Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MalunEri
    • Sep 2015

Regaining trust...

This is a question for fellow non-poppers out there, especially for us phobics...

Say, you have some bad luck and a balloon does pop on you, how do you cope with that in regaining trust with the rest of the balloons in that bag, or even the brand?

I'm paranoid around weakspots, and that may have saved my ass a few times, but there are times where I feel brave, blow a little too much, try to squeeze out a neck or whatever, and pop. Last, it happened with a Tuf Tex 17 from a bag where the balloons do have that old feel, so I probably shouldn't have trusted it in the first place, but still, I couldn't find any weakspots on it before it went out with a boom when it reached the rated size and I tried to squeeze out a neck.
    Since that, I haven't dared blowing any balloons from that bag to near the same size... while I still neck balloons from other brands. Not even sure I'll order Tuftex again, even though I know it's a really strong brand when the balloons are fresh (they were kinda old and sticky when I got them).

Do you just shrug off the pop and keep going, or do you lose trust in a brand. Also, I noticed a lot of my balloons do have some "small pinholes", especially when they reach their rated size. Are those a cause of worry? Doesn't really seem like it, but they do freak me out.
  • Meililoon
    aka lyckr
    • Sep 2014

Re: Regaining trust...

These days I just shrug off unexpected pops. It's mostly the noise that I don't like, but I always wear earplugs when I have balloons around, so it doesn't bother me much then. By the time I had the chance to order specific brands of balloons, I had already turned into a semi-popper, so I never really had any issues with specific brands.
    As for pinholes, they usually don't pose a threat. I've overinflated a balloon, just to find a couple of pretty big pinholes a couple of times, and the balloon didn't pop because of them.

Comment

• MalunEri
      • Sep 2015

Earplugs sounds good, except I hate having anything inside my ears. But considering getting a some real earprotection meant for gunfire. I'll probably become a bit braver then.

I often see pinholes and those make me just stop inflating and tie the balloon right away, which is a shame. Especially balloons like the belbal 14 seems to have lots of them, but I see them being overinflated with huge necks in a ton of videos, so either I have the worst luck, or they are perfectly safe? Still, freaky.

Comment

• Meililoon
        aka lyckr
        • Sep 2014

Belbals seems to have a lot of them. It used to freak me out too, but as I said, they don't seem to do any harm most of the time.

I agree that earplugs are uncomfortable, but they seem to do a better job than ear protectors (or maybe the ones I have are too cheap) and they don't get in the way. I usually wear headphones as well.

Comment

• OverUsed
          • Apr 2014

pretty hard question really The answer would be different for everybody but personally if I get an unexpected pop I'd try again with a different balloon in the same bag but under inflate it an inch or two. If it can still be played with safely I shrug it off as a bad balloon in a good bag.

otherwise if the whole bag is bad I end up using them for art and craft projects

Comment

• gayloonfcker
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by onemoreblow
            Sometimes it's particular colors that have quality problems or particular batches. But you could always inflate with a pump or hose from another room or something to test them first I guess. Or listen to ear buds to block out the sound of a pop.
            I find the browns in any of the TTs to be a waste. They should just pull them from their stock. It's why I buy single colors now. It's just a waste of money when I can't even enjoy the balloon.

Comment

• MalunEri
              • Sep 2015

Had a yellow crystal Q24 pop today, and I'm not even sure why. Just inflated it, it had a nice and fine neck, but I've inflated them to that size before and they could still handle most my weight on them, so I didn't really think much about it.
              I checked for weakspots without finding any, then tied it and started bouncing it around. Then, as it was hovering mid air, it just exploded randomly.

Shame, Q24 is my favorite brand, and even though I've had one or two pop before, I've never had any that I couldn't see coming like this.
              Gonna be a while until I neck them out like that again, and I'll be much more careful about checking for weakspots... but I still trust them, kinda, and they don't really pop that loud either (compared to the really loud TT17 I had pop before it reached max size, this was actually more like a THUD than anything).

Comment

• Meililoon
                aka lyckr
                • Sep 2014

I think it's just bad luck. As you say, Q24s should be able to handle that easily. I've had some bad luck with some I bought a while ago too, but none from the batch I bought five years ago have popped on me.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎