Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nopops4me
    • Jun 2015

What is Hi-Float?

I am aware that Hi-Float is a substance which is inserted into a latex balloon, particularly if being inflated with helium. I understand it seals the pores of the latex skin which slows down the release of helium from inside the balloon & therefore the balloon floats for longer. But 'what is Hi-Float?' Is it a cream, gel, liquid, paste, glue or some other substance? Perhaps it's a trade secret & therefore nobody knows except the manufacturer. Is there something else available that would do a reasonable job of keeping a balloon afloat for about the same time as Hi-Float does or is Hi-Float the only product available? What are your thoughts. It would be good to hear your views.
  • OverTheTop
    • Dec 2013

Re: What is Hi-Float?

It's a liquid. You spray a little bit into the balloon (after inflation I believe) and then slosh it around so it evenly coats the inside of the balloon.

I don't think there's any other product that does the same thing unless you want to make it yourself unfortunately.

Comment

• Meililoon
      aka lyckr
      • Sep 2014

I think this covers at least a few of your questions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1go1F13r7Y

Comment

• Vicci
        Blown to bits
        • Oct 2009

The pump bottle I have of it is a clear gel that you put int he balloon and rub it around to form a 'second skin'. There's no ingredient listing on it though, so no idea what's actually in it - doesn't have much of a smell either.
        Vicci x

Comment

• Seasider
          • Jan 2016

From my experience it can be bit messy

Comment

• Vicci
            Blown to bits
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Seasider
            From my experience it can be bit messy
            Oh yes, it sure is. It gets everywhere. Including all over your walls and ceiling if you get a bit 'enthusiastic' with the helium tank.
            Vicci x

Comment

• Bubble Boy :-P

I want some of that stuff. That stuff sounds cool. With that stuff I can keep a balloon blown up with air inflated for a freakin year! Hope its on eBay. & I hope the stuff isn't smelly...id hate to ruin the balloons natural latex smell...i LOVE the sweet, stinky smell of my 55 inch cattex hearts.... I love the smell of all cattex balloons really...

Comment

• OverTheTop
                • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Bubble Boy :-P
                I want some of that stuff. That stuff sounds cool. With that stuff I can keep a balloon blown up with air inflated for a freakin year! Hope its on eBay. & I hope the stuff isn't smelly...id hate to ruin the balloons natural latex smell...i LOVE the sweet, stinky smell of my 55 inch cattex hearts.... I love the smell of all cattex balloons really...
                I wouldn't recommend it. From what I've seen it's intended for making helium-filled balloons stay full longer since helium escapes more quickly than air. It hardens inside the balloon, and I'd imagine balloons wouldn't reinflate well after being treated with hi-float.

Balloons tend to hold regular air for a while anyways, at least from my experience. Just add a few puffs of air every couple days

If you do try it, try it on something small and cheap - maybe some 16" or 24" ones - before you use it on your 55 inch hearts :P

Comment

• blnppr
                  • Jan 2016

Very true. I've used it a lot. It's great to extend the float life of a balloon, but reinflation really isn't very good. I've got a bottle and played with it on helium and air filled balloons. On air filled, it will eventually dry and the balloon gets a bit of a play ball texture. Once dried, you can pop the balloon most of the time without a mess. Although I've had a few pops with it dried and every once in a while, it will fly all over the place. Never pop a balloon when it's wet!

Comment

• Bubble Boy :-P

Oh,gross! Shards of crust in my balloon...i do believe I will pass on this stuff...thanks for the tips guys ^.^

Comment

• Ash_738
                      • Jun 2013

For some reason I have it in my mind that the last time I bought helium filled balloons (a long time ago) the woman who owned the shop wiped a small amount of vaseline inside them before inflation, however I can't find any information online to confirm that this is actually a thing. Might be worth a try if someone is interested...
                      Shut up and blow!

Comment

• OverTheTop
                        • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Ash_738
                        For some reason I have it in my mind that the last time I bought helium filled balloons (a long time ago) the woman who owned the shop wiped a small amount of vaseline inside them before inflation, however I can't find any information online to confirm that this is actually a thing. Might be worth a try if someone is interested...
                        Vaseline is oil-based, so it would make the balloon pop prematurely. Probably was hi-float she used.

Comment

• Ash_738
                          • Jun 2013

Originally posted by OverTheTop
                          Vaseline is oil-based, so it would make the balloon pop prematurely. Probably was hi-float she used.
                          That settles that then. Most probably it was but I just seem to remember this conversation about it being something more common...

Also I looked on the Hi-Float website and the ingredients are obviously not revealed but it's described as something similar to postage stamp glue which it turns out is typically "Gum Arabic" also called "Acacia Gum". So there you go...
                          Shut up and blow!

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍