X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SusieDK
    • Dec 2017

Re: Balloons you can't order anymore

Hi there,

The ones I would love to become available again, are the Qtex 14”, followed by the Qtex 24”.

The 14”ers were by far the coolest balloons I ever had though.

Sincerely
    Susie

Comment

• Loon119
      • Jun 2018

Tilly 20" used to love these. Especially in pink and when inflated a few times used to be so soft and comfortable

Comment

• LoonerPlanet
        • Nov 2018

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Tilly 8 foot worker. I first started buying balloons online just to get these. You can find videos of balloon models inflating and playing with them. A fun balloon to inflate and stretch out on.

The unique airship also has disappeared recently. Like too many unique balloons, when they were good quality they were great, and when they weren't they popped too early.

Comment

• Asclepio
          • Sep 2018

Dont forget that before the uniques 16”, there were some uniques 18” (an old model from unique factory) They werent the best balloons in terms of quality, but if you got a good one oh man you are talking about 20” plus sizes on the first inflation. Now you can only fin the 16” models.
          A looner looking for fun, against violence or people with hightened moral idealism…. I just care about loons, so don’t ruin the fun.

Comment

• Whoopsapopperlips
            • Jan 2019

So many...
            Tilly 20, 24, 40 inch, always meant to try the bigger ones.
            Tilco 40, 54 inch
            Granger, Everts, CTI punchball (love to see if something similar really does exist).
            Never got any RCR but wish I had, especially the 24 inch.
            These are the ones that come to mind, sure there are more

Comment

• PBK
              • Mar 2019

I miss:
              20" Tillys
              ANYTHING Tilco/Prestige, but especially their 48" & 72" rounds
              Original Blue Bird punchballs
              Q-Tex 24's
              Everts giant balloons
              Swan Balloons
              South American 24" balloons

Comment

• Tracy
                • May 2018

This will sound stupid compared to the specific lists, but I am just amazed that regular airship/long balloons have just apparently disappeared from the US market. You can still get the really tiny ones - like 3" diameter - and of course Qualatex makes the much bigger Q646. But where did all the balloons go that were like 5-7 inches in diameter and maybe a couple feet long?!?!? I didn't hallucinate them over a 20 year period, did I?

Comment

• PBK
                  • Mar 2019

Hi Tracy.
                  I remember a US outfit called "Boss Balloons" made some nice big airships and head and body doll balloons but they went out of business about 10 years or so ago. Kaboom Balloons used to carry some of their balloons.
                  Tilco/Prestige (Canadian company) used to make big airships and the green 4 foot head and body balloons we shot at when I was in Basic Military Qualification in the early 2000's.
                  I believe Maple City rubber (Tuf-Tex) made blimps a long, long time ago.
                  EDIT: I might add that another now-defunct (I think) company called Gayla made their Jelly Bean balloons that are somewhat long and fat. It's been well over 10 years since my last Gayla Jellybean was used up. I used to see them sold in balloon sections of stores and in Party and toy stores.
                  Last edited by PBK; 07-05-2019, 00:08.

Comment

• SusieDK
                    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Tracy
                    This will sound stupid compared to the specific lists, but I am just amazed that regular airship/long balloons have just apparently disappeared from the US market. You can still get the really tiny ones - like 3" diameter - and of course Qualatex makes the much bigger Q646. But where did all the balloons go that were like 5-7 inches in diameter and maybe a couple feet long?!?!? I didn't hallucinate them over a 20 year period, did I?
                    You didn't hallucinate - or I did too. These long balloons that used to be all common quite a while ago no longer seems to exist. Todays long balloons are either modelling balloons or huge balloons that do not really appeal to me so much. The exception is as you mention the 646-balloons from Qualatex, but these balloons are a lot bigger than the ones I remember from earlier. Maybe the reason for the disappearance of these balloons that balloons are not used as much as childrens toys as they used to. Long balloons are not as useful for drawing attention (in decorations) as round ones - unless they are spectacularly big, and this leaves only the very big ones and the ones used for modelling. This is just a theory of course, but the fact is that these 'normal' sized long balloons no longer seems to be available which is rather sad. Even though I like round balloons the most there is something special with the way long balloons grow towards the end as you blow them up, and especially how they keep going after seemingly being blown up all the way. The Q646's are great for this - after being blown up until no uninflated part of the balloons is left they still take more than what it took to bring them that far. Also it takes really hard blowing to make them explode.
                    This said I would still love to have those 'normal' long balloons from earlier back though - they were cool.

Thank you for reading my view on this.

Sincerely
                    Susie

Comment

• LoonerPlanet
                      • Nov 2018

I, too, miss the airship and long balloons.

Unique made 2 balloons that were amazing: their 5-foot-long Happy Birthday banner balloon and their 4 to 5 foot long airship. Both were amazing and fun to inflate. I've attached photos of both. (Both are gone from my collection, which is why it pays to take photos of balloons when you have them.)

Gala did indeed produce the jelly bean balloon, which was very cool. Alas, I have no photos of those.

I think the challenge is that these odd shaped balloons are not very good helium balloons; they have very short float times. Nor are they used by decorators or balloon artists. They are the sort of balloon that parents blew up for their children or used at birthday parties. And that has fallen out of favor, with the exception of Unique's 3-foot squiggle balloon.

It is fortunate that Cattex and Rifco still produce shaped and long balloons.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍