Old 30-06-2018, 07:50 PM

heaviest is on a distinguished road
Default Big air mattress, bigger people
I brought my swimline double air mattress to the pool yesterday. One of those things with lots of cup holders. It doesn't float as much weight as you might think, so I had it overinflated a bit. It holds me okay, and I was hoping my partner would join me. Together we weigh about 1000 pounds, and I was pretty sure it wouldn't hold us both, but I had to find out.

Also there was someone even larger than my partner. She expressed surprise that the air mattress held me, though she's seen me on pool floats before. I told her I bet it would hold us both. She laughed. Not sure if it was because she and I had popped a smaller air mattress before, sitting on it outside the pool, or if she thought we'd pop this one. I asked her if she wanted it to herself, and she said she would give it a try.

Upper body strength. Get some, sheesh! There was no way she was getting on that thing. Not even with help. Not by standing on the stairs and sitting on the air mattress as I held it. No way she was going to stay on the thing. I got the top half of me on it and tried to pull her aboard. Asked permission to grab ahold of her by more than her arms, tried pulling by her armpits, her bathing suit, her legs. She pulled on me, too. I'm freaking strong, but this was beyond me It felt like she was heavier than me, but I doubt she is. I must find out how much she weighs!

I failed to get her on the air mattress, but I did manage to get most of our combined weight on it at least for short times. It pretty much sunk, but it survived. I wanted to get her to sit on it outside the pool, and join her on it, but the opportunity didn't present itself. Or I chickened out. Maybe tonight.

My partner isn't as heavy as she is, but she's got the upper body strength to get on an air mattress, so I'm still hopeful to get us both on it this weekend. This is the first time we've had a mattress big enough to fit us both, in a pool and not just on the floor, but I don't think it will float us both. I'll be a little disappointed if it does
Old 01-07-2018, 02:28 AM

belcatball is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Big air mattress, bigger people
It's so hot this weekend in the eastern US a pool is about the only way to be comfortable outside. Some public pools have large steps and a shallow section, but the racing pools don't, so that probably makes a big difference. Sounds like you like air mattresses, have you ever tried to sink one of those big whales? Well built yoga balls might have a sporting chance outside the pool, there's a wide variety of them now. Balance might be a factor, but there's ways to make that easier. I suspect you'll have several more chances at the pool this week.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:39 PM

Bubble Boy :-P is on a distinguished road
That sounded like a really cool experience, heaviest!
Old 03-07-2018, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by belcatball View Post
ever tried to sink one of those big whales?
I haven't owned or seen one since I was a kid.

Quote:
Well built yoga balls might have a sporting chance outside the pool
Good yoga balls will hold me no problem, and the thing is, that makes them uninteresting. It gets interesting if I bounce, but yoga balls kinda scare me. When you're my size hitting the floor from any height is kinda dangerous. There's a reason those things make a big deal of being burst proof. Beach balls flatten so much that I'm not far from the floor, but even then I pop them on a mat, and it feels safer humping them than sitting on them. Yoga balls I don't really do.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:50 PM

So, my partner got on the big air mattress with me but she gave up too easily. I think we got all of our weight on it, though, for a short while. Staying on it is more a challenge of balance and strength than of capacity. All but the pillow pretty much sinks, though.

Someone half her size got on it with me, too. A weight mismatch is a lot of fun. This is someone who's been on inflatables with me before, and we're close enough that I can grab ahold of her, and she's not bashful about laying pretty much on me. We were able to float once we figured out where we needed to be to balance. So, this thing will float 800 pounds, but that requires some level of intimacy

I was hoping to get a lot of weight on the thing outside the pool, but nobody hung out on the lawn so the opportunity didn't come up.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:06 PM

I think I understand where you're coming from, this is what I think we have in common:

1) We want something inflatable that can hold our weight, but just barely.
2) We want to find out what it ultimately can hold until it fails.
3) The failure (could be bouncing or adding more weight) should ideally be gradual not violent. Sink, small split, not POW and crash.
4) We need a safe landing if it does fail. I have no interest in hitting the floor from 3 feet, that's for sure.

Does that make sense?

The irony is I am also a totally different size that you, I should have chosen the name lightest . So the way we get there is totally different. I think that's a hoot!
Old 04-07-2018, 03:02 AM

Actually I do like pops, but I want the thing to hold me for a while, first. I like the incongruity of something so insubstantial holding so much weight, and it's only when it fails that it is apparent that there was too much weight on it. But there's also no incongruity if there's so much weight that it fails immediately.

The beauty of air mattresses is that you can pop something big and not fall to the ground very far at all Actually, the big ones hardly ever pop. Sometimes you break an inner support, and that sounds kinda like a pop, but usually they just develop a leak. Sometimes it happens fast and you hear a rush of air, but hardly ever a boom. I'm sure I just haven't used enough weight
Old 04-07-2018, 07:57 PM

Getting down close to the floor is a really good way to minimize fall distance.
Another possibility is to raise the "floor" up closer to you, so your feet can be on the floor (or just off),
but you can still sit. Bouncing can be very controlled this way.
But how to do that? Over years I went through a lot of bad choices.

- Chair, nope (unstable, limits motion, small surface)
- Bed, nope (legs don't reach floor, not adjustable)
- Table, nope (see chair but a lot worse, never even tried)
- Air mattress (stack 3 of these? or 10 cheap ones? too wide, anyway)

Finally, I tried a sturdy step bench with a sturdy latex pillow on top.
Big surface area, adjustable height, built for dynamic loads, light and movable.
If you're on a concrete floor, a yoga mat probably guarantees no slipping.
The one pictured is rated 500 lb. and it makes no sense to just stand on it so it's probably a dynamic limit.
That thing on top is a stretch cotton balloon pillow that squishes to about 3 inches... under enough weight

IMG_0967.jpg