Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • craggy2012
    • Jan 2012

Cattex 55 shrinkage after use....

Had a bit of fun earlier today with an Orange Cattex 55 balloon and afterwards I slowly let it deflate down by restricting the escaping air. Once the balloon was deflated but still wrinkled with a bit of shape remaining I re clipped the Zibi clip to its neck and cupped the balloon’s shape in my hands. Suddenly all the wrinkles just disappeared before my eyes as if the rubber was shrinking with the heat from my hands. I’ve never in all my years of Looning ever noticed this happen before but in a few seconds all the wrinkles had simply all gone!

Bizarre hey..... or is it just me?
  • Londonj2014
    • Dec 2017

Re: Cattex 55 shrinkage after use....

I've never used body heat but I always hot air on my balloons afterwards (if they have survived). I use a hairdryer on low heat.

Brings them back to normal, if not even a little bigger next time

Comment

• OverTheTop
      • Dec 2013

Heat does have an effect on latex. Low heat will cause the latex to shrink back to its original form, and high temperatures will also weaken the bonds making the balloon stretchier. You can use an oven or clothes dryer to easily heat stretch balloons, I wouldn't be surprised if the hair dryer is having the same effect.

I'm kind of curious about inflating a balloon with a hair dryer, but not enough to go buy a hair dryer just for that.

Comment

• Steebs
        • Sep 2018

This is normal. As a non-popper i use my body heat to unwrinkle balloons every time im finished with them. I think warming the balloon help the latex relax or something so it can return to its original shape

Comment

• Fred
          Happy looner
          • Jul 2018

So your saying that your hands did what an iron does to clothes just instead your hand doing it to balloons

Comment

• tebe2hu
            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by craggy2012
            Had a bit of fun earlier today with an Orange Cattex 55 balloon and afterwards I slowly let it deflate down by restricting the escaping air. Once the balloon was deflated but still wrinkled with a bit of shape remaining I re clipped the Zibi clip to its neck and cupped the balloon’s shape in my hands. Suddenly all the wrinkles just disappeared before my eyes as if the rubber was shrinking with the heat from my hands. I’ve never in all my years of Looning ever noticed this happen before but in a few seconds all the wrinkles had simply all gone!

No, completely normal. To speed up the process, I use a hair dryer for the bigger balloons.

Comment

• Northstar
              • Jul 2018

Originally posted by tebe2hu
              No, completely normal. To speed up the process, I use a hair dryer for the bigger balloons.
              I just try the hair dryer for the first time since I had alot of them that were super stretch out, pretty impressive to see them scale back to normal even after being in their stretch out state for a while.

Comment

• BigBreathless
                • Jun 2017

I have unevenly stretched 84"s and I want to make them even again so they don´t pop on me. Normally I use them to squeeze myself and they only inflate around the top part; and each time I do it that part gets thinner and thinner. This will hopefully save them for me

Comment

• heleo
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by craggy2012

It is not just you, it is due to the nature of the latex molcules they are are in a bit of a knotted mesh at the limit of their extention. You provide a little heat, and you have provided the extra vibration that lets the springy molecules slide over each other back to their lower energy state.

Comment

• balloonPatcher
                    • Jun 2020

Yes, I use body heat almost every time after deflating my balloons.
                    I find it quite erotic, the feeling of the latex shrinking on your skin.

Comment

• LoonerHoax
                      • May 2020

I mainly use body heat to shrink balloons back down. If I'm in the shower I will use hit water. When I can, I will use a hair dryer. I think there was a post on the old C&B forum about the science behind heat making the molecular bond stronger. That was also the theory behind the Q24 being the biggest and strongest on its third or fourth inflation when heat was used to in essence "reset" the balloon.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎