X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Orzel
    • Nov 2015

Re: Silly curiosity

Originally posted by OverTheTop
    There was an interview with Cattex by Balloons United a while ago, it doesn't go very deep into the details but the person they interviewed said they were aware of the looner community and are glad for it.
    Yeah, people from Cattex are very aware of looners. And then in places like Facebook they encounter them, too.

Comment

• Seidenki
      • Dec 2016

Creative balloon display artists can use all sizes. We had a big professional display put up at work a few months ago. It was a big abstract shape of balloons in the corporate colours. I took a picture but I seem to have misplaced it.

I'd be willing to bet my stash they were all Qualatex balloons, many 12"s and 16", quite a few less than fully inflated to get the desired size, as well as what were probably some BSAs (rounder than the real Qualatex 16s) and a handful of 30"s. There were also quite a lot of 9"s. The effect was really quite good and many of my colleagues had no idea this was possible. :-D

They lasted quite a long time - more than 2 weeks - before the office manager decided to clean up. Amusingly, it was just the 30"s which expired (burst) all by themselves.

I got to gently educate a few people about balloon sizes and quality. To a lot of people, "balloons" are the 10" party balloons in the local supermarket which are very cheap and often too thin and almost invariably made down to a price in (unfortunately) China. As we all know, get away from the "cheapest as possible" product and the quality goes up a long way.

Sei.

Comment

• Bounci
        • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Seidenki
        Creative balloon display artists can use all sizes. We had a big professional display put up at work a few months ago. It was a big abstract shape of balloons in the corporate colours. I took a picture but I seem to have misplaced it.

I'd be willing to bet my stash they were all Qualatex balloons, many 12"s and 16", quite a few less than fully inflated to get the desired size, as well as what were probably some BSAs (rounder than the real Qualatex 16s) and a handful of 30"s. There were also quite a lot of 9"s. The effect was really quite good and many of my colleagues had no idea this was possible. :-D

They lasted quite a long time - more than 2 weeks - before the office manager decided to clean up. Amusingly, it was just the 30"s which expired (burst) all by themselves.

I got to gently educate a few people about balloon sizes and quality. To a lot of people, "balloons" are the 10" party balloons in the local supermarket which are very cheap and often too thin and almost invariably made down to a price in (unfortunately) China. As we all know, get away from the "cheapest as possible" product and the quality goes up a long way.

Sei.
        Ohh, I see - and why do they underinflate them? Is it to keep them longer or is it just to suit whatever size the sculpture calls for? How would a Cattex Longneck be used? Sorry if I'm asking too much all at once, heh.

Edit; Balloons United article about the Cattex Longneck, quite interesting and it seems the looner community had an even stronger demand for it than the general balloon industry! ~ And pretty crystal longnecks!
        Last edited by Bounci; 07-05-2018, 23:44.

Comment

• Seidenki
          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Bounci
          [I]Ohh, I see - and why do they underinflate them? Is it to keep them longer or is it just to suit whatever size the sculpture calls for? How would a Cattex Longneck be used? Sorry if I'm asking too much all at once, heh.
          The display was designed to look like a mass of bubbles, so exclusively round balloons were chosen; a Cattex long-neck would not have worked at all. Some were under-inflated to achieve in-between sizes.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎