X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Loon_Lover_626
    • Apr 2017

Making Looner Toys

Hey everyone!
    At heart and by trade I love to build and tinker. I have a 3D printer and can design stuff to be printed. Recently I've been wondering what I could make that could add to the fun in some balloon sessions. I'd love your opinions and ideas!
    Last edited by Loon_Lover_626; 27-05-2017, 14:29.
  • wildheart
    • Apr 2015

Re: Making Looner Toys

I've just got a 3D printer. Might design some custom no return valves. I'll let you know if I think of anything else.
    How big will it go? Only one way to find out...
    My website: loonerstories.weebly.com

Comment

• Loon_Lover_626
      • Apr 2017

Originally posted by wildheart
      I've just got a 3D printer. Might design some custom no return valves. I'll let you know if I think of anything else.
      Oh that's a cool idea!

Comment

• OverTheTop
        • Dec 2013

I've also got a 3D printer. I've used it for a few things:
        • Custom balloon seals (using a rubber band to close the seal) - Didn't work so well, but might work if you're in a pinch I guess.
        • Stencils. Worked very well. I did two layers at 100 microns (one layer just fell apart as you might have guessed) and used a sharpie to draw it onto the balloon. I drew it once using the stencil on an uninflated balloon, and then inflated it about halfway and then traced over it again because it was almost invisible while inflated otherwise.
        • Valves - I didn't do much with these, only really tried it once and didn't have any success. Also, keep in mind that 3D printed materials aren't very hygienic as they're difficult to clean and can make ideal bacteria breeding areas.

You can also use the printer in less obvious ways. If your has a heated bed, you can heat it up and then use it to heat stretch balloons.

Comment

• ride2pop86
          • Apr 2017

Maybe try making molds

Comment

• kosmos
            • May 2017

Originally posted by ride2pop86
            Maybe try making molds
            That would be a good idea, but i dont think 3d printers produce high quality molds or even strong enough to support dipping.

Comment

• OverTheTop
              • Dec 2013

I tried that very briefly. You're right, you can't directly 3D print molds, because of how there are gaps in the surface. Strength isn't an issue as long as you don't heat it up. What you could try (I didn't have the patience) would be to print a negative mold, and use that to cast an actual mold with melted wax or something, smooth out the surface, and then use that. Alternatively, you could try using ABS and then smoothing the surface with acetone.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎