Dislike for popping applying to other stuff?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meililoon
    aka lyckr
    • Sep 2014

Dislike for popping applying to other stuff?

I was wondering if there is anyone else who's either afraid of or just doesn't like popping balloons who also dislike breaking other things. I've noticed that I really dislike stretching rubber bands around big things and it always takes me forever to build up the "courage" to break an egg when I'm cooking, much like it does when I'm trying to pop a balloon when I'm not really prepared for it.
  • OverTheTop
    • Dec 2013

Re: Dislike for popping applying to other stuff?

Originally posted by lyckr
    I was wondering if there is anyone else who's either afraid of or just doesn't like popping balloons who also dislike breaking other things. I've noticed that I really dislike stretching rubber bands around big things and it always takes me forever to build up the "courage" to break an egg when I'm cooking, much like it does when I'm trying to pop a balloon when I'm not really prepared for it.
    It's similar for me. I am a semi-popper, I don't mind pops but I tend to pop intentionally. (If other people pop I'm fine) I also don't like stretching rubber bands too much, but I don't have a problem with eggs.

Comment

• MalunEri
      • Sep 2015

i dislike loud bangs in general, tend to shy away from stuff like fireworks. even champaign bottles opening can get freaky (but at least i dont flee the room whenever that happens)

Comment

• Harley
        • Jan 2016

I agree with being nervous around any thing that can suddenly make a loud noise, not just by breaking. I'm better these days but I used to be real phobic about it.
        Mentioning champagne bottles brings an incident to mind - on a trip to Prague, I tried several kinds of bottled beer, and being slightly tipsy I failed to reflect that there might be a purpose to one of them having a wire contraption holding the cork in place...
        Needless to say, it opened with a pop bordering on a bang, leaving me with a somewhat shell-shocked expression...

But it proves I'm progressing in getting over the fear, so it was a good sign!

Comment

• Bubble Boy :-P

Other stuff? Sometimes when I get the green giant brand frozen creamed spinach I can never bring myself to pierce thru the plastic to vent the way the directions specify. So I sit in front of the microwave & watch the plastic grow bigger & bigger until it swells into a big bubble then I'll tell you that thing,no exaggeration, goes off like a gunshot! One day my Dad was in the living room blasting the TV & my frozen meal went off. He screamed, " what the hell was THAT?"
          " Nothing pop...just my spinach. Means its ready...."

Comment

• bubblesNdragons
            • Oct 2019

I'm mildly phonophobic in general, and latex balloon pops are the worst offenders. I'll yelp when someone slams a door or honks a car horn but my reaction is typically not as bad.
            Although once when my roommate and I were mucking around with some condoms we got, for some reason I started getting uncomfortable when she stretched the condom over her fist. I thought it would snap off, which sounded weird to me because I know damn well condoms are more durable than that.
            *notices bulge*

Comment

• BYGavia
              • Dec 2017

I can’t stand to be near a champagne bottle when it opens. I also don’t enjoy stretching rubber bands to their limit.

Comment

• Kiltieman
                • Jan 2014

I jump at any sudden bang. Its the anticipation of the bang that makes it a lot worse. If you sit in front of someone who is blowing a balloon up to me its far more scary then if you dont see the balloon and someone sticks a pin in it! people popping those cellular wrappings are the same. My sister used to blow up paper bags and then thump them with her fist against her palm to burst them. She knew it made me jump.

Comment

• Blowitbig
                  • Jan 2016

I also don't like stretching rubber bands to their max , and i nervous when im near someone who is doin it ,
                  The bigger the better

Comment

• Smelter12001
                    • Nov 2015

It doesn't bother me, but I could see the biscuits in the little paper cans popping open being hard for the nonpoppers to open. Grab the corner tab and start peeling it open and it suddenly pops open. High elevation seems to effect the intensity of the pop. Something I've noticed in my travels, next time you travel high into the mountains take a bag of Doritos with you. Take note of the pressure in the bag at sea level and compare it to the pressure at the summit. At 5500ft a bag of Doritos is close to popping open. Now I want to try inflating a balloon to the edge and head up the pass and see if it pops on its own.

Comment

• BeNasty
                      • Oct 2019

I think my dislike for balloon popping came from there being shooting in the middle of the night right by my childhood house. It's not trauma-y now if I accidentally pop, but loud sounds in public do slightly get me.

Comment

• Kiltieman
                        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by bubblesNdragons
                        I'm mildly phonophobic in general, and latex balloon pops are the worst offenders. I'll yelp when someone slams a door or honks a car horn but my reaction is typically not as bad.
                        Although once when my roommate and I were mucking around with some condoms we got, for some reason I started getting uncomfortable when she stretched the condom over her fist. I thought it would snap off, which sounded weird to me because I know damn well condoms are more durable than that.
                        Thats my problem too although its the anticipation of a sudden loud bang that makes me jump as with someone or myself blowing balloons up. Its a long story but basically i ended up dead scared of balloons and in later life came to like them and also the danger element of blowing a balloon up to its utmost limit of stretch. I one bursts on me Im stunned for a few minutes but can then carry on.

Comment

• palloncino90
                          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by BlueYoshi
                          I can’t stand to be near a champagne bottle when it opens. I also don’t enjoy stretching rubber bands to their limit.
                          Same here. I really hate it. I just enjoy fireworks.
                          I want to live surrounded of big and colorful balloons

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎