• Show
Clear All
  • JamesPopper
    • Nov 2016

How long do inflatables generally last?

How long?
  • craggy2012
    • Jan 2012

Re: How long do inflatables generally last?

One of my oldest is a dinghy that's nearly 30 years old now and still going strong, still very supple and has no leaks.

Comment

• Peter P.
      • Dec 2016

like craggy said, linflatables can last for a very long time, if you take care of it. Other than latex balloons, vinyl is less likely to "wear out". Maybe UV radiation will cause some demage over time.

Comment

• craggy2012
        • Jan 2012

I've also got an Bestway gloss black Orca Whale I bought back in 1992 that we still use regularly. Other than the printed detail looking a bit tired now- this too is still good and airtight despite having to take the combined weight of two adults regularly

Comment

• craggy2012
          • Jan 2012

I think a lot of today's inflatables use poor formulations of vinyl, the plasticisers added to make vinylmonomer into PVC. The old DNCP, or derivatives used back then made for a very stretchy, soft PVC which could take a fair amount of stress by the vinyl stretching and 'giving' before the seams reached their limit and splitting. These days, the biologically safer plasticisers tend to make a more rigid form of PVC, whilst still flexible it's less stretchy which means the seams often either give out and split with use, or even just folding them across a seam when packing them away causes a lot of stress on the seam at the point it's folded which often leads to splits ect.

At the end of the day though, once a inflatable bursts a seam in our house these days we just dispose of it and replace, not really worth the time and effort repairing them- though I will patch up any holes they invariably pick up!

Comment

• lilolover82
            • Mar 2014

The older the inflatable manufacturing date the better the vinyl, and less chances of leaks under normal circumstances.
            Washington State, United States

Comment

• Inola_fox
              • Jan 2017

Yeah I have had an intex orca last for about 20 years now, however like craggy says the newer stuff doesn't last as long because of lack of stress it can take. Though seems like some of intex's realistic stuff is better in that regard. Though for me those are just too ugly to own hehe. Also I know jets vinyl is very nice still and very stretchy and can last for years, maybe a life time if taken care of.

Comment

• ChillinHaze
                • Sep 2016

What about Puffypaws inflatables? Are these in a better quality? I'll soon get a Zenith Dragon and am worried that I might pop it while riding on it despite being rather lithe. But hearing all this about the decline in vinyl quality is making me worried. I would be so heartbroken if the draggy would burst on me.

Comment

• Peter P.
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by ChillinHaze
                  What about Puffypaws inflatables? Are these in a better quality? I'll soon get a Zenith Dragon and am worried that I might pop it while riding on it despite being rather lithe. But hearing all this about the decline in vinyl quality is making me worried. I would be so heartbroken if the draggy would burst on me.
                  I don't have first hand experience, but this particular brand should offer good quality as their products are more pricy.

To make sure it doesn't burst on you, you could reinforce the seems with vinyl cement.

And thanks craggy for your insights- learnt a lot from it.

Comment

• lilolover82
                    • Mar 2014

Originally posted by ChillinHaze
                    Another thought is to always release a little air, inflating the inflatable too tightly puts stress on it and can make it spring leaks prematurely.

Comment

• ChillinHaze
                      • Sep 2016

Thanks guys, your answers eased my worries. ^^
                      I really am looking forward to getting that Zenith, it's my first giant inflatable.

Comment

• OverTheTop
                        • Dec 2013

You can also repair inflatables much more easily than balloons. Unless you blow a seam out you can usually get it fixed relatively easily.

Comment

• thevinylrider
                          • Apr 2016

Ive owned a color wheel and river rat swim tube 48 inch since 2011 no leaks. No special storage. Vinyl never an issue, its always a tiny seeem tear that gets you.

Comment

• craggy2012
                            • Jan 2012

Blowing a seam out can be a good thing on the more simple construction items like, say a beach ball.

You can turn them inside out, glue scrap vinyl along all the seams and end panels, then turn it back right way out and reseal the blown out seam and..... vola- a much tougher item you've now got and you'll soon get the knack for repair and mod work on more complex items

Comment

• lilolover82
                              • Mar 2014

Wouldn't turning a inflatable inside out through a blown seam sretch the already blown seam and make the leak larger?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍