View Poll Results: Do you miss soft and durable inflatables
Yes I miss them a lot 10 90.91%
No what we have now is okay 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27-10-2016, 11:04 PM

lilolover82 is on a distinguished road
Default Do you miss soft and durable inflatables?
I know I've been talking about this issue, but I am old enough to remember squishy soft vinyl inflatables, with lovely pinch valves. The amount of leaks in inflatables were considerably less, and tended to be less catastrophic and most patchable. Most tiny slow leaks. Now days it's hard vinyl and a lot of seam splits, or leaks the start on the inside of the inflatable and deflates it reasonably quick. How many of you miss the soft, and durable inflatables. What are your stories about playing with them, and your experiences with the latest inflatables?
Old 28-10-2016, 05:55 AM

craggy2012 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do you miss soft and durable inflatables?
I do miss the old softer vinyl, but most of my collection is made up of old pre NP regulations vinyl anyway. I purchased plentifully during the nineties and still have items new in their packets and boxes..... but, if you know where to look new old inflates are still around. I buy a lot of inflatable gear from wholesalers (the folks that supply shops in the beach resorts) they always have small quantities of old stock, long forgotten about inflatables- and they're often reasonably priced.

Last year I picked up ten late nineties- early millennium era coloured lower and clear top upper 47 inch swim rings by Sunco for just 1.99 a piece via a vendor dumping some old stock on EBay.
Old 28-10-2016, 09:14 AM
Blown to bits

Vicci is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by craggy2012 View Post
Last year I picked up ten late nineties- early millennium era coloured lower and clear top upper 47 inch swim rings by Sunco for just 1.99 a piece via a vendor dumping some old stock on EBay.
I had one of them! Picked it up in Spain, it was really nice. Don't have it anymore though as the entire inner seam blew
Old 28-10-2016, 01:12 PM

It's funny how swim rings n tubes blow, when they blow. You'd think the pressure inside would tear the outer seam apart first, but it's that negative curved inner seam always is the one that splits!
Old 28-10-2016, 01:47 PM

To be honest modern PVC's just don't appeal to me. I'm only really into gloss inflatables so I very rarely buy matte or embossed vinyl items. But yes I don't like the feel of modern gloss much now either. It's not so supple but I wouldn't say it's harder to get a decent weld. I've welded this type of PVC with an electric hand sealer and the welds I've created have never blew apart even when inflated tightly. I think it's probably to do with poor production methods. There's actually quite an art to RF welding- There's a lot of variables to get absolutely spot on to make a good, sturdy weld.
Old 28-10-2016, 07:51 PM

Getting a leak sucks, but when you get that leak where you can hear her completely deflating,with your ear to the inflatable. Those are difficult to patch, and they deflate quickly or in some cases at a moderate rate but steady deflation.
Old 29-10-2016, 08:56 PM

Jkloon is on a distinguished road
I never got to experience the old inflatables in a 'memorable' way because of my age. I was too young to appreciate them pre-ban, and actually only got my first inflatable toy in 2009. (intex puppy ride on. Still have it, despite a 2-3 foot long seam split and countless holes that cost a fair bit to repair)
Old 01-11-2016, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jkloon View Post
I never got to experience the old inflatables in a 'memorable' way because of my age. I was too young to appreciate them pre-ban, and actually only got my first inflatable toy in 2009. (intex puppy ride on. Still have it, despite a 2-3 foot long seam split and countless holes that cost a fair bit to repair)
Does it hold air now?
Old 02-11-2016, 02:25 AM

Jkloon is on a distinguished road
It does! I had to run internal reinforcement along the entire seam under the chin and then go over it again from the out side. After that I went over every inch of the other seams with a spray bottle. I got it to the point where it had been tightly inflated for a week when my (now ex) girlfriend and her friend came over and gave it a good run for its money. It survived and still holds air
Old 02-11-2016, 03:28 AM

Will at least you can have some fun with it.