Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seasider
    • Jan 2016

Loss of helium balloons as giveaways

We went to loch fyne today for lunch and for the first time they had there normal blue belbal balloons, but to my sadness they are now on sticks. I spotted them as I walked in and when I asked the waitress she said that all their beaches were stopping helium due to the cost of helium and the fact that they were less likely to cause litter on a stick.

Although I’m gutted because I absolutely love helium balloon giveaways I think it is only a matter of time before helium balloons are pretty much a thing of the past (especially latex balloons). Living by the sea I have noticed loads of balloon debris on the beach and where I live the local council is just about to ban balloon releases, plus (rightly so) there is a massive drive with plastic and other litter in the sea and this is probably going to have an impact on the amount of freebie balloons I can get (one of my favourite bits about my love of balloons is collecting as many different prints as possible!).

On a positive note I got two inflated balloons on sticks (which weren’t knitted properly) and another handful of uninflated ones as we left. Also another added bonus was the rather lovely manageress decorating a table near us. She only put 2 balloons on the table but did something I’ve never seen in a public place before... she took the 2 balloons from a display near the entrance. I assume due to them being near he door they were slightly hazed through oxizidisation. She put them on the table and got a cloth from the area by the till and polished them to make them look fresh as new. Annoyingly I had my back but my wife said quietly to me “ do you polish your balloons when I’m not watching!!) went a bit red but all in all a very nice natural situation!! Has anyone else had any balloon related experiences recently, loch fyne has turned into a great place to get some freebies 👍
  • Vicci
    Blown to bits
    • Oct 2009

Re: Loss of helium balloons as giveaways

A lot of chains have "environmental responsibility" policies these days which prohibit the use of helium for balloons due to it being a resource in decline.
    I know TRG have this (Brunning & price, Chiquito, Frankie & Benny's, C2C, Garfunkels etc) which is why they've switched to balloons on sticks in the last few years, but Frankie & Benny's is a great place to get balloons (the food is crap though) - just pop in for a coffee and they're usually in a basket by the reception desk so I grab a handful.
    Vicci x

Comment

• Big Balloons!
      • Jul 2016

I think it tends to be down to cost and things like safety and environment as what goes up must come down if they're let go! There's also some cases of people just breathing in all the helium from the balloon without getting air between breaths and being knocked out. Sure hope helium balloons survive into the future!

Comment

• wildheart
        • Apr 2015

It's because we're running out. Helium is the second most abundant element in the universe but we can't produce it on earth. As the cost goes up, it'll be used for scientific and medical reasons not for filling balloons as decoration. At least with balloon sticks, you can blow them even bigger.
        How big will it go? Only one way to find out...
        My website: loonerstories.weebly.com

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍