Old 04-12-2017, 09:40 PM

wildheart is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How many times have you reused a balloon?
Originally Posted by OverTheTop View Post
Why wouldn't it be hygienic? It's not like you're rubbing dirt into them or anything.

Bacteria and fungi. I've never had any problems myself though. Just keep them in a dark airtight container. Silica gel and oxygen absorbers can help as well.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:22 AM

onemoreblow is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by marja View Post
I usually don't re-use my balloons. I prefer to inflate them by mouth and I don't think it is very hygienic to re-inflate them. The only balloons I use several times are bigger ones that I inflated by pump, such as GL500, or 24" or 36" balloons.
I have wondered if you inflate a balloon while you have a cold, forget, and then play with it later if you could catch the same cold. I HIGHLY doubt it, but I would bet a sinus infection could be caused by fungus, which would live ... I don't know, forever maybe.

It hasn't stopped me yet
Old 05-12-2017, 10:11 AM

wildheart is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by onemoreblow View Post
I have wondered if you inflate a balloon while you have a cold, forget, and then play with it later if you could catch the same cold. I HIGHLY doubt it, but I would bet a sinus infection could be caused by fungus, which would live ... I don't know, forever maybe.

It hasn't stopped me yet
No because A. You can't catch the same strain of cold because your body learns to fight it off. (There's loads of strains which is why you can't vaccinate against all of them) and B. You actually get infected from a cold through your tear duct.
Biggest problem would be bacteria from your mouth. It's mostly harmless but there's a lot.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:20 PM
Inflatable Lover

loonerdude44 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by OverTheTop View Post
Why wouldn't it be hygienic? It's not like you're rubbing dirt into them or anything.
They (unknown gender) did say they blow them up by mouth, and that puts saliva into the balloon. Even after a couple of inflations a balloon can fill with it, it's disgusting. Hence why I use a pump.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:53 PM

b0f0s0f is on a distinguished road
I reuse them all the time, you just have to hold them by the drip point and shake them a bit to get the moisture out of them, sometimes pinching just below that point with the other hand and drawing the rest out towards the neck. Not a perfect fix but it gets them dry enough that evaporation easily takes care of the rest. It's also not all spit, a lot of it is just condensation from your breath. It's your own either way so I don't find it gross or whatever.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:16 AM

OverTheTop is on a distinguished road
I mean when I blow up balloons it's not like I'm spitting into them or anything, the air is a bit moist from my lungs but not enough that they "fill up" with anything.

I've reused the same balloons dozens of times without getting sick or any noticeable "gunk" inside them, although my evidence is purely anecdotal. I store the balloons in airtight bags in a shoebox. They're probably cleaner than my toothbrush...