Old 02-01-2017, 12:19 AM

JamesPopper is on a distinguished road
Default How long do inflatables generally last?
How long?
Old 02-01-2017, 10:13 AM

craggy2012 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How long do inflatables generally last?
One of my oldest is a dinghy that's nearly 30 years old now and still going strong, still very supple and has no leaks.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:11 PM

Peter P. is on a distinguished road
like craggy said, linflatables can last for a very long time, if you take care of it. Other than latex balloons, vinyl is less likely to "wear out". Maybe UV radiation will cause some demage over time.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:46 PM

I've also got an Bestway gloss black Orca Whale I bought back in 1992 that we still use regularly. Other than the printed detail looking a bit tired now- this too is still good and airtight despite having to take the combined weight of two adults regularly
Old 02-01-2017, 06:58 PM

I think a lot of today's inflatables use poor formulations of vinyl, the plasticisers added to make vinylmonomer into PVC. The old DNCP, or derivatives used back then made for a very stretchy, soft PVC which could take a fair amount of stress by the vinyl stretching and 'giving' before the seams reached their limit and splitting. These days, the biologically safer plasticisers tend to make a more rigid form of PVC, whilst still flexible it's less stretchy which means the seams often either give out and split with use, or even just folding them across a seam when packing them away causes a lot of stress on the seam at the point it's folded which often leads to splits ect.

At the end of the day though, once a inflatable bursts a seam in our house these days we just dispose of it and replace, not really worth the time and effort repairing them- though I will patch up any holes they invariably pick up!
Old 04-01-2017, 07:36 AM

lilolover82 is on a distinguished road
The older the inflatable manufacturing date the better the vinyl, and less chances of leaks under normal circumstances.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:15 PM

Inola_fox is on a distinguished road
Yeah I have had an intex orca last for about 20 years now, however like craggy says the newer stuff doesn't last as long because of lack of stress it can take. Though seems like some of intex's realistic stuff is better in that regard. Though for me those are just too ugly to own hehe. Also I know jets vinyl is very nice still and very stretchy and can last for years, maybe a life time if taken care of.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:41 AM

ChillinHaze is on a distinguished road
What about Puffypaws inflatables? Are these in a better quality? I'll soon get a Zenith Dragon and am worried that I might pop it while riding on it despite being rather lithe. But hearing all this about the decline in vinyl quality is making me worried. I would be so heartbroken if the draggy would burst on me.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:32 PM

Peter P. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ChillinHaze View Post
What about Puffypaws inflatables? Are these in a better quality? I'll soon get a Zenith Dragon and am worried that I might pop it while riding on it despite being rather lithe. But hearing all this about the decline in vinyl quality is making me worried. I would be so heartbroken if the draggy would burst on me.
I don't have first hand experience, but this particular brand should offer good quality as their products are more pricy.

To make sure it doesn't burst on you, you could reinforce the seems with vinyl cement.

And thanks craggy for your insights- learnt a lot from it.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:27 PM

lilolover82 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ChillinHaze View Post
Another thought is to always release a little air, inflating the inflatable too tightly puts stress on it and can make it spring leaks prematurely.