Has the quality of vinyl/PVC declined over the years?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PVC Vinyl Enthusiast
    PVC Fetish
    • Jan 2013

Has the quality of vinyl/PVC declined over the years?

In need of a new 'PVC fix', I recently bought an "Azure Float and Deck" pool lounger. It was recently manufactured (2013). I was quite disappointed upon opening the box, as the PVC material was not the lovely soft and flexible PVC material I crave for, but a rather poor quality and hard material.

What has happened to PVC inflatables? Back in the 1990's (in fact, up until 2005), inflatables were made from a sensually soft, rubbery and very pliable PVC.

I suspect that the EU phthalate plasticiser regulations are to blame for the decline in PVC quality.

And why are flocked inflatables all the rage these days?

I say bring back the classic 1990's bubble inflatable furniture packed with those phthalate plasticisers.
    Enjoy soft, shiny and smooth PVC (inflatables and clothing). The 6P-free/10P-free material is total rubbish.
  • Ash_738
    • Jun 2013

Re: Has the quality of vinyl/PVC declined over the years?

I agree, it does seem that the quality of new inflatables is not what it used to be. They seem to be much stiffer and less stretchy than I remember them being 10 - 20 years ago. I also remember the smell of inflatables was different a long time ago (better) especially if left out in the sun for a while.

I've long silently lamented the fact that it's pretty well near impossible to buy 'proper' inflatable furniture any more unless ordered online. One hopes the flocking thing will pass and places will start to sell real glossy PVC again.
    Shut up and blow!

Comment

• craggy2012
      • Jan 2012

I'd say it has in general, I guess it's the manufacturers cost cutting with thin, harder matte vinyl stock over the thicker gloss types.

Fortunately, or if you can afford them, there are still some great, large gloss inflatables to be bought, but shipping cost can be a real bitch

Comment

• lilolover82
        • Mar 2014

Is it just me or are the air mattresses and tubes more likely to spring a leak
        due to the quality of the vinyl?
        Washington State, United States

Comment

• Jkloon
          • Aug 2013

@craggy, where can you get them? What websites?

I find that some of the Intex inflatables are very nice and soft, such as the large black Intex orca.

Has anybody bought anything from Inflatableworld.de? I'm interested but am weary of quality.

Comment

• craggy2012
            • Jan 2012

@JKloon, there's IW in Germany and Beach Ball world over in the US for large beach balls ect. Then the odd large items tend to pop up on FleeBay too from time to time. I'm not into custom 'animal' inflates though, just the large sized pool floats, balls, rings and dinghies for me.

Comment

• Jkloon
              • Aug 2013

@Craggy okay thank you

Comment

• craggy2012
                • Jan 2012

@Jkloon, no probs.

Comment

• tkvinyl
                  • Feb 2014

The seam welding technology has advanced so that now a beach ball rarely has a seam blow out. They tend to just explode like a balloon to shreds. I miss the weak seam beach balls of the 90's. I find that the lowest quality beach balls today seem to be Disney beach balls made in China. They are soft, the surface is matte so they feel good against skin, and they start to leak after a few uses. I like that. My thing is accidental leaks and surprise seam blowouts. I hate the new seam welding technology, it is too good.

Comment

• Mister_I
                    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by tkvinyl
                    The seam welding technology has advanced so that now a beach ball rarely has a seam blow out. They tend to just explode like a balloon to shreds. I miss the weak seam beach balls of the 90's. I find that the lowest quality beach balls today seem to be Disney beach balls made in China. They are soft, the surface is matte so they feel good against skin, and they start to leak after a few uses. I like that. My thing is accidental leaks and surprise seam blowouts. I hate the new seam welding technology, it is too good.
                    I love when my toys spring sudden hisssssssing leaks.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎