Old 01-03-2018, 10:20 PM

John225 is on a distinguished road
Default How tight do you make a beach ball?
I made another thread yesterday about disability and didn't know if I should just put this there or not but I figured its a different question that deserves it's own thread. How tight do you inflate them? How much have you noticed it changing how long they last? What's the maximum? I've inflated a 42" to the same size as a 48" and it was pretty tight!
Old 02-03-2018, 01:01 PM
Blown to bits

Vicci is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How tight do you make a beach ball?
I blow all the wrinkles out of them, then go a bit more, so when you flick it you get a "twang" sound rather than a thud. So quite tight. As for how long they last, depends what they're being used for - one in a park with a group of friends young kids lasted about 2 minutes, whereas when I'm on the beach they usually make it through most of the day (maybe due to the warm weather making them a bit more plyable).
Old 02-03-2018, 04:21 PM

Never thought about that, I'll have to see what it sounds like from now on. Normally I looK at something taller than the beach ball across the room and decide I'll inflate it till it looks even with that but it's decidedly not a science and it varies every time
Old 02-03-2018, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Vicci View Post
I blow all the wrinkles out of them, then go a bit more, so when you flick it you get a "twang" sound rather than a thud. So quite tight. As for how long they last, depends what they're being used for - one in a park with a group of friends young kids lasted about 2 minutes, whereas when I'm on the beach they usually make it through most of the day (maybe due to the warm weather making them a bit more plyable).
At what point would it not be able to take weight or just rip without effort? I'm guessing it would vary if it were outside hit or in the house
Old 02-03-2018, 04:57 PM

craggy2012 is on a distinguished road
I usually put a couple inside a dinghy before riding them. The dinghy stops them from rolling about, whilst the tube floor of the boat takes some of the pressure off them if they’re inflated really tight.
Attached Images:

Last edited by craggy2012; 02-03-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by craggy2012 View Post
I usually put a couple inside a dinghy before riding them. The dinghy stops them from rolling about, whilst the tube floor of the boat takes some of the pressure off them if they’re inflated really tight.
So what does that do? Sorry I'm just not familiar with that, I've never tried to venture out as much as I could have
Old 04-03-2018, 10:36 PM

It's weird I thought more people would have an opinion or comment about this
Old 05-03-2018, 01:09 PM

Benjy is on a distinguished road
Personally I like to see beachballs tightly inflated so there are no creases... but there is a fine line between tightly inflated and overinflated depending on the purpose it will be used for... It seems a bit wasteful if they're so overinflated that they'll split instantly, so for actual practical use, having them blown up to a nicely round shape, but with a bit of room to expand, is preferable.

It does annoy me when you see beachballs actually in use at the beach or pool that most people just seem to blow them up until they're a sort of 'rounded hexagon' shape, which seems a bit useless (I guess the point where mouth-inflation becomes a bit difficult and needs more effort). When a ball is that underinflated that it dents whenever it's kicked/hit/caught, it does make you wonder what the point it.

That said, I've always wondered if it is a sneaky way to spot looners in real life, looking for the one person who not only has a beachball at the beach anyway (pretty rare here in the UK in my experience), but then has it blown up so incredibly tightly it looks like even touching it will make it explode
Old 06-03-2018, 06:48 AM

1982popper is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Benjy View Post
That said, I've always wondered if it is a sneaky way to spot looners in real life, looking for the one person who not only has a beachball at the beach anyway (pretty rare here in the UK in my experience), but then has it blown up so incredibly tightly it looks like even touching it will make it explode
That could be me

I blow my inflatables tight at the beach
Old 06-03-2018, 08:14 AM

My significant other would have problems bringing one to the beach for me I think. But if she were so inclined I think I'd make it tight enough that it probably wouldn't make it back home