What is the most over inflated balloon you've seen?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vicci
    Blown to bits
    • Oct 2009

Re: What is the most over inflated balloon you've seen?

Originally posted by Seasider
    I was in my local Homebase last night buying bird food and noticed they now have a balloon tree at the front of the store. They had a variety of print types from the suppliers they use for their kitchens and compani s like silicon paint.
    I've never seen that in a Homebase - might have to go and look.
    I quite often go to the Bunnings (company who own homebase) in Milton Keynes as they always have a tree full of crystal green balloons at the door, nice and easy to grab some on the way out. Sometimes the bag of uninflated ones is lurking around that area so you can grab some of those too.
    Vicci x

Comment

• Seasider
      • Jan 2016

I’ve just re read my last post, I meant balloons with dulux printed on them. I went back there today to take a photo but there was a member of staff stood next to the balloon tree handing them out, they were all yellow ones today with Homebase value printed on them, and to be honest they didn’t look too fresh!

I am the same with you vicci when it comes to bunnings. I have been to our n stay one in Chichester a few times and always come away with their green balloons, they aren’t the best balloons but you can get loads. The Chichester branch is covered in them, 2 tees at the entrance and they are always on the end of each aisle!! My local Toyota garage had a load today but I couldn’t get any unfortunately, I am seeing a lot more balloons around at the minute!!

Comment

• BusterBill
        Founder, Balloon Buddies
        • Nov 2016

My favorite most overinflated balloon ever is here: https://youtu.be/hN5UcdpGTvo

Comment

• Alan
          • Dec 2014

Great thread, and nice to read all of your experiences. I have a few on overinflation: one memory is from when I was 9. It was a jewel tone lilac/purple transparent 16" which I wanted when I saw one at the gift and party shop: Mum was buying wrapping paper. The lady filled it so tightly with air, and it was exciting to see it grow, and the colour tones come alive. It looked like a glass teardrop, it was pouting and rock-hard- my heart started beating fast!! I really didn't want to get fingerprints on it.
          When home, in the living room I gave it a hug. I remember it being so tight I could hardly squeeze it. I remember a very intense rush of happy feelings and butterflies in my stomach as I gently hugged it. The smell was AMAZING too. I had an afternoon peaceful nap only to wake up to my noisy siblings (brother and sister) come home from school. They were older: mid teens, and they started fighting over my balloon while watching tv and sitting on the floor they were trying to snatch the balloon from each other with their feet: I found it exciting and upsetting to see it get covered in sticky bare feet marks, and the clean balloon was shrieking and squealing very loud from deep to high pitch, and it swelled up in the process, and burst with a deafening bang! It did struggle, and I'll say for a tight over inflated balloon, it did put up a struggle! I think sticky sweaty feet do burst balloons quicker. Unfortunately my experience with that balloon was short lived: I felt a rush of excitement and upset.. I started crying.

Comment

• Seasider
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Vicci
            I've never seen that in a Homebase - might have to go and look.
            I quite often go to the Bunnings (company who own homebase) in Milton Keynes as they always have a tree full of crystal green balloons at the door, nice and easy to grab some on the way out. Sometimes the bag of uninflated ones is lurking around that area so you can grab some of those too.
            Hi vicci. I went back tonight and managed to get a photo of the balloon tree. The yellow balloons are Homebase printed ones and the pink ones had a dulux paint print on them. I didn’t take any as they were a little oxidised and weren’t a brand I recognise (they smelt quite sweet if that helps identify them at all!)
            Attached Files

Comment

• senegalass
              • Sep 2018

Actually today, I accidentally blew to pop my unique 36 inch balloon. I am not used to oversized balloons so basically I kept blowing and blowing expecting to neck grow but it did not and after some time it became very hard and made a lot of noise when touching but I kept blowing still thinking it was not full. So basically I stopped when I realized that I prob overinflated it and put my hand on top of it to gently squeeze it and it instantly popped, I was so close to having that blow up in front of my face

Comment

• SuTeKh
                • Sep 2018

The most overinflated balloon ive seen has to be a 24' party city balloon i got up to over 5ft with the air compressor although it took a few preinflations

Comment

• b loony
                  • Oct 2018

when I was about 16 ,a girl I knew gave me advertising balloons ,then one day I was down at a friends and one fell out my pocket and he grabbed it and blew it up way past what I had ever dared too the neck was atlas four feet long and the bulb was about the same ,still remember them the size ratio compared to q24s was mad ,just wish could find something similar.

Comment

• indianlooner3
                    • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Katielynn
                    I hosted a booth at a corporate event/trade show. We had a bunch of trinkets to give out, balloons among them. This thread popped into my head as I was helping to decorate and I aimed to over inflate the helium balloons by as much as I could without bursting them. I definitely made my colleague nervous!

But the most fun was during the actual event. Most of the pile of balloons we had went untouched but occasionally someone would grab one or a handful of them. Finally a pretty cute guy came up and kind of hesitated before grabbing one. I gave him a little wink and said "you want me to blow that for you hon?" He declined politely before I responded, "Aw, that's too bad. I can get them really big!" He looked at me skeptically for a second before he handed it back to me. "Well, if you really want to I guess."

I spent the next minute or so blowing it up by mouth, trying to get it as big as I could, deep breath after deep breath. As the neck began to form the gentleman plugged his ears, preparing for the inevitable pop. I pulled the balloon from my lips , gave him another flirty wink and told him not to worry, I knew what I was doing. I then put the balloon back to my lips and put another three breaths into the expanding orb (all the while thinking, please let me be right and don't let this sucker pop!). Finally, when it was rock hard and even I was scared it would burst, I deflated it a little so I could work the neck and handed him one of the most over inflated balloons I'd ever created (without the intention of blowing to pop).

I had a few other similar interactions where I blew up balloons for people, but nothing quite so dramatic.

Hi Katie,

Would you be kind enough to share your experiences of blowing balloons for others especially for someone on request like the guy above ?

Thanks

Comment

• BalloonBoyUK
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2018

Hi,

I'm not a popper, but this is relevant, I promise...

...I think for many shops/businesses, bigger is better when it comes to balloons. They're more noticeable! So from a marketing/display perspective, they want their balloons as big as possible.

Most people think that balloons should be pear-shaped, and/or have necks on them, and so when they blow them up (with air or helium) they blow them up thinking that's how they're meant to blow them up. And they've often seen other people blow up balloons that big, so they (wrongly) assume that's what they need to do as well. Plus, most of these people who do the balloon inflating, are NOT balloon-decorating professionals.

Any balloon-decorator knows NOT to overinflate balloons. Not only do they tend to pop more easily, but you can't decorate with an overinflated balloon. Plus, aesthetically, they don't look uniform. On top of this, adding more helium into a balloon, to overinflate it, won't make it stay-up much longer anyway. So you're basically just wasting gas. (Moreso, if you're not using professional helium-quality latex balloons, which most companies don't. Why? Because they want cheap balloons, as they see them as throwaway products. So why pay more for something that will simply be popped, let go of, or simply discarded? Hence why 99% of balloons from shops, are made of rubber or very cheap latex/rubber combinations, and never inflate properly or correctly.)

The problems with overinflating balloons, especially the cheap ones that many shops/businesses use, is that you will get large numbers of them pop! Not only is this a pain for the company, but it's not good for customers. Most shoppers don't want a loud, unexpected bang of an overinflated balloon echoing around a shop. It's frightening! So, in fact, it's not good for business to overinflate them anyway. More pops, means more replacements, or a messy-looking balloon display.

Sadly, shops/businesses don't care about the popping either. It's just par-for-the-course. Balloons are just disposable pieces of nonsense for kids, in their eyes.

Personally-speaking, I don't think overinflated balloons with huge necks don't look very nice! I'd rather have a spherical and underinflated 36" balloon, than a hugely (and grossly) overinflated 16" balloon with a gigantic neck that is bulging to the point of bursting!

Comment

• palloncino90
                        • Jan 2018

Yet, personally, overinflated balloons are very sexiest and aesthetic than underinflated balloons although I'm a non-popper.
                        Anyway I agree with the reasons that you wrote.
                        I want to live surrounded of big and colorful balloons

Comment

• Myra
                          • Dec 2018

I'm always on the lookout for over-inflated balloons in public. Love seeing them blown with full necks. If I'm on my own, I'll sometimes touch them as I walk past.

Comment

• Loon119
                            • Jun 2018

Usually when I'm with my wife. She can blow balloons way past their rated size and no she isn't a looner but she knows exactly what she's doing when it comes to pushing balloon boundaries

Comment

• Asclepio
                              • Sep 2018

Actually BalloonBoyUK I think you are seeing the balloons from a very non popper perspective, obviously for a non popper an underinflated balloon will always look better than overinflated (not in all cases), and for a decorator an overinflated loon is not a good idea because they want to decor a keep them alive as long as they can. But for many of us, an overinflated balloon is just beautiful and more sexy than underinflated ones. You need to understand that beauty is not the same for everyone and it changes in every person.
                              A looner looking for fun, against violence or people with hightened moral idealism…. I just care about loons, so don’t ruin the fun.

Comment

• BalloonBoyUK
                                Banned
                                • Dec 2018

Originally posted by DeppLooner
                                You need to understand that beauty is not the same for everyone and it changes in every person.
                                I never claimed it was. Each to their own. I was only explaining something I've noticed about public balloons and public balloon displays. I wasn't saying it was bad, just that that's not the intended way to inflate balloons.

What a looner does, however, is entirely up to them, when it comes to over/underinflating.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎