X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RasaDaana
    • Feb 2014

So what to do?

Hello!

Here's where I'm at... and my approach. In my academic and primary professional work, I am a political scientist and philosopher, so a lot of my work, in fact, has nothing to do with balloons. However, if balloons have something to do with behavioural philosophy or comparative constitutional law -- then I'm missing something!

My secondary work, I am an artist, a photographer by training and I have used balloons with my models, and friends, all the time to demonstrate the capture of air, or even just to pop or mould however we see fit for the project. I'll be honest, it's not necessarily a sexual arousal, more like a curiosity and something I've been private about since I started experimenting six years ago with balloons in art. In my personal life, they are a reminder of free-spiritedness, but also, understanding the social stigma, makes me wary of the way in which this largely aesthetic and innocent hobby could be seen, especially when my personal and professional life have, often, considerable overlap.

I love the different shapes, colours, patterns, textures, and uniqueness to balloons at the fine details, but am i the only one that can notice the difference between a white and pink balloon of the same size and shape? I really don't know if I am a 'popper' or not, or even if the label applies. I would prefer not to pop my balloons, but I don't mind if they pop either deliberately or otherwise, but that being said I don't know if the title even applies. I usually deflate them after a time of looking at them or occasionally just kneading it with my fingers or hands as a stress ball. Am I strange? I often use a balloon as a piece of 'furniture' like a chair, in my office or 'furniture' insofar as it adds to the aesthetic of the room.

Tell me this, though, I was told I have quite the collection just in my office, and maybe I am lucky to be able to afford this, but what do you think? I have the following -- all uninflated (i'm 90% sure):

9x 18" Suzuki Peacocks
    100x 16" Uniques
    2X GL1200s
    4X 6 Ft. Rifco Giant Dolls
    3X 36" Qualatex Rounds
    15x Striped SA24s
    3x Mexico 29"s
    9x TufTex 17"
    30X Qualatex 24"
    Some assorted Everts Pandas, 16-18" rounds

first of all, what else can I do with these? I don't really know, but do you have any response at all, or even some stories or advice? Please let me know.

Rasa
  • OverTheTop
    • Dec 2013

Re: So what to do?

Originally posted by RasaDaana
    Hello!

Here's where I'm at... and my approach. In my academic and primary professional work, I am a political scientist and philosopher, so a lot of my work, in fact, has nothing to do with balloons. However, if balloons have something to do with behavioural philosophy or comparative constitutional law -- then I'm missing something!

My secondary work, I am an artist, a photographer by training and I have used balloons with my models, and friends, all the time to demonstrate the capture of air, or even just to pop or mould however we see fit for the project. I'll be honest, it's not necessarily a sexual arousal, more like a curiosity and something I've been private about since I started experimenting six years ago with balloons in art. In my personal life, they are a reminder of free-spiritedness, but also, understanding the social stigma, makes me wary of the way in which this largely aesthetic and innocent hobby could be seen, especially when my personal and professional life have, often, considerable overlap.

I love the different shapes, colours, patterns, textures, and uniqueness to balloons at the fine details, but am i the only one that can notice the difference between a white and pink balloon of the same size and shape? I really don't know if I am a 'popper' or not, or even if the label applies. I would prefer not to pop my balloons, but I don't mind if they pop either deliberately or otherwise, but that being said I don't know if the title even applies. I usually deflate them after a time of looking at them or occasionally just kneading it with my fingers or hands as a stress ball. Am I strange? I often use a balloon as a piece of 'furniture' like a chair, in my office or 'furniture' insofar as it adds to the aesthetic of the room.

Tell me this, though, I was told I have quite the collection just in my office, and maybe I am lucky to be able to afford this, but what do you think? I have the following -- all uninflated (i'm 90% sure):

9x 18" Suzuki Peacocks
    100x 16" Uniques
    2X GL1200s
    4X 6 Ft. Rifco Giant Dolls
    3X 36" Qualatex Rounds
    15x Striped SA24s
    3x Mexico 29"s
    9x TufTex 17"
    30X Qualatex 24"
    Some assorted Everts Pandas, 16-18" rounds

first of all, what else can I do with these? I don't really know, but do you have any response at all, or even some stories or advice? Please let me know.

Rasa
    Just have fun - try playing around with them some, big and small, yellow or blue, round or shaped - you'll probably find something there eventually

I personally am a mostly non-popper and love large balloons (I have a couple GL1200's myself ) but everyone has their preference.

Comment

• tkvinyl
      • Feb 2014

People collect all sorts of objects, be they for decorative aesthetics in their place of dwelling, or things of interest for the pleasure of simply possessing. I collect rare and interesting inflatable beach balls, and similar items inflatable. I have a celebrity autographed beach ball from a concert in my collection.

You like to collect balloons which there exists an interesting dynamic. Balloons are fragile, they can self destruct at any given moment when inflated, simply due to age.

Do you find some excitement in trying to possess and take care of something so fragile that could become destroyed, suddenly? Imagine the shock and surprise when your favorite balloon pops, even though you've taken good care of it and only inflate it on a rare occasion to admire.

When my favorite beach ball from my collection blows out a seam, even though I have cared for it, just due to age or maybe slightly too much air pressure, it is very stimulating.

There are different ways one can be stimulated, it doesn't necessarily have to be sexual. I find it stimulating on a number of levels.

Comment

• RasaDaana
        • Feb 2014

Fascinating perspective on this, I especially like the recognition that this need not be a simply sexual phenomenon. I definitely am interested in 'refined hobbies', of which I have a small assortment of balloons and wine. I think, in terms of the way in which I spend time caring for both, They are very similar, I see both as finite. (Apologies, I am very philosophical, it's in my nature) They both appear to me as something that is used, but not necessarily personified. To me, a balloon is still an object, not a sexual toy (although I am beginning to wonder about that given the conversation on this forum), like a bottle of wine is a means to enjoying the taste. Balloons are certainly visual for me.

Question, also, what was the GL1200 made for? How is it often used? How would you use one? Are there balloons made specifically for fetishists? If so, which?

Comment

• OverTheTop
          • Dec 2013

Fascinating perspective on this, I especially like the recognition that this need not be a simply sexual phenomenon. I definitely am interested in 'refined hobbies', of which I have a small assortment of balloons and wine. I think, in terms of the way in which I spend time caring for both, They are very similar, I see both as finite. (Apologies, I am very philosophical, it's in my nature) They both appear to me as something that is used, but not necessarily personified. To me, a balloon is still an object, not a sexual toy (although I am beginning to wonder about that given the conversation on this forum), like a bottle of wine is a means to enjoying the taste. Balloons are certainly visual for me.

Question, also, what was the GL1200 made for? How is it often used? How would you use one? Are there balloons made specifically for fetishists? If so, which?
          I don't think there's any specific use for balloons larger than 32" (except maybe advertising) other than for fetishists - I mean, I don't thinks you'd use a GL1200 and fill it with helium for a birthday party... The GL1200 was discontinued a while ago, but you can still find them, as some companies are producing them with the moulds purchased from rifco (company that used to make them), but they're more expensive now.

I've seen someone use a printed GL500 for a "Merry Christmas!" banner, but still, a GL700 or GL1200 are too large for even that.

Comment

• RasaDaana
            • Feb 2014

So are these GL1200s some kind of hot commodity? Where do you get them from?

personally, I like the look of an SA24, or a Giant Doll, but I really can't see much of a practical use for them.

What are the most common balloons that y'all use? Some kind of 12" round?

Comment

• OverTheTop
              • Dec 2013

So are these GL1200s some kind of hot commodity? Where do you get them from?

personally, I like the look of an SA24, or a Giant Doll, but I really can't see much of a practical use for them.

What are the most common balloons that y'all use? Some kind of 12" round?
              I got my GL1200's from Kaboom Balloons. Only place I could find them since they were discontinued. Where do you get yours?

I don't know what kind I use most. Probably my GL500s, but I just switch between the ones I have when I want something new.

Comment

• RasaDaana
                • Feb 2014

I sought out the manufacturer with no success, makes sense now.

I ended up finding a store in Vancouver, WA that had a few... little specialty store, that had some pretty specific art supplies... things you find when you're doing field work.

But do most people use probably smaller balloons?
                But Kaboom Balloons... are they expensive as far as the market goes? I have bought from them before and they recently changed their shipping costs.

Comment

• OverTheTop
                  • Dec 2013

I sought out the manufacturer with no success, makes sense now.

I ended up finding a store in Vancouver, WA that had a few... little specialty store, that had some pretty specific art supplies... things you find when you're doing field work.

But do most people use probably smaller balloons?
                  But Kaboom Balloons... are they expensive as far as the market goes? I have bought from them before and they recently changed their shipping costs.
                  Most people do use smaller ones. I prefer big balloons though.

Kaboom balloons does seem to be fair with their prices, and shipping is cheaper (at least for me, in the US) than over-seas. For the GL1200, they're the only place I've found that does have them, so it's hard to compare prices. Last time I checked though, they were almost $16 each, so use them carefully.

Comment

• RasaDaana
                    • Feb 2014

Could go for a few more, actually. Do you think topballoon has a better selection?

Comment

• OverTheTop
                      • Dec 2013

Could go for a few more, actually. Do you think topballoon has a better selection?
                      topballoon.de has a very good selection, although some of the more popular ones are usually out of stock. The site is in German by default, but in the upper right corner of the page there's a button to change it to English. The prices, after conversion, are slightly better there than at KBI (Kaboom Balloon Importers) but the shipping may be more expensive if it's overseas.

kaboomballoons.com has a slightly smaller selection, but their site is a bit neater and is in English. The prices are a bit more, but after shipping costs may be cheaper than topballoon.

If you're looking for more GL1200's specifically, I've only ever found them at KBI, and for GL500's or GL700's topballoon is out of stock right now.

Comment

• RasaDaana
                        • Feb 2014

Do either restock quickly?

Comment

• OverTheTop
                          • Dec 2013

Do either restock quickly?
                          It really depends mostly on the brand, type, etc. Just check back every so often and you'll catch them sometime.

Comment

• RasaDaana
                            • Feb 2014

Is there anything bigger than a Gl1200?

Comment

• OverTheTop
                              • Dec 2013

Is there anything bigger than a Gl1200?
                              Not the same shape - there are 60 inch, 72 inch, and larger spherical balloons though.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎