Old 05-05-2016, 01:31 AM

onemoreblow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Weakspots?
Quality could be better, that's for sure. Especially when heat stretched, then any defect is multiplied by 10.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:05 AM

OverTheTop is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by onemoreblow View Post
Quality could be better, that's for sure. Especially when heat stretched, then any defect is multiplied by 10.
I find that heat stretching balloons can occasionally actually help with weakspots. It makes the latex stretchier so that less pressure is needed to inflate it, which means there's less pressure on the weakspot.
Old 21-05-2016, 08:44 PM

MalunEri is on a distinguished road
Noticed a new one, kinda.
Had a 16" yellow Qualatex with smiley print inflated for 2-3 days now. Blew it to the neck, it felt really tight, but also very safe, so I tied it off and had it around.
But just now, when I held it to the light, I saw kinda like a "line" of small "pinholes". I did not see that at all when I inflated it, and I checked very carefully as I always do.

Can weaknesses like that form over time, or did I just not check close enough?
I immediately freaked out and let a lot of air out of it, and its now tied off to half its original size.
Old 22-05-2016, 12:20 AM

lyckr is on a distinguished road
I haven't had a balloon inflated for more than a day since I was a kid, so I can't really tell you much about that, but the only times I've noticed a similar thing (on the initial inflation) is along the folds, mostly of fluted balloons (Tuf-tex, 16" Cattex etc.). I have checked a balloon I was inflating and thinking it was fine, just to find a couple of pinholes after a while though. Thankfully they seem to be mostly harmless.
Old 22-05-2016, 11:33 AM

This was actually across the balloon and not along the folds.
It might have been folded in the package, but it did seem fine during inflation.
Would probably have been harmless, but the balloon was very tight, so would have been a huge bang.
I cut the knot, let some air out and re tied it, been safe, soft and nice for two days now.

Yeah, pinholes do seem mostly harmless, at least on an already inflated balloon. Usually, they'll probably leak some air, as long as they are not growing in size over time, but they still make me freak out.
Old 22-05-2016, 02:30 PM

Looner Nisden is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MalunEri View Post
Noticed a new one, kinda.
Had a 16" yellow Qualatex with smiley print inflated for 2-3 days now. Blew it to the neck, it felt really tight, but also very safe, so I tied it off and had it around.
But just now, when I held it to the light, I saw kinda like a "line" of small "pinholes". I did not see that at all when I inflated it, and I checked very carefully as I always do.

Can weaknesses like that form over time, or did I just not check close enough?
I immediately freaked out and let a lot of air out of it, and its now tied off to half its original size.
That's just the natural proces of oxidation. Also (sun)light is a big culprit which speeds this proces up even more. So having more or less air in it really won't make that big of a difference.

Qualatex balloons are 100% biodegradable. So when they are inflated for a while... They degrade ofcourse because of this oxidation, haha. Qualatex says 'to decrease this progress, you should cover them with a plastic bag if the will be exposed over a long period of time'.

All in all, balloons were designed to decorate in the first place, not to be used by people with a balloon fetish unfortunately. However, I do recall there is some sort of stuff so you can make them shiny again? Not sure about that...
Old 22-05-2016, 10:44 PM

Yeah, I dislike oxidated balloons, so I usually get rid of them when I think they start to look ugly and feel funny, usually after a week.
I keep them on my bed usually, my bedroom is cold, on the north side of the house (no direct sunlight), and always have thick curtains, so its no light in there most the time.

But guess I should start checking them for weaknesses more often. I don't want one to pop on me while I sleep.
I don't blow them very tight when I want them to last for days, though, sleeping with a fully necked balloon freaks me out.
Old 20-08-2016, 12:35 AM

Loonerportland is on a distinguished road
I've always had fear about weak spots. I usually stop blowing and go in to the next one if I see something.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:24 AM

Ryan556 is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Weakspots?
Yep I've definitely have had bad experiences with weak spots. My most recent experience was a few weeks ago, I was blowing up a gl 900 and I kept turning the electric blower on and off to make sure the gl was shaped right. Well when it was halfway done I kept hearing a small hissing sound which then I saw the hole. For how big it was I'm still shocked that it didn't just blow up on me. I just deflated it after and threw it out. Still kinda bummed since I've only gotten to try the gl 500 and 700 so far.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:43 PM

someloonerguy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Ryan556 View Post
Yep I've definitely have had bad experiences with weak spots. My most recent experience was a few weeks ago, I was blowing up a gl 900 and I kept turning the electric blower on and off to make sure the gl was shaped right. Well when it was halfway done I kept hearing a small hissing sound which then I saw the hole. For how big it was I'm still shocked that it didn't just blow up on me. I just deflated it after and threw it out. Still kinda bummed since I've only gotten to try the gl 500 and 700 so far.
It's possible that the hole could have been patched. If I recall, you clean the area around the hole real well, then use (I think) rubber cement to glue a piece of another balloon over it. Hold the patch down onto the balloon with a spoon and put some weight on it. Wait for a couple of hours before trying to inflate it. I had a Geo Blossom that I tried this with some years ago and when I tried to blow it up the chamber that the hole was in actually inflated. It popped because of another defect when the next chamber started to inflate though (I know it was a different defect because the area around the patch didn't tear, it was on an entirely different part of the balloon.