X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jw66644
    • Aug 2022

Re: Weakspots?

Hi All,

Would you be able to tell me if these are dangerous defects?

The red balloon is a Q16 from a local balloon store. It has a small thin spot that's not that close to the drip point.

The blue balloon is a TT17 from the same store. I bought a variety of colours from them, and the majority of their TT17's all seem to have this same defect. I looks like they might be old and the latex is breaking down. On most of the, it's usually near the neck (as per this balloon), but some have these spotty streaks along the body too. Thoughts?

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Thanks,

Comment

• zman21
      • Jun 2022

The defect on the red balloon seems not really dangerous to me. There is some kind of "ring" with thicker Latex around the spot which should stabilize the weak spot. I would inflate this one to its full size.

The blue one is interesting... I´ve never seen such defects before. No idea if you could trust this balloon, but I´m really curious about it!!! If I had a few of those, I would definitely try it out!
      Do you have the chance of blowing it up from a safe distance? For example with a long hose or a remote controlled pump? I´d love to see how big they get

Have fun and don´t think too much about the defects

Comment

• LoonerHoax
        • May 2020

I get the spots like on the blue one all the time. Mainly in balloons that are stored where they are exposed to air. They can be extremely unpredictable. I have a bin on my headboard that I keep balloons and condoms in. When they sit in there for a month or so, they start getting those spots. If you are not into balloons popping, just throw them away.

Comment

• Casey88
          lukmanrewa
          • Jun 2012

yeah the blue balloon spot is kinda weird, reminds me like leather form somehow lol

Comment

• Nopops4me
            • Jun 2015

I take it you're not referring to the larger circle on the red balloon, that is only the reflection from the light source.
            I assume it's the small thinner spot with slightly thicker ring just underneath it.
            I used to discard balloons with these until I blew a balloon up and found one. I took a risk and kept on blowing, expecting it to burst with every breath, but no, it kept going until the balloon was overinflated. I then noticed that the 'weakspot', as I thought, had evened out and hardly any sign of a problem at all. So enjoy your balloons to the full with this kind of mark. They'll be ok.
            Whereas, the blue balloon with the rippled 'stretch' marks, I consider to be dodgy and only suitable for those who like the unexpected, at any time pop in a B2P situation. They are not for me, it's in the bin they go.

Comment

• loonerlee
              • Dec 2018

The blue balloon looks familiar to what I have seen in a bunch of gl500s I once purchased from dekoballon, I purchased about 10 gl500s that all had this weird weakspots, but not on ever popped and all inflated to the max rated size no problem.

Comment

• yet_another_aussie
                • Dec 2019

Thread dig but what what's going on with this one? it looks diseased. Reached just above rated size OK

Comment

• Casey88
                  lukmanrewa
                  • Jun 2012

yeah the latex has broken down on that one, i wouldnt risk doing anything with it

Comment

• Nopops4me
                    • Jun 2015

It's funny how this topic returned on the morning I blew up a 12" gold balloon to find a weak spot in the latex, one of those pinhead size thin spots. As I've found they are relatively safe, I kept blowing it up. Reassured by the fact it was in the 'drip point' and many times have I've seen on tv performers pushing a needle through the drip point and out the knot without the balloon bursting, so I took the risk and over inflated my balloon successfully tight.

Comment

• LoonerHoax
                      • May 2020

Originally posted by yet_another_aussie
                      Thread dig but what what's going on with this one? it looks diseased. Reached just above rated size OK
                      I run into that issue with crystal 17" Tuftex balloons that have aged. Also ran into that issue with a bunch of Q24's.

Comment

• Meililoon
                        aka lyckr
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Nopops4me
                        It's funny how this topic returned on the morning I blew up a 12" gold balloon to find a weak spot in the latex, one of those pinhead size thin spots. As I've found they are relatively safe, I kept blowing it up. Reassured by the fact it was in the 'drip point' and many times have I've seen on tv performers pushing a needle through the drip point and out the knot without the balloon bursting, so I took the risk and over inflated my balloon successfully tight.
                        Yes these are safe 99% of the time. At least half the 12" balloons I use now have these and I haven't had one pop because of them yet. Had a batch of 12" Uniques some years ago that also often had them. A few of them were so thin that the weakspot became a hole while I was inflating them. Still didn't pop, just started leaking air until I noticed and let the air out.

Originally posted by LoonerHoax
                        I run into that issue with crystal 17" Tuftex balloons that have aged. Also ran into that issue with a bunch of Q24's.
                        I have the same experience with these. Very common in aging Tuftex and I noticed something similar on the neck of one of my remaining "fresh" Q24 when I decided to blow it up a while back.
                        For Tuftex they'll often survive inflation and can even stretch out to a huge size if you dare, but they're usually super soft and fragile.

Comment

• yet_another_aussie
                          • Dec 2019

Funnily enough the specimen in my photo is a supermarket 12". This colour doesn't seem to be terribly reliable in this bag which is annoying. They must have thrown aged balloons of this colour in.

I do have a fair few TT24s suffering from rot too...

Comment

• Whale Rider
                            • Nov 2022

>I do have a fair few TT24s suffering from rot too..

I aint a balloon expert but should that not be avoided by keeping the loons in the dark and dry?

If these are made from chloropren though you are chanceless... chloropren decay is autocatalytic... -.-

Comment

• Meililoon
                              aka lyckr
                              • Sep 2014

Funnily enough the specimen in my photo is a supermarket 12". This colour doesn't seem to be terribly reliable in this bag which is annoying. They must have thrown aged balloons of this colour in.

I do have a fair few TT24s suffering from rot too...
                              It's possible it's just uneven coloring or latex thickness.

Comment

• panther42
                                • Oct 2021

Seriously, have to love a fetish forum that gets in to exotic physics :-)

Originally posted by Blown2Bits
                                Tuftex upto 36" are natural latex (not sure about the bigger sizes, they are obscenely expensive compared to other brands, so possible that it is a different material)

Dark and dry will just slow the decay. As a rule of thumb each 10K less will slow chemical reactions by 50% (or vice versa if you increase temperature).
                                You would need to store them at Absolute zero (-273.15°C) if you want them to last a literal eternity. But even then some quantum effects could destroy them over time, especially if proton decay turns out to be real.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎