X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • heaviest
    • Jun 2018

Re: Big air mattress, bigger people

Pools open in two weeks!

I don't know if I ever talked about the Intex french fries float that Walmart sells. It's a bit narrow for two people but it could float two thin adults no problem. What I like about this float is that it's thick and fairly stretchy, so outside the pool you sink into it a lot.

It's got two air chambers, which I'm not fond of. One of them is really small and is surrounded by the larger one. The larger one also covers the entire french fry end of the float, the big end. That end is wide enough for two large people to sit. There's a big warning label on the bottom part, which the photos don't show. A bit deceptive, and some people probably don't like it, but I think it's awesome, because when you put a lot of weight on the top of the raft, the warning label stretches out of shape. Makes it look like it's under a lot of stress.

I over inflated the thing by quite a lot. It got really difficult to blow into it, and then it got easier. I'm pretty sure I could blow pop it, but instead I sat on it while it was overinflated. Didn't pop it. My partner sat with me. Didn't pop it. That warning label got really distorted. I wanted to bounce to pop it, but I decided to wait until we could get New Girl on it with us. So it survived the day. It looks awesome overinflated. If they sell it again this year I'm going to get more of them, because I know I'm going to pop it.

In the pool it's great for making boomy noises with skin against vinyl, but it isn't big enough to get someone on it with me. It floats me no problem.

Comment

• heaviest
      • Jun 2018

I've had a lot of those swimline double mattresses fail on the seams around those cup holder pockets, particularly recently. It's a real letdown, because those seams aren't big enough or under enough stress to pop. They just leak. It's not even clear why they fail. I think it's the weight moving about on top of them, as in my butt on the vinyl, that pulls them apart, rather than the air pressure. Both me and the women have broken them with our knees, too.

At $18-$22 a pop, no pun intended, these mattresses are a real downer when they fail in such a wimpy way.

Comment

• heaviest
        • Jun 2018

I still haven't been in a pool this summer.

My favorite double air mattress seems to have gone out of production. Prices are nearing $30. I have stock and I've bought more, but we're going to have to take it easy on these. I'll also find something else to put new girl and new new girl on in the pool. These are by far the easiest floats for them to get onto. A two-chamber version is less exciting from a popper's perspective, but still available.

New girl is up to 583 pounds, I'm at 593, partner is at 440. I've ordered a three-person float with a capacity of 595. We'll see if we can even get on it.

I've also ordered a Swimline butterfly that probably isn't wide enough for two of us to float on but looks puffy enough to be fun to sit on. The wings are just one air chamber, so it should be a fun ride for two people. It doesn't look sturdy enough for three, but either did that french fry float, and it was awesome.

And that's what we did last night. We abused the french fry float until it popped. It was overinflated before we even started, and it held all three of us until the girls ran out of patience, and then we popped the outer chamber bouncing and the inner chamber by my partner sitting on me. Then a 42 inch swim ring was found to not hold both new girl and my partner, and a double swim ring 2-person float was found to hold me and newgirl just fine, but not with both of us sitting on the same side. That would have been the loudest boom of the evening, except that we also did a couple slim air mats. They were found, as always, to not hold both me and new girl, and the pillow of those stretches ridiculously large and pops very loudly.

Comment

• heaviest
          • Jun 2018

Originally posted by heaviest
          New girl is up to 583 pounds, I'm at 593, partner is at 440. I've ordered a three-person float with a capacity of 595. We'll see if we can even get on it.
          This thing is like a huge swim ring with an inflatable platform ring on the inside to sit on. It's got three back rests, but the tube isn't very thick so these don't come up very high on your back. In fact, our six legs are too big to fit through the center of it unless we sit way back on the tube so it is more under us than behind us. But we did all manage to get on it, and just about submerge it. I had to hold onto new girl to keep her from falling backwards off it, and that only worked briefly. We kept falling off it. We weren't the least bit dainty getting back on it. Didn't manage to break it. Overinflated it and got back on it, and still didn't break it. Got a fourth person of 285 pounds on our laps just briefly, before spilling us all again. We had an audience that was partly amused and partly horrified.

I don't know if we had it fully submerged. I'd like to try again, to be sure

Comment

• heaviest
            • Jun 2018

Pool party with some very heavy people and some admirers...

Intex suntanner, the single-wide one. I overinflated it and new girl and I sat on it at the edge of the pool. It held us both. No surprise. We've been on these before.

Someone bigger than me then added even more air, a lot more air, and got on it in the pool. He pretty much sunk it, but he managed to balance on it. It survived this, too.

New girl and I sat on it again, and one of two support veins under the pillow burst. The pillow end bulged. The pillow is a separate chamber, but the main chamber under the pillow is under a lot of pressure, with the thing being way overinflated and nearly 1200 pounds on the other end of it.

We got off it, and between being stretched and now having more volume with one end bulging, the thing isn't very hard any more. So I add air and we get on it again.

It hold us. I'm determined to break the second support vein but new girl is dreading a pop. But we sit on it for quite a while, and eventually get off of it.

Big guy adds air. Lots of air. I don't get to feel how hard it is before he takes it in the pool again. He tries to get some of his upper body weight over the bulging end, but the thing is even more unstable this badly overinflated and he can't stay on it. He tries repeatedly to float on it and he can get on it but it's a struggle to stay on it. He gives up.

I sit on it but new girl doesn't want to join me. I determine that I'm going to have to break that support vein by myself, so I add more air. Now new girl decides to join me again. But it hold us both and that second vein doesn't break. We leave the thing overinflated and go about our day.

The other air mattress we have is a double swimline with just one air chamber. It's my favorite, because the pillow end bulges and gets really hard. It's got seven? support veins in the pillow, so it seems super sturdy, but we've had more than 2000 pounds on these things and we have broken those veins.

New girl and I have both been on one of these in the pool. It requires help from other people to balance, since the thing pretty much submerges with both of us on it and becomes super unstable, and it's a lot of effort, and we've been-there-done-that, so it doesn't occur to us to do it again. But big guy has been on this thing and he wants someone to join him. New girl doesn't particularly like him and I'm disappointed she won't get on it with him. My partner won't. But he gets a woman of about 300 pounds to join him. First he adds air. Lots of air. Lots more air. Then he gets back on it. The center of it goes way under water with just him on it, even while it's overinflated. We help the woman on it with him. That's pretty hot, but we've had more weight than this on it before. He thinks it's awesome, though. The pillow is ridiculously hard, but it doesn't pop and the veins don't break. He wants another person to get on, but the woman gets off of it. Air mattress survives, right?

At the end of the day, the single suntanner has a second broken support vein under the pillow, and it's bulging ridiculously, and the double swimline has a broken vein in the pillow and it's bulging. I have no idea how he broke them, but clearly this guy enjoys stressing pool toys. I don't mind. I just wish I had seen how he did it.
            Last edited by heaviest; 10-08-2019, 21:43.

Comment

• frankfrank
              Empathetic Harmonizer
              • Feb 2018

WOW...such great descriptions of pooltoys stressed beyond even the most fantastic amount of belief! Video (or even pictures of the wildly-distorted toy that cannot pop, even showing only the toy! - "before and after"?) would be marvelous.

So, what-and-from-where are these fun things that are un-poppable?
              People who don't know the difference between BURRO and BURROW, can't tell their ass from a hole in the ground.

There's been a lot of thefts of helium-filled balloons recently. More so than in the past, so they're going up. I think inflation is to blame.

"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking." - The Scarecrow, WIZARD OF OZ, 1939

Comment

• heaviest
                • Jun 2018

People with compressors achieve more impressive results than I can. Overinflation stresses pool toys more than weight does. I've been overinflating by mouth more than I have in the past, but a compressor achieves way more air pressure. But I still prefer weight to air pressure.

I've seen people pop air mattresses with a hand pump, too. I don't know how they're keeping the thing plugged into the valve.

The optimum pressure for the greatest stretch is also something that needs experimentation. Too much pressure or weight all at once and it'll break without stretching much, but too little pressure but lots of time and it will break, or usually just leak, without reaching its maximum stretch.
                Last edited by heaviest; 11-08-2019, 13:49.

Comment

• heaviest
                  • Jun 2018

Here's what I think is an Intex economat with two ordinary size women on it. The pillow is already heat stretched before they get on it. I don't know under what circumstances this happens. I've seen this happen when ordinary size people lay on these things in the hot sun, and I've seen it not happen at all even with large people on it in the sun. I'd guess that someone was on this and the pillow stretched and the mattress felt soft, so they added air. I've seen this happen, though I've only seen it burst twice.

The problem with only having one lilo and both the girls want a go.

When not in the sun, this won't happen, even with 600 pounds, my own weight. If I overinflate it first it will generally just develop a leak and this still won't happen. The pillow gets large but not like this. To get this to happen with just my own weight I have to overinflate it, fold it twice, and sit on the tube end, and not the pillow. And even then it will generally pop before it stretches this much. The very first time I did that I was just expecting it to pop, but instead the pillow grew even larger than in the video. But I've only reproduced that a couple times. It generally pops before it gets to look like that.

I can reliably get the pillow to bulge really large, though, with 1000-1400 pounds and no overinflation. Me and my partner or me and new girl or me and new new girl. It takes 5-10 minutes for it to stretch this much. It almost always pops with that much weight, ant not just develop a leak, and it can grow even larger than in the video. The "transparent mats" rather than the "econo mats" are even more reliable in stretching like this, but I haven't seen any single-chamber "transparent mats" this year.

But in the sun, it just happens with ordinary size people. Or not. I have no idea why.

This is why I like single-chamber air mattresses

The bigger ones made of thicker vinyl don't do this without an air compressor or hand pump. Those are also reinforced with inner veins. I'd love to find that they'll stretch this much with enough weight, but I don't have enough weight available, even with all the fat people I know
                  Last edited by heaviest; 11-08-2019, 14:55.

Comment

• heaviest
                    • Jun 2018

Air compressor vs inflatable chair. Here she breaks the inner vein that keeps the chair's shape. A big air mattress or float has lots of these so that when you lay on one part of it the other parts don't just bulge up. Those bubble furniture sofas had two of these in each seat, a couple in the back, and even a couple in the arms. Those things were super sturdy.

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• heaviest
                      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by heaviest
                      Pool party with some very heavy people and some admirers...Intex suntanner, the single-wide one...Someone bigger than me then added even more air, a lot more air, and got on it in the pool. He pretty much sunk it...The other air mattress we have is a double swimline...big guy has been on this thing and he wants someone to join him....he gets a woman of about 300 pounds to join him....At the end of the day, the single suntanner has a second broken support vein under the pillow, and it's bulging ridiculously, and the double swimline has a broken vein in the pillow and it's bulging...clearly this guy enjoys stressing pool toys.
                      I had a conversation with this guy. I'm told he weighs more than 700 pounds. He says he likes getting on inflatables in the pool but not so much outside the pool. He admits he'd be interested in trying it with one or more of the heavy girls. He says he normally overinflates just a little bit, and when he overinflates a lot he's just being impatient. He likes using them normally but with an extraordinary load on them, and seeing how much they sink. He says getting a second person on with him is also impatience, and never happens except at parties with his friends. He enjoys pops but hardly ever gets them. They normally go flat slowly or quickly without any real noise.

He says he enjoyed seeing me and "big girl" sink a 47 inch tube and he didn't know that we'd both been on an air mattress. He says he'd like to try that with "spry girl" who is even bigger than "big girl". I told him a double mattress sinks with less weight than that, and he still wants to try it.

Neither of us have seen "spry girl" in the pool, but getting her on an air mattress is a goal we share But no events are planned.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎