations. I saw dozens of balloon displays for halloween in shops and restaurants. All of them with muted oranges and browns and all using this new decorating technique where the balloons are of varying sizes creating what looks like a bubbles in a bath effect. All the balloons only blown to around half size.

The only balloons I saw inflated to a decent size were in people DIY halloween decorations in gardens. The cool thing was, when walking to work this morning there quite a few balloons from gardens that had blown loose and out on the street. I had fun stomping on a few as I walked along.

Comment

• SAF
                      • Nov 2019

Here is what boiling the new and "improved" tuff tex balloons does.These are out of the same bag. The small one is hard as a rock and if I push it larger it will pop. The large one has been boiled and is nice and soft and can get a tad bigger.

Another thing I have done is I use some personal silicon lube on the balloons. This make them so silky smooth and soft.

The processes I use is I put the balloons in a large pot and add water. I bring to boil and boil them until they look milky. I then remove them and dry them. I dry the outside and them turn them inside out inflatable them fully to dry the inside. I then deflate them. I then take the lube and rub a small amount to coat the inside of the deflated balloon with my hand. I then turn them right side out and coat the outside with the lube. I use very little lube! I then inflate to a size and squishieness i like... Then enjoy!

I have filled my room and love to walk naked though the soft gentle caress over my skin... Just wow...

TufTex17.jpg
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Meililoon
                        aka lyckr
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by SAF
                        Here is what boiling the new and "improved" tuff tex balloons does.These are out of the same bag. The small one is hard as a rock and if I push it larger it will pop. The large one has been boiled and is nice and soft and can get a tad bigger.

Another thing I have done is I use some personal silicon lube on the balloons. This make them so silky smooth and soft.

The processes I use is I put the balloons in a large pot and add water. I bring to boil and boil them until they look milky. I then remove them and dry them. I dry the outside and them turn them inside out inflatable them fully to dry the inside. I then deflate them. I then take the lube and rub a small amount to coat the inside of the deflated balloon with my hand. I then turn them right side out and coat the outside with the lube. I use very little lube! I then inflate to a size and squishieness i like... Then enjoy!

I have filled my room and love to walk naked though the soft gentle caress over my skin... Just wow...
                        How does this affect their durability?

Comment

• SAF
                          • Nov 2019

Originally posted by Meililoon
                          How does this affect their durability?
                          They seem just as strong... At least how I play with them...

Comment

• stretchedtight
                            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by SAF

TufTex17.jpg
                            Tough to tell because you can't see the neck. I've had pretty good results with newer tuftex especially after one inflation. Danishlooner just posted some a TT17 that was bigger than a TT24.

Comment

• SAF
                              • Nov 2019

Originally posted by stretchedtight

Tough to tell because you can't see the neck. I've had pretty good results with newer tuftex especially after one inflation. Danishlooner just posted some a TT17 that was bigger than a TT24.
                              I don't neck balloons... I inflated the small one again and it wasn't any bigger. TuffTex has changed (at lest the last batch I got) Boiling them makes them more like the use to be.

Comment

• Merl
                                Hopper research dept.
                                • Apr 2021

It's been well over 10 years since I've had any TT, and then it was only the 24". Just tried a clear 24. The latex feels thinner and less robust than I recall but I had only standard colors back then, not clears AFAIR. Maybe that makes a difference, dunno. Still, this one is not bad at all (but then I'm not particularly picky). Just definitely not the same as before.

Can't speak about 17" as I've never used them.
                                Last edited by Merl; 09-12-2023, 20:06.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍