Just touching a balloon can cause it to pop?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • onemoreblow
    Master Over Inflator
    • Sep 2013

Just touching a balloon can cause it to pop?

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    Last edited by onemoreblow; 29-09-2022, 02:51.
  • Pink Balloon
    • Oct 2016

Re: Just touching a balloon can cause it to pop?

Happened to me before, such a fun surprise if you're into popping.

Comment

• Meililoon
      aka lyckr
      • Sep 2014

I don't think static on its own can cause a balloon to pop. I've also had ballons pop as soon as I touched them though, but just like you, they've been really tight and probably would've popped soon anyway.

Comment

• Seidenki
        • Dec 2016

Had a Q24 do that to me once - it had a pinhole and I heard the air escaping. But it must've been unstable and about to go anyway because when I gently touched the stretched latex where the hole was *BANG*. And we all know how loud Q24s are...

Comment

• craggy2012
          • Jan 2012

Static can pin hole a balloon, but the strangest thing I've ever seen was walking through a car plant's paint shop with a bunch of helium balloons. As we walked through the building you could hear balloons bursting and popping ahead of us. Then mine all within a few minutes of each other popped. I walked in with five, and came back out with five lengths of string!

I was told the air within the building was filtered and treated with negative ion's to repel dust particles in the air that could effect a car's paint finish.... but no one could explain the what was happening to the balloons.

Comment

• Meililoon
            aka lyckr
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by craggy2012
            Static can pin hole a balloon, but the strangest thing I've ever seen was walking through a car plant's paint shop with a bunch of helium balloons. As we walked through the building you could hear balloons bursting and popping ahead of us. Then mine all within a few minutes of each other popped. I walked in with five, and came back out with five lengths of string!

I was told the air within the building was filtered and treated with negative ion's to repel dust particles in the air that could effect a car's paint finish.... but no one could explain the what was happening to the balloons.
            It could be something in the paint itself. I've heard about people claiming to have balloons pop from touching walls painted with oil based paint.

Comment

• blnppr
              • Jan 2016

This happened to me just last night. It was a balloon i had ridden so hard I was shocked it didn't pop. After I was "done" with it, I put it in the bath tub. I reached down a few hours later and the second my hand touched it BOOM. Well really just a soft pop.

Comment

• Claire123
                • Oct 2016

I've had this happen a lot. Sometimes the balloon is just so overinflated it's unpredictable and the slightest touch causes it to go bang.

Comment

• Kiltieman
                  • Jan 2014

I'm never happy with a balloon unless its blown up to the absolute limit. I dont like them popping mainly as its a waste of good balloons but often I try to pickup a balloon with one hand and just as I get a little grip on it BANG!
                  I think some balloons are made of mixes of latex and plastic now and they can be unstable. A few years ago ASDA used to sell bags of 100 balloons for 4.99 and they blew up quite big and tight but then they would just burst of their own accord later. Not good if you had them lying around in the bedroom and they went bang around 3am lol.

Comment

• bagpopper
                    semipopper, balloons&bags
                    • Aug 2016

Originally posted by onemoreblow
                    Even an orange can pop a balloon...
                    This is the result of limonene from the orange dissolving or weakening the rubber balloon. Limonene is an essential oil that is present in orange peels in fa...

And so can vegetable oil apparently!
                    That's interesting, and might actually be a exciting way to pop balloons (because you don't know exactly when it will pop)

Comment

• npratt
                      • Jul 2016

"Goof Off" solvent pops a balloon within seconds.

Dunno if you folks ever saw the "Unpoppables" TV show a few years back, might be available on Youtube.
                      There was one episode where they were preparing one of their sculptures in a warehouse, and ever couple of minutes >BANG< one of the balloons would pop. They later found out that it was a former glass recycling facility and theorized that there were microscopic glass particles floating around.

Comment

• BYGavia
                        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by npratt
                        ... They later found out that it was a former glass recycling facility and theorized that there were microscopic glass particles floating around.
                        Sounds like a health hazard...like asbestos or something. That's how that works, right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• srob2
                          • Dec 2017

I've had many overinflated balloons explode on their own, without touching anything, sometimes bumping them does this too. If you are into seeing how big it can get without popping, I am surprised this doesn't happen to you more often.

Comment

• wildheart
                            • Apr 2015

Well if they're really overinflated or there's a weak spot, even when left alone the latex will be strained and slowly breaking apart at the molecular level. Once it gets to a certain thinness, it'll burst. That's why I don't like tying them off once they're really big. Only a matter of time before it goes off. Could be fun if you like unexpected pops though. If you want to speed it up, turn the heating on after blowing them up. The air will expand slightly with the heat. Should be enough to pop a balloon if it's big enough.
                            How big will it go? Only one way to find out...
                            My website: loonerstories.weebly.com

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍