Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OverTheTop
    • Dec 2013

Softening inflatables with ATBC

I found this video a couple weeks ago and decided to try it. I bought 3 ounces of Sculpey clay softener which is what was used in the video, and added them all to an Intex whale, spread it around the inside, and then let it sit for a couple days. I couldn't leave it out laying flat, so I left it folded in a box, taking it out to lie flat at night. After a few days, it seemed to be almost completely absorbed, so I blew up the whale and the effect was instantly noticeable. It was a lot softer, stretchier, and bouncier, compared to the fins which didn't get coated with any of the softener. You know how the vinyl becomes softer and stretchier when warm? It feels like that, but constantly.

Anyways, I was curious as to whether anyone else has tried this yet. It worked very well, was inexpensive, and doesn't seem to have any downsides.
    Last edited by OverTheTop; 07-08-2017, 05:00.
  • Vicci
    Blown to bits
    • Oct 2009

Re: Softening inflatables with ATBC

Oh that's interesting. I assume as it makes it stretchier it'll inflate larger like heat stretching but without the damage that causes?
    I might have to get some and give it a try.

Do you know if it only works on certain kinds of vinyl, or how it would react on a clear inflatable?
    Vicci x

Comment

• OverTheTop
      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Vicci
      Oh that's interesting. I assume as it makes it stretchier it'll inflate larger like heat stretching but without the damage that causes?
      I might have to get some and give it a try.

Do you know if it only works on certain kinds of vinyl, or how it would react on a clear inflatable?
      They do seem to inflate larger. The only problem (with whales at least) is that there's no easy way to spread it into the fins, which means that they don't stretch as easily as the rest of the body which might cause tears.

I haven't had the chance to try it on any clear inflatables, but let me know how it goes!

Comment

• lilolover82
        • Mar 2014

Sounds interesting but does it degrade the vinyl? That could cause leaks.
        Washington State, United States

Comment

• OverTheTop
          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by lilolover82
          Sounds interesting but does it degrade the vinyl? That could cause leaks.
          It's weaker and stretchier but as long as you don't overinflate it too much it should be fine.

Comment

• Riftwing
            • Jun 2017

I really really want to try this! It seems like you need a lot of ATBC to do it though and I'm not too sure where to buy it from in the quantities required. Any ideas?

Comment

• OverTheTop
              • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Riftwing
              I really really want to try this! It seems like you need a lot of ATBC to do it though and I'm not too sure where to buy it from in the quantities required. Any ideas?
              You don't need a lot. In the top of the thread there's a link to Amazon where you can buy a one-ounce bottle of clay softener with ATBC, and 3 ounces is plenty to make a significant difference.

Comment

• MegaInflator
                • Oct 2019

Interesting. I guess this process would work on air beds as well, just would need more of it since it's thicker, heavier material ?

Comment

• mervos
                  • Aug 2014

Yes, you need more ATBC, bt more importantly: You need more time to let the ATBC diffuse through the material. It can take weeks, maybe 2-3 Months (tried that on multiple towables)
                  I had to reinforce all seams of my ATBC modded Intex whale. The treatment definitively weakens the material.

Comment

• MegaInflator
                    • Oct 2019

biggest issue I can see is getting the ATBC. Those one-ounce sculpey bottlesd are goign to add up to a lot of money fast given the amount I'm factoring on using ... is there an alternative product ?

Comment

• OverTheTop
                      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by MegaInflator
                      biggest issue I can see is getting the ATBC. Those one-ounce sculpey bottlesd are goign to add up to a lot of money fast given the amount I'm factoring on using ... is there an alternative product ?
                      If you search on eBay for "sculpey clay softener" or "atbc clay softener" you can find some cheaper off-brand equivalents(?) from China. I've not tried them myself, but given that they're often less than half the price of Sculpey-branded clay softener, it might be worth trying it out. Here's one listing as an example.

Comment

• MegaInflator
                        • Oct 2019

doesn't list the quantity
                        Friend of mine says he might be able to get it via his workplace ... I have some ... BIG ... plans.

Comment

• Tookus
                          • Nov 2019

I've been using it to soften some dolls, I just softened a 48" beach ball, and a 72" in the past few days. The type of vinyl determines how fast it softens. The beach balls are a stiff crinkly vinyl, and take four days or so to soften. Some of my dolls will start softening in 4-6 hours.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎