Old 06-11-2017, 11:20 PM

Tecumseh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is the most over inflated balloon you've seen?
Originally Posted by OverTheTop View Post
Heat stretched GL1200 - had baked it in the oven at 290F for 10 minutes, and then inflated and deflated it multiple times and generally stretched it over the course of a couple weeks. Before it finally popped I managed to get it to around 115" long and 40" thick (rated at 80" long by 32" thick)
wait, you put them in the oven? could you eleborate on that? what's the use of that? do they get bigger?
Old 08-11-2017, 04:44 AM

onemoreblow is on a distinguished road
Baked loons are the best.. they get huge. I have a rotisserie.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:18 PM

Tecumseh is on a distinguished road
You got any tips? Tried it a little yesterday with a fresh tuftex 24" but after a few minutes it started smelling really bad, so I quickly took it out and opened a window haha
Old 09-11-2017, 07:25 AM

JR Looner is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: What is the most over inflated balloon you've seen?
When you bake a balloon, you are going to smell the latex. You are heating the molecules so they will release the latex smell. The alternative is to put a balloon in a resealable bag and put it in the dryer on high for 10-15 minutes. Less of a smell (until you open the bag), but it doesn't stretch the balloon as much. Just remember to inflate the balloon shortly after taking it out of the oven or dryer.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:18 PM

onemoreblow is on a distinguished road
The dryer sounds like a great idea. You can get lingerie bags at the grocery store. Plus it will send most of the smell outside and it will bake evenly. Use the high heat setting for about 15 minutes and then inflate immediately before the dryer begins a cooldown cycle... good luck!
Old 09-11-2017, 09:46 PM

OverTheTop is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tecumseh View Post
wait, you put them in the oven? could you eleborate on that? what's the use of that? do they get bigger?
Yep, you put them in the oven. They get a lot stretchier and softer (and by extension, larger). They can make it smell like latex for a while but it's usually gone in under an hour, and the results are well worth it.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:46 AM

b0f0s0f is on a distinguished road
How long and at what temperature do you bake them?
Old 13-11-2017, 03:19 AM

OverTheTop is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by b0f0s0f View Post
How long and at what temperature do you bake them?
290F for 5-15 minutes. The time depends mostly on the manufacturer. Cattex are naturally very stretchy, so no more than 7 minutes. Qualatex is usually around 10 minutes, Unique 15 minutes, etc. Tuftex is a bit of a mixed bag since they degrade over time more quickly than other brands.

Make sure you only bake new balloons - if they've been inflated before they get way too weak and pop very easily. For previously inflated ones, put them in a ziploc bag in the dryer on high heat for 15-30 minutes for a similar effect.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:35 PM

cgrocarlos is on a distinguished road
Aside from videos and the balloons one of my friends made who I suspect was a looner, the biggest public balloons I've seen came from Hooters (a restaurant in the US with scantily clad waitresses). I dated a girl that worked there and one day when I was paying her a visit, there was a family eating at a table near where I was sitting. They brought their kid who was acting like a total brat (running around, hitting other guest's chairs and such) so to calm him down, one of the waitress made him a balloon that was absolutely massive, inflated till there was no neck room left. I think her intent was for him to pop it which would disappoint him and hopefully get him to shut up. Or maybe she just got a little carried away? Anyways, I left before the kid popped it (which I'm sure happened at some point) but he got awfully close at some times. On another occasion, it was really late and I went there with my softball team after a game. My girlfriend at the time was with us at the table but her coworker friend was serving us so just for fun, she and her friend got some balloons and were inflating them with helium tank and sucking the air to talk funny. A couple of times they put a bunch of air in and the necks got huge but they never popped them. I really wish I was more courageous back then so that I would have asked my gf to bring some balloons home with her for some fun. I honestly think she would have done it too.