Old 12-02-2016, 11:00 AM

Nopops4me is on a distinguished road
Default What is Hi-Float?
I am aware that Hi-Float is a substance which is inserted into a latex balloon, particularly if being inflated with helium. I understand it seals the pores of the latex skin which slows down the release of helium from inside the balloon & therefore the balloon floats for longer. But 'what is Hi-Float?' Is it a cream, gel, liquid, paste, glue or some other substance? Perhaps it's a trade secret & therefore nobody knows except the manufacturer. Is there something else available that would do a reasonable job of keeping a balloon afloat for about the same time as Hi-Float does or is Hi-Float the only product available? What are your thoughts. It would be good to hear your views.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:31 PM

OverTheTop is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is Hi-Float?
It's a liquid. You spray a little bit into the balloon (after inflation I believe) and then slosh it around so it evenly coats the inside of the balloon.

I don't think there's any other product that does the same thing unless you want to make it yourself unfortunately.
Old 13-02-2016, 12:23 AM

lyckr is on a distinguished road
I think this covers at least a few of your questions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1go1F13r7Y
Old 13-02-2016, 12:40 PM
Blown to bits

Vicci is on a distinguished road
The pump bottle I have of it is a clear gel that you put int he balloon and rub it around to form a 'second skin'. There's no ingredient listing on it though, so no idea what's actually in it - doesn't have much of a smell either.
Old 14-02-2016, 07:55 AM

Seasider is on a distinguished road
From my experience it can be bit messy
Old 15-02-2016, 01:41 PM
Blown to bits

Vicci is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Seasider View Post
From my experience it can be bit messy
Oh yes, it sure is. It gets everywhere. Including all over your walls and ceiling if you get a bit 'enthusiastic' with the helium tank.
Old 23-02-2016, 05:24 AM

Bubble Boy :-P is on a distinguished road
I want some of that stuff. That stuff sounds cool. With that stuff I can keep a balloon blown up with air inflated for a freakin year! Hope its on eBay. & I hope the stuff isn't smelly...id hate to ruin the balloons natural latex smell...i LOVE the sweet, stinky smell of my 55 inch cattex hearts.... I love the smell of all cattex balloons really...
Old 26-02-2016, 04:16 AM

OverTheTop is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bubble Boy :-P View Post
I want some of that stuff. That stuff sounds cool. With that stuff I can keep a balloon blown up with air inflated for a freakin year! Hope its on eBay. & I hope the stuff isn't smelly...id hate to ruin the balloons natural latex smell...i LOVE the sweet, stinky smell of my 55 inch cattex hearts.... I love the smell of all cattex balloons really...
I wouldn't recommend it. From what I've seen it's intended for making helium-filled balloons stay full longer since helium escapes more quickly than air. It hardens inside the balloon, and I'd imagine balloons wouldn't reinflate well after being treated with hi-float.

Balloons tend to hold regular air for a while anyways, at least from my experience. Just add a few puffs of air every couple days

If you do try it, try it on something small and cheap - maybe some 16" or 24" ones - before you use it on your 55 inch hearts :P
Old 29-02-2016, 12:58 AM

blnppr is on a distinguished road
Very true. I've used it a lot. It's great to extend the float life of a balloon, but reinflation really isn't very good. I've got a bottle and played with it on helium and air filled balloons. On air filled, it will eventually dry and the balloon gets a bit of a play ball texture. Once dried, you can pop the balloon most of the time without a mess. Although I've had a few pops with it dried and every once in a while, it will fly all over the place. Never pop a balloon when it's wet!
Old 29-02-2016, 05:16 AM

Bubble Boy :-P is on a distinguished road
Oh,gross! Shards of crust in my balloon...i do believe I will pass on this stuff...thanks for the tips guys ^.^