Old 18-07-2016, 11:03 PM

Blue548 is on a distinguished road
Default Does it make you nervous when someone unties an inflated balloon?
Hi all,

I'm a popper myself but would be interested to hear from non-poppers. Do you ever get nervous in a public place if someone gets a inflated balloon and starts playing with the knot? I can imagine this can be horrible as you may think someone will untie it and inflate it to a larger size, possibly popping it unintentionally or intentionally.

What would be your reaction as you heard the first woosh of air? I'm asking this as although I'm a popper, people should respect other people, as being a previous phobic myself the experience described above can be like torture wondering if the person will manage to untie the balloon.
Old 19-07-2016, 01:24 PM

Nopops4me is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Does it make you nervous when someone unties an inflated balloon?
I know what it's like being a phobic, non-popper, but thanks to you lot I've become more comfortable with balloons around me. In 'blue548's' scenario I would think the torture starts as soon as the person starts to try & undo the knot, is the balloon going to pop while they struggle with the knot & then if they succeed is it going to be blown too big for what the latex can take. Usually this scenario is within a group who are egging the person on because they see it as fun & a challenge. Be kind to non-poppers, I've been there & it's horrible.
Old 19-07-2016, 05:28 PM

lyckr is on a distinguished road
While I enjoy popping balloons when I'm alone (as long as I have some ear protection), as soon as someone touches a balloon anywhere I am, I get nervous.
Old 19-07-2016, 09:34 PM

MalunEri is on a distinguished road
I get aware if I'm anywhere and there even are balloons nearby.
If anyone carries them or interacts with them in any way, I get nervous, and if anyone touches them directly at all, I start to get afraid.

If that someone is children or anyone I don't trust, I just freak out and want to leave immediately.

While my phobia comes and goes a little, depending a lot on the place and situation itself, I can safely say I'd be really nervous in the described situation. If it was a helium balloon, maybe less so, as the goal then usually is to inhale to make funny voices, but I would never feel comfortable as long as I knew someone are handling an inflated balloon nearby.

So please, consider us phobics a little
Old 27-07-2016, 03:18 AM

onemoreblow is on a distinguished road
Yes I have that same phobia. Especially since they are probably not going to do a careful job untying the knot and when they inflate it the rest of the way, it will probably pop. But I can't recall the last time I was around when someone else had a balloon lol
Old 05-08-2016, 05:18 AM

marja is on a distinguished road
It is an interesting question. However, I wonder if it ever happens that people untie balloons on a social event (with the idea to further inflate them)?
Old 05-08-2016, 05:18 PM

lyckr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by marja View Post
It is an interesting question. However, I wonder if it ever happens that people untie balloons on a social event (with the idea to further inflate them)?
I can't actually remember ever seeing it happen. It's usually either that someone get their hands on an uninflated balloon or they just pop the already inflated balloons using various methods.
Old 16-04-2017, 06:32 PM

Kiltieman is on a distinguished road
Im generally nervous when anyone handles a blownup balloon because I dont know what they will do with it. At parties some like to pick up balloons and then run their fingers over the balloon to make that horrible screeching npoise which usually ends up with a bang. Also I dont trust anyone blowing balloons up. I freak out when I see the balloon get anywhere near full. People trying to untie a knot would scare me too as its the anticipation of the loud bang that freaks me out. Having said that I blow balloons up to their utmost limit otherwise Im not happy but I seem to have developed a knack for getting them to just before the pop. I then struggle to tie them and love to feel the balloons as tight as possible.
Old 14-05-2017, 06:25 AM

Masseylooner1 is on a distinguished road
I remember this happened to me when I was in McDonald's there was a family with 2 kids and they were both being really rough with the balloons, squeezing them with there fingers and hitting each other, it was a complete nightmare for me and I thought ugvcoukfhg get much worse, until one of them managed to tie it and he blew it up to sn incredible size I honestly didn't know how it hadn't have popped the neck with stretched out so far and he put it back to his lips, at the point I was so overwhelm by fear that I ran out telling my friends that I needed the bathroom, when I came back both balloons were gone and there were balloon pieces everywhere, I'm so grateful I didn't stay haha
Old 14-05-2017, 09:44 AM

Heliumlooner is on a distinguished road
I usually dont care when some one play with the knot of a balloon I hate it when people play with the parts of a Balloon that are under stress. As for inflation I dont exactley feel nervouse when someone is blowing up a balloon, my feeling are kind of weird and diffrent I feel relife when some one finishes blowing a balloon to a nice size and ties the knot gets there fingers out and the baloon goes thump.