Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jkloon
    • Aug 2013

Overinflated balloons

Ok, so I recently inflated a 15" Unique punch balloon to 22"! (And tied it, and rode it) I'm pretty sure that's the most I've ever inflated a balloon past its recommended size. It got me wondering... How much have you overinflated balloons. How big we're they supposed to get, and how big did they get (also what kind were they) and if you're willing to share, what did you do with them?
  • Black_Bear
    • May 2013

Re: Overinflated balloons

I usually get my Qualatex 16" balloons to 19". I check for defects and go from there. I don't think they get much bigger than that when I b2p them though. I always inflate their neck fully when I play with them, and they are very tight.
    I have had a Tuftex 17" get to over 20" before. But I don't really play with them, just b2p, so I have never measured except once.
    The rare times where I take out a Qualatex 24", I know that they get much, much bigger than 24". Easily 30", so that would be my biggest when I inflated one all the way down it's neck.

Comment

• maniek89
      • Jan 2014

Live of overinflated balloons are to short. But often i can't resist

Comment

• OverTheTop
        • Dec 2013

I've gotten a Unique 36" to almost 45" once but it popped almost immediately when I started playing with it :/

Comment

• RasaDaana
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Black_Bear
          I usually get my Qualatex 16" balloons to 19". I check for defects and go from there.

So I have a question about this..... What constitutes a defect? Sometimes I have a balloon that has a hole, that is obvious to me that it is a defect. But what about little spots where the balloon is discoloured? This spot is usually a few millimetres in circumference and the coloration is usually light than the area around it. it appears to look like a thin spot in the latex... got a hint?

Comment

• OverTheTop
            • Dec 2013

Originally posted by RasaDaana
            So I have a question about this..... What constitutes a defect? Sometimes I have a balloon that has a hole, that is obvious to me that it is a defect. But what about little spots where the balloon is discoloured? This spot is usually a few millimetres in circumference and the coloration is usually light than the area around it. it appears to look like a thin spot in the latex... got a hint?
            It could be a defect, or it could just be a natural discoloration. If it's an older balloon, it might have started to deteriorate. If it's visible when it hasn't been inflated before, then it's likely a defect, however.

Comment

• RasaDaana
              • Feb 2014

I can't see it when uninflated, but I can see it when holding the balloon to the light. Is it on the other side of the latex? Does it make it any weaker?

Comment

• OverTheTop
                • Dec 2013

I can't see it when uninflated, but I can see it when holding the balloon to the light. Is it on the other side of the latex? Does it make it any weaker?
                It might just be a flute of the balloon. I'd say its not a defect.

Comment

• RasaDaana
                  • Feb 2014

Not fluted, hold a few inflated balloons up to a light, you'll see a little circular spot that is a different colour than the surrounding latex it looks about the size of a pin head

Comment

• OverTheTop
                    • Dec 2013

Not fluted, hold a few inflated balloons up to a light, you'll see a little circular spot that is a different colour than the surrounding latex it looks about the size of a pin head
                    Then it's probably nothing to worry about, could just be a discoloration.

Comment

• RasaDaana
                      • Feb 2014

Could someone remind me again what the size rating means? Yes, I understand that this is the recommended size of the balloon, but what exactly is it measuring. I likely have been severely underinflating balloons for years....For rounds does, for example 24" mean circumference? For zepplins is it diameter then length? Shaped balloons like dolls is it arbitrary?

Comment

• OverTheTop
                        • Dec 2013

Could someone remind me again what the size rating means? Yes, I understand that this is the recommended size of the balloon, but what exactly is it measuring. I likely have been severely underinflating balloons for years....For rounds does, for example 24" mean circumference? For zepplins is it diameter then length? Shaped balloons like dolls is it arbitrary?
                        It usually means diameter in all cases of round balloons, and diameter and length in zeppelin style balloons.

Comment

• RasaDaana
                          • Feb 2014

Diameter where? widest point? This is extremely confusing and unclear.

Comment

• OverTheTop
                            • Dec 2013

Diameter where? widest point? This is extremely confusing and unclear.
                            Usually at the center.

Comment

• Asclepio
                              • Sep 2018

I find the qualatex 16 and 18 usually gets to the rated size and never go for a bigger size. I had measured the diameter and some qualatex feels already tight at 15 inches, and if you continued they pop at 16.5 or maximum 17 inches, I know that some years ago the qualatex balloons reached bigger sizes than the recommended but now I find them unattractive because they cannot reach much more than the recommended size, and for me it is a turn off.
                              On the other hand I find the uniques balloons the ones who can grow much more than the normal size, I had measured some 16” and they went as big as 18 or 19” on first inflation, imagine the second or third where I measured 20 o 21”
                              The same is with the unique 24” model, I had some of them still alive at 30 inches! (By the way, at this size and pressure they pop unexpectedly)
                              Some friends have told me that tuftex can do it very good at growing much more than the rated size, but I have not a lot of experience with them.
                              A looner looking for fun, against violence or people with hightened moral idealism…. I just care about loons, so don’t ruin the fun.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎