Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Helium Lover
    • Aug 2017

Heat stretching Latex

Any advise on how to heat stretch latex balloons? They are 12in. Ive never done any heat stretching before.
    What about putting a inflated balloon in the dryer? Would that work?
    Last edited by Helium Lover; 17-09-2018, 06:37.
  • OverTheTop
    • Dec 2013

Re: Heat stretching Latex

There are two main ways that I've used:

1. Baking them in the oven. Works best for new (never inflated) balloons - put them in for 5-15 minutes at 290°F, then blow them up while they're still warm. The exact time is something you'll have to figure out yourself, it varies by manufacturer (ones that are already pretty soft like Cattex need less time) and personal preference. If you do bake previously-inflated balloons, cut the time in half.

2. Putting them in a clothes dryer - works well for previously-inflated balloons. You'll have to use some trial and error to determine the best setting and time, but high heat for 15-25 minutes works pretty well in my experience.

For both of these methods, you want to use deflated balloons. I have tried baking inflated balloons a couple times, at 290°F. They begin to stretch and expand within seconds of putting them in the oven though, and grow pretty quickly - I've never left them in for more than 30 seconds. If you want to try this, I'd recommend underinflating them and keeping a very close eye on them. I'd assume that there would be a somewhat similar effect with putting inflated balloons in the dryer, so I wouldn't recommend it unless your dryer has a transparent door or similar.

Comment

• OverTheTop
      • Dec 2013

Re: Heat stretching Latex

Originally posted by onemoreblow
      You can also get mesh bags at the grocery store meant to go in the dryer to keep your balloons from getting torn up. They look similar to this:
      https://www.twotwentyone.net/wp-cont...ngerie-bag.png
      I use ziploc bags, that way I can keep the balloons intact and dry while also drying clothes.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎