Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Thud Joe
    • May 2017

Some confusion regarding phthalates?

Finally found a manufacturer in China who is willing to do me a short run of a custom inflatable; 50 units for AU$1000 including shipping. This is for 42 inch black "8" pool balls.

Strange thing is in the email exchange that guy noted that phthalates are not the thing that makes inflatables soft and stretchy, which is on the contrary to what I've always believed. It may be also just a language thing. Here's my original message then his response which seems somewhat confusing.

Hi Nick He,

Thank you for your email.

I'm actually looking for a manufacturer that can make inflatables using the older phthalate beach ball plastic.

A common sentiment amongst my friends and I is that newer beach balls aren't as soft, shiny, and squeaky as older ones from 20 to 30 years ago.

Some places have banned phthalates in plastic, unfortunately this means that todays beach balls use a harder plastic which feels like either tent or umbrella plastic. The older phthalate plastic felt much softer like a new balloon kind of feel. It was softer and somewhat more stretchier.

So is it possible for you to source 0.12 mm black glossy phthalate based beach ball plastic for the enclosed design?

If so, how much for a trial order of 50 units + shipping to Sydney Australia. We would like to order more if you can source the right type of plastic.

Thanks

Xxxxxxxxxx

###################

Dear Xxxxxxxxx

Thanks for your information.

Concerning the PVC, it will be go stiffer as time goes by.
    It does not related with phthlate or not.

About the material, for such bigger ball, we will use the material in 0.18mm black shinny PVC for it., 0.12mm is too thin.

For 50pcs trial order, total cost is USD650, including the air express cost to Sydney(Door to Door).

Pls kindly note: for the 42inch ball, the inflatable size is around 70cm diameter.

Thanks a lot.
  • OverTheTop
    • Dec 2013

Re: Some confusion regarding phthalates?

My interpretation is that they're saying that over time, the material will lose its stretchiness, regardless of what type of plasticizer is used.

Comment

• VinylRider
      • Sep 2018

A cheap and great phthalate-containing inflatable is surplus dunnage bags. Although they are made of relatively thick PVC, the phthalate content (they are not regulated by phthalate content as they are intended for industrial use) makes them nice and stretchy. They are also quite cheap; they sell for under $10. Finally they are available in various sizes.

Comment

• Joe Sixpanel
        • Sep 2018

What is a dunnage bag? tell me more.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍