Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scuba
    • Jan 2017

My biggest dream: flying with a cluster of helium balloons

The first time that I saw this was on the Discovery channel. There was this guy who strapped a huge cluster of helium balloons to a paragliding harness and floated off. He also has a website called: www.clusterballoon.com.
    I have visited the site a lot of times dreaming about it would be me floating off. Just thinking about it will makes me excited. How the feeling of being lighter and lighter when each balloon is strapped to you must be absolutely wonderful.
    I have been playing at the dunes by the Northern See with my 12m2 foil kite and accidentally wondering into the area where the wind lifts up over the dune, causing the kite to lift me ten meters up in the air. It's the most amazing feeling, but the wind has to be straight onto the dune to get the lifts.
    I still have the dream of being lifted up in the air under cluster of helium balloons even though I have tried this.
    Do you have that dream also?
    Last edited by scuba; 29-12-2017, 10:04.
  • SlightlyDeflated
    • Nov 2016

Re: My biggest dream: flying with a cluster of helium balloons

That would be great, until the part where you gotta come down, aieeeee!

Comment

• Bubble Boy :-P

Oh,yes!
      That has been my dream for as far back as i could remember
      & yes I'm totally guilty of watching cluster balloon videos on YouTube, for sure! & my dream goes both ways...I either want to be the one whome someone attaches the balloons to, or i want to be the one who attaches the balloons to someone else & watch them float away!

Comment

• scuba
        • Jan 2017

I also watch a lot of YouTupe, dreaming.
        I think the way that they come down again is to eather pop or deflate a balloon one at the time.
        If I only had a lot of balloons and helium

Comment

I certainly have the balloons! Probably more than enough for a cluster balloon! I just need the stinkin helium! How in the world do these cluster balloonist's afford all that helium?!
          But just knowing i have the necessary amount of balloons excites me! I'm seriously thinking of saving up...Helium is readily available here in the states from wielding suppliers. I'm gonna check some suppliers & price some pure, industrial helium...not the kind that gives you the funny voice...I'm talking about the stuff that suffocates you if inhaled....
          They do sell the small "balloon time" brand helium tanks at the dollar store for 30 bucks. Its the size of a propane tank...but it would probably take over a hundred to fill a cluster balloon...& the helium is of poor quality & is not pure....this dream is gonna happen come hell or high water! I'm determined, scuba! One of us is gonna float on balloons & see the ground under our feet!

Comment

• scuba
            • Jan 2017

Oh boy it could be so cool to try. Wish I had the money.

Comment

• Big Balloons!
              • Jul 2016

Something I dream of doing too. Even if I couldn't do it outdoors (which I probably won't because of media and fetishes) I would probably hire a building with a high ceiling to do it in and tether myself so I could play and keep the balloons for a while.

It'll definitely have to stay a dream for a while until I sort out my life first - I need to be able to afford the helium! Speaking of helium, I'd probably rent some industrial tanks from a welding supplier. Over time I'd buy tanks and get them refilled when needed.

There's some helium calculators online which I'm not sure how accurate they are but I think they'll be a good barometer. Charts like these work well but skips from 5.5' to 8' without 6'.

Remembering a good harness and safe descent is important too.

I like to also read this site a lot, he has 80 cluster balloon flights in a log book. Not sure what happened to him, there's been no updates since 2011 that I can find.

Best of luck to everyone else wanting to do this!

Comment

Thanks for the info big balloons!
                I also really like the idea of doing it in a large enclosed space. Maybe fill the balloons to neutral buoyancy & hop around almost weightless! I think that would be super fun!

Comment

• scuba
                  • Jan 2017

Thanks Big Balloons.
                  I guess it would have to be a dream for me since helium is so expensive here in Denmark. But WOW I wish I could do it.

Comment

• Seidenki
                    • Dec 2016

Mythbusters did this in a very early show. Adam (of course) volunteered.

They've done a few things over the years involving the lifting power of helium and usually discover it's never as powerful as the myth expects. Lessee if I can remember them all:
                    * helium weather balloons lifting a man in a lawn chair (this was the first one)
                    * could party balloons lift a child (over 3,500 balloons)
                    * helium-filled life-raft (failed) followed by custom life-raft-type device (also failed)
                    * can a lead balloon fly (yes!)
                    * can balloons act like an air bag in a crash (no)
                    * will a football fly further if it was filled with helium (no)

Comment

Holy hell, I remember those episodes of mythbusters, Seidenki!!!

I recorded a few of those episodes onto VHS years back!
                      The lawn chair episode
                      The helium raft
                      Lifting a child
                      & lead balloon!
                      Wow! I almost forgot about those I should dig those old tapes out!
                      The helium raft was the best! They used too much helium & Carry Byron cut too much weight from one side of the massive custom designed helium raft! Adam Savage was laying on the raft in a drysuit & the balloon raft shot up side ways! He slid off & fell through into the tube shaped balloons & floated up to the ceiling & into a crane; encased in the balloons! The whole raft came apart & they had to slash the balloons to get him down after he got entangled in the net that held the raft together...oh,my, God, I love it!

Comment

• scuba
                        • Jan 2017

Today I saw a show on the Danish Dr3 about a Norwegian physician who was testing buoyancy. The show is called Med livet som innsats (the life at stake).
                        He tested this in a really cool way. He strapped himself to eighty helium balloons and floated over a castle wall. It looked so cool.
                        When they were inflating the balloons some of them popped with a huge boom, but they managed to inflate enough to make him float off and land safely on the other side of the castle wall.

Comment

That sounds soooo cool! I can only dream... I wish i had a lifetime supply of helium... I'd float over stuff every day

Comment

• MikeFlowerPop
                            • Nov 2016

I am quite modest and would be happy to stand on the landing place and clear up and pop away all those giants you used.

Comment

You're hired! Lol!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍