• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Katielynn
    Expert Blower
    • May 2012

Definitions

Hi all,

Was just wondering...what's the difference between Fully inflated and Over inflated?
    I love to hear the BOOM!
  • craggy2012
    • Jan 2012

Re: Definitions

Good point, but really I dunno?

I'd say the manufacturer's recommended size is 'fully' but balloons being balloons each n every one has it's own 'limit'.... i.e. some go tend to go that bit further than others!

Comment

• Vicci
      Blown to bits
      • Oct 2009

I'd say fully inflated is when a round balloon is firm and has that peardrop shape when the neck starts to come out.
      Over inflated is when the neck is fully inflated and the balloon will pop if you put one more breath in to it.

Guess that makes me an over-inflator then.
      Vicci x

Comment

• cgrocarlos
        • Oct 2011

I agree with Vicci. I consider "fully" inflated when the neck just barely begins to start inflating since the pressure in the body becomes greater than the neck's pressure. "Over" inflated in my opinion would be when the neck is fully inflated and any extra air you put in just makes the balloon tighter and tighter

Comment

• iloveballoons
          • Nov 2013

I agree with the difinitions. When the balloon is over inflated, it may burst alone at any moment.

Comment

• Katielynn
            Expert Blower
            • May 2012

I guess I'm in Vicci's camp too. I ask because I was looking up instructions on how to make a pinata for my nephew and they said to fully inflate the balloon, but be careful not to Overinflate it.

I thought that was a strange way to say it. I mean, how do you know if a balloon is fully inflated unless you try and give it one more blow?

Vicci, would you say the one in your logo is fully inflated?
            I love to hear the BOOM!

Comment

• Vicci
              Blown to bits
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Katielynn
              Vicci, would you say the one in your logo is fully inflated?
              Depends which colour theme you're looking at. Most are somewhere between fully inflated an over-inflated.

This one just here next to my name ^ , I'd say over-inflated (It was only a 12"er and it popped after the next breath).
              Vicci x

Comment

• Ash_738
                • Jun 2013

I would agree with you guys also. I know this is balloons, but it applies to inflatables too. Would you say fully inflated when there are no more (or very few) creases left and over inflated when the seams are pretty much standing on end?
                Shut up and blow!

Comment

• Vicci
                  Blown to bits
                  • Oct 2009

Yep, sounds about right. Who wants a wrinkly inflatable
                  I prefer them to make a sound like a drum when you flick them. Maybe that's why my inflatables don't last very long
                  Vicci x

Comment

• Black_Bear
                    • May 2013

From a decorator's perspective. Fully inflate just means that the balloons is the size that it should be. I use sizers and things like that to measure. With 11" or 16" balloons, it is usually until they are tear drop shape. The slightest neck just starting to form on them. Overinflated is anything past that. I know that decorators ALWAYS overinflate their balloons a bit, to allow for the balloons to inflate rounder, checks for defects, and makes it easier to spread hi-float around. It also makes them stronger on the 2nd inflation, and less likely to burst if it just grazes any object with a slightly rough surface.

Comment

• Ash_738
                      • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Vicci
                      Maybe that's why my inflatables don't last very long
                      That is the problem...

So balloons with huge necks and inflatables blown up hard... The way it should be.

The last couple of inflatable pool toys I bought had an inflation line 'gauge' which you compared to a line on a small transparent piece of plastic to see when it was correctly inflated. I used it to see how far beyond I could take it of course, but I haven't seen that before.

I expect it wouldn't be too difficult to add that to balloons too...
                      Shut up and blow!

Comment

Working...