X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Loonatic
    Balloons + Feet
    • Apr 2016

Quiet Balloon Pumps

Does anyone know a good electric balloon pump/inflator that isn't so loud? I have one of those cheap blue single nozzle pumps and it's a bit annoying how noisy it is when I'm trying to inflate balloons.

Also, I realize how silly it may seem to be complaining about the noise of a balloon pump when playing and queaking balloons and especially popping is already loud but it is a bit of a nuisance. I guess I'm just a bit of a purist and want a loud pop/squeaks but a quiet inflation.

Just wondering, thanks!
  • Slugamano
    • Jul 2016

Re: Quiet Balloon Pumps

I use the vacuum pump of an old IBM tape drive :-) It's not too fast but very quiet.

Comment

• Seasider
      • Jan 2016

Mine sounds exactly like our dyson hoover so I just would pretend I was cleaning the house 🏠

Comment

• srob2
        • Dec 2017

Air compressor. It is loud filling the tank, but then you have a full tank to use without noise.

Comment

• Vicci
          Blown to bits
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by srob2
          Air compressor. It is loud filling the tank, but then you have a full tank to use without noise.
          I'd second this - although I have a "silent" running one, which you can quite happily run in the same room and have a conversation at normal voice levels. The only noisy bit is when it reaches pressure and you get that satisfying "TISSSHHH" noise. They're not cheap though.
          They're also good for 'normal' inflatables, but not so good for ones with those massive quick-fill valves.

Do remember your basic science though; compressed air is cold, so if you inflate something tightly with it, as the air comes up to room temperature and expands, the balloon/inflatable will often randomly pop when this happens.
          Vicci x

Comment

• wildheart
            • Apr 2015

You can't get a pump that's fast, powerful and quiet at the same time. You have to think what's most important. You could always use a hose and have the pump in a foam box to reduce the noise, might overheat after a while though.

I've got a really quiet compressor that's used for air brushing. Only problem is that it's slow so useless unless you want to pop a small inflatable or something.

Some people use pumps designed for aquariums as they're designed to be quiet, but without the water cooling it'll over heat fast unless it's made for external use.
            How big will it go? Only one way to find out...
            My website: loonerstories.weebly.com

Comment

• Seidenki
              • Dec 2016

Aquarium air-pumps are not a bad idea. I wouldn't use one designed for water as pumping water and air is quite different.

I have a very small one and it will fill a 12" balloon in a few minutes. But it will take a couple of hours to fill a 30" ballloon. I've been meaning to buy a much larger one.

Sei.

Comment

• Loonatic
                Balloons + Feet
                • Apr 2016

Thank you everyone for the great insight! I'll definitely look into these! I've thought about an air compressor before but I'm in a small apartment so it'll be a bit tough to fit that in. I like the hose Idea for the current pump I have, maybe I could just get a long enough one to have it around the corner in the other room or something? Any oher thoughts? Thanks again for the help!

Comment

• kahuna09
                  • Jul 2013

Wow Vicci i cant believe that i have never thought about this. what an amazing idea be like ticking time booms all around. great information and great site. thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by Vicci
                  I'd second this - although I have a "silent" running one, which you can quite happily run in the same room and have a conversation at normal voice levels. The only noisy bit is when it reaches pressure and you get that satisfying "TISSSHHH" noise. They're not cheap though.
                  They're also good for 'normal' inflatables, but not so good for ones with those massive quick-fill valves.

Do remember your basic science though; compressed air is cold, so if you inflate something tightly with it, as the air comes up to room temperature and expands, the balloon/inflatable will often randomly pop when this happens.

Comment

• BigBreathless
                    • Jun 2017

Try an external bubble bath pump that u can out in your tub. Normally u would put the rubbermat with holes in the tub and make it bubble that way, but you can detach that und put a balloon on that end.

It is incredibly nice combination of quiet (at lower levels) and air flow (which is really high). And if you are lucky, it will also heat up the air before blowing it out so you can have things like 72" giants that feel warm like a body and get very nice and soft!
                    If you want you can add a remote controlled switch for the powersupply and make it remote controlled.
                    Aaaand it does not take blowback at all. It shuts off airtight, so you can keep blowing air into loons and pause if u want

Comment

• Loonatic
                      Balloons + Feet
                      • Apr 2016

Originally posted by BigBreathless
                      Try an external bubble bath pump that u can out in your tub. Normally u would put the rubbermat with holes in the tub and make it bubble that way, but you can detach that und put a balloon on that end.

It is incredibly nice combination of quiet (at lower levels) and air flow (which is really high). And if you are lucky, it will also heat up the air before blowing it out so you can have things like 72" giants that feel warm like a body and get very nice and soft!
                      If you want you can add a remote controlled switch for the powersupply and make it remote controlled.
                      Aaaand it does not take blowback at all. It shuts off airtight, so you can keep blowing air into loons and pause if u want
                      Great! Thank you for this!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍