X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fastlooner
    • Oct 2017

How to pop-proof a room

Hey Everyone,

This weekend I have the house all to myself so I've decided to fill up the spare room entirely with balloons. I even bought forty 24 inch balloons to supplement my balloon collection to make sure the whole room gets filled up. This is my first time filling an entire room and since I'm a non-popper I was wondering if any of you guys have ideas or suggestions for how to protect my balloons from accidental pops.
    I'm not phobic of popping, but I just enjoy having my balloons intact because that means I get to play with them more.
    I already plan on covering the two desks in the room and the floor in blankets and I i'll do the heavy riding on an inflatable mattress I have, but I'm worried about things like the corners of the windowsill, the edges of the closet frame, the light fixture on the ceiling, and the air vent in the roof.
    If any of you have experiences with full balloon rooms I'd also love to hear how much preparation you did to pop-proof your room (if you did any at all) and how many accidental pops I should expect.
  • loonerdude44
    Inflatable Enthusiast
    • Oct 2017

Re: How to pop-proof a room

Bubblewrap. Lots of bubblewrap.

Comment

• Bubble Boy :-P

Pop-proofing to transform a room into a balloon-friendly environment is a fine art that I've had a lot of practice perfecting over the years. I find it to actually be a lot of fun & it builds excitement as well as anticipation! Things you will need: plenty of bath towels, paper towels, quilts, blankets, pillows & if it can be spared; couch cushions.

The first thing you're gonna wanna do to prep the room is go over it with a vacuum very thoroughly to remove all foreign particulate that may otherwise pop your balloons. That includes floor, bed, & furniture. Next remove anything unnecessary such as small items that are sharp or can fall over. Once done start draping towels & blankets over all the sharp stuff such as desks, dressers, night tables, ect....anything with pointy corners. If you have a window in the room, use some strong tacks, drape a large blanket over the entire window & tack it from the top with about 8 tacks which will protect the balloons from the window blinds & frame. Repeat the same procedure for the door frames. Then get a ladder or something to stand on & tape layered, folded paper towels over air vents & light fixtures mounted on the ceiling. Next take all the pillows & cushions you can find & prop them against the bases of all the furniture along the floor; i.e.- table legs, drawers, entertainment centers, bookshelves, all the places where the towels & blankets draped over the stuff doesn't extend to the ground. By now you should now have a nice padded room with the added benefit of sound deadening. All the stuff really helps muffle squeaks & pops which is why i can usually get away with playing with my balloons without people in the house knowing. The last step would be to cover the entire floor area with a quilt & or blankets....never trust your carpet in a balloon room...lots of sharp stuff stuck in the carpet resides deep out of sight regardless of vacuuming.

Now you are ready to start inflating & stuff your room with balloons!
      I hope this helps! Have fun & happy looning !

Cheese!

Comment

Originally posted by loonerdude44
        Bubblewrap. Lots of bubblewrap.
        Bubble head!

Comment

• craggy2012
          • Jan 2012

Those hard foam interlocking play room tiles on the floor, and a two person 36 pocket mattress to ride loons on is what I do.

Comment

• fastlooner
            • Oct 2017

Thanks for the advice everyone!

The balloon room was a huge success. This was one of my best looner experiences ever! I went the whole weekend without a single accidental pop! I ended up taking bubble boy's advice and used folded paper-towel to cover any exposed sharp edges. The floor was covered in two thick blankets and the blankets over the desks worked perfectly.
            Next time I'm able to make another balloon room I'll have to figure out how to pop-proof the ceiling fan. I realized that when the lights are on the glass fixtures the bulbs are in get extremely hot. I didn't want any balloons getting popped due to the heat so I decided to just leave the lights off and loon around only with the light coming through the closed blinds.
            It was amazing to be fully surrounded by latex, I could just reach out in any direction and a big balloon would be there for me to grab. It was wonderful.

Comment

Sweet!!! Glad it worked out for you, fastlooner! Balloon rooms are hella awesome! Now i wanna make one!

Comment

• LoudPopper
                • Jan 2016

Please excuse my presence in y'alls sub-board~ I really enjoy lurking and reading everyone's thoughts and insights. I don't often comment in here because I really don't want to make a huge splash or upset anyone given reading my name (and thus my status as a popper) or potentially writing anything of the sort that would upset anyone. But wow this was a really interesting and educational thread! I've often wondered of a way to sound-proof or pop-proof a room. Particularly in the past, when I still lived with my parents or when I was living in an apartment with notoriously thin walls/ceilings/floors.

I just wanna say thanks a lot for the knowledge! This stuff is particularly helpful to me as of late because I'm actually having my first child with my wife in 9 weeks, and I was trying to figure out ways to not be disturbing to him or my wife moving forward.

Interestingly, despite my strong and deep predilections for my method of balloon-play, I've been particularly interested these days in "expanding my horizons" on how I explore and express my love of balloons. I think it's in part due to the drastic changes in my household coming up very very soon, but also because I just love balloons so much. I'm trying to learn new ways/methods of balloon play. I've started to become interested learning to love balloons in non-destructive means and particularly having actually non-popping sessions. I've begun to become interested in larger size balloons (>36 in.), learning how to safely ride, hump, and play in general; so I've begun ordering and experimenting with specific brands/shapes.

Please consider me a kind "guest" into everybody's space in the future. I feel that I have much to learn, and I'm thankful in advance for everybody's experiences and insights moving forward.

Kindest

~~LP

Comment

• fastlooner
                  • Oct 2017

What a kind a thoughtful message LP!
                  I'm glad a popper like yourself was able to find my question helpful!

Comment

• LoudPopper
                    • Jan 2016

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢