Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • heaviest
    • Jun 2018

Big air mattress, bigger people

I brought my swimline double air mattress to the pool yesterday. One of those things with lots of cup holders. It doesn't float as much weight as you might think, so I had it overinflated a bit. It holds me okay, and I was hoping my partner would join me. Together we weigh about 1000 pounds, and I was pretty sure it wouldn't hold us both, but I had to find out.

Also there was someone even larger than my partner. She expressed surprise that the air mattress held me, though she's seen me on pool floats before. I told her I bet it would hold us both. She laughed. Not sure if it was because she and I had popped a smaller air mattress before, sitting on it outside the pool, or if she thought we'd pop this one. I asked her if she wanted it to herself, and she said she would give it a try.

Upper body strength. Get some, sheesh! There was no way she was getting on that thing. Not even with help. Not by standing on the stairs and sitting on the air mattress as I held it. No way she was going to stay on the thing. I got the top half of me on it and tried to pull her aboard. Asked permission to grab ahold of her by more than her arms, tried pulling by her armpits, her bathing suit, her legs. She pulled on me, too. I'm freaking strong, but this was beyond me It felt like she was heavier than me, but I doubt she is. I must find out how much she weighs!

I failed to get her on the air mattress, but I did manage to get most of our combined weight on it at least for short times. It pretty much sunk, but it survived. I wanted to get her to sit on it outside the pool, and join her on it, but the opportunity didn't present itself. Or I chickened out. Maybe tonight.

My partner isn't as heavy as she is, but she's got the upper body strength to get on an air mattress, so I'm still hopeful to get us both on it this weekend. This is the first time we've had a mattress big enough to fit us both, in a pool and not just on the floor, but I don't think it will float us both. I'll be a little disappointed if it does
  • belcatball
    • Apr 2017

Re: Big air mattress, bigger people

It's so hot this weekend in the eastern US a pool is about the only way to be comfortable outside. Some public pools have large steps and a shallow section, but the racing pools don't, so that probably makes a big difference. Sounds like you like air mattresses, have you ever tried to sink one of those big whales? Well built yoga balls might have a sporting chance outside the pool, there's a wide variety of them now. Balance might be a factor, but there's ways to make that easier. I suspect you'll have several more chances at the pool this week.

Comment

• Bubble Boy :-P

That sounded like a really cool experience, heaviest!

Comment

• heaviest
        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by belcatball
        ever tried to sink one of those big whales?
        I haven't owned or seen one since I was a kid.

Well built yoga balls might have a sporting chance outside the pool
        Good yoga balls will hold me no problem, and the thing is, that makes them uninteresting. It gets interesting if I bounce, but yoga balls kinda scare me. When you're my size hitting the floor from any height is kinda dangerous. There's a reason those things make a big deal of being burst proof. Beach balls flatten so much that I'm not far from the floor, but even then I pop them on a mat, and it feels safer humping them than sitting on them. Yoga balls I don't really do.

Comment

• heaviest
          • Jun 2018

So, my partner got on the big air mattress with me but she gave up too easily. I think we got all of our weight on it, though, for a short while. Staying on it is more a challenge of balance and strength than of capacity. All but the pillow pretty much sinks, though.

Someone half her size got on it with me, too. A weight mismatch is a lot of fun. This is someone who's been on inflatables with me before, and we're close enough that I can grab ahold of her, and she's not bashful about laying pretty much on me. We were able to float once we figured out where we needed to be to balance. So, this thing will float 800 pounds, but that requires some level of intimacy

I was hoping to get a lot of weight on the thing outside the pool, but nobody hung out on the lawn so the opportunity didn't come up.

Comment

• belcatball
            • Apr 2017

I think I understand where you're coming from, this is what I think we have in common:

1) We want something inflatable that can hold our weight, but just barely.
            2) We want to find out what it ultimately can hold until it fails.
            3) The failure (could be bouncing or adding more weight) should ideally be gradual not violent. Sink, small split, not POW and crash.
            4) We need a safe landing if it does fail. I have no interest in hitting the floor from 3 feet, that's for sure.

Does that make sense?

The irony is I am also a totally different size that you, I should have chosen the name lightest . So the way we get there is totally different. I think that's a hoot!

Comment

• heaviest
              • Jun 2018

Actually I do like pops, but I want the thing to hold me for a while, first. I like the incongruity of something so insubstantial holding so much weight, and it's only when it fails that it is apparent that there was too much weight on it. But there's also no incongruity if there's so much weight that it fails immediately.

The beauty of air mattresses is that you can pop something big and not fall to the ground very far at all Actually, the big ones hardly ever pop. Sometimes you break an inner support, and that sounds kinda like a pop, but usually they just develop a leak. Sometimes it happens fast and you hear a rush of air, but hardly ever a boom. I'm sure I just haven't used enough weight

Comment

• belcatball
                • Apr 2017

Getting down close to the floor is a really good way to minimize fall distance.
                Another possibility is to raise the "floor" up closer to you, so your feet can be on the floor (or just off),
                but you can still sit. Bouncing can be very controlled this way.
                But how to do that? Over years I went through a lot of bad choices.

- Chair, nope (unstable, limits motion, small surface)
                - Bed, nope (legs don't reach floor, not adjustable)
                - Table, nope (see chair but a lot worse, never even tried)
                - Air mattress (stack 3 of these? or 10 cheap ones? too wide, anyway)

Finally, I tried a sturdy step bench with a sturdy latex pillow on top.
                Big surface area, adjustable height, built for dynamic loads, light and movable.
                If you're on a concrete floor, a yoga mat probably guarantees no slipping.
                The one pictured is rated 500 lb. and it makes no sense to just stand on it so it's probably a dynamic limit.
                That thing on top is a stretch cotton balloon pillow that squishes to about 3 inches... under enough weight

IMG_0967.jpg

Comment

• heaviest
                  • Jun 2018

Originally posted by belcatball
                  Getting down close to the floor is a really good way to minimize fall distance.
                  Another possibility is to raise the "floor" up closer to you
                  I have an enclosed patio. I just built a platform that raises half of it to the same level as the family room. It basically moves the point at which you have to step down from the family room into the patio room. It's a 14 inch difference, and the step between upper and lower can be removed. I've rounded the edge so that it's comfortable to sit on, and this weekend I'm going to cover the platform with carpet padding and carpet.

The purpose was to make more space in the family room, but I now also have a very sturdy platform with a 14-inch tall edge. I've already tested it with an air mattress. It's much easier for fat people to get on and off an air mattress than it is on the floor. It should make sitting on beach balls safer, too.

Comment

• belcatball
                    • Apr 2017

Carpentry skills! I thought you might buy something but you went one better and built something. Dual purpose, too, which actually the step bench is as well. I'd actually had the step bench for years.

Here's a variation. This is actually a gym ball in a large pillow case (about 26") under one end of the bench and 6 stands under the other end about (14"). Note the inflatable rubber ring underneath the yoga ball so it doesn't escape. Finally, a smaller balloon pillow on top. Sit on the pillow and you get the bounce of both (aka. gym ball plus), but if the pillow pops you drop about 4-6 inches onto the bench supported by the gym ball, so the landing is pretty easy.

I've also used the pillow case to enclose a 36" double stuffed Cattex and I can hardly the difference. The balloon pillow lasted something like 6 months and safe to stay it wasn't staying in the closet the whole time.

Stack.jpg

Comment

• heaviest
                      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by heaviest
                      there was someone even larger than my partner. ... I got the top half of me on it and tried to pull her aboard. .... I'm freaking strong, but this was beyond me It felt like she was heavier than me, but I doubt she is. I must find out how much she weighs!
                      We had a conversation about fat people challenges, including what it takes for really large people to weigh themselves, and she volunteered to get on my scale She weighs 566 which is actually on the low end of my estimate. The woman has the biggest legs I've seen in a very long time. I thought she might weigh as much as I do. My partner is at 432, an under-the-radar gain of 12 pounds. I'm at 591, down about 30 but holding.

I thought this new woman in our social circle might be into me and I'm now sure of it. She knows of other really large people, and some ordinary sized people, who get together. We'll likely do a road trip.

But back to big air mattresses...

One of the best experiences on an air mattress has to be to be laying on it when someone larger than you gets on it with you. My partner experiences this often, but it takes two people to outweigh me, and until recently the two people I've had on an air mattress with me don't outweigh me by a lot. But my partner and this new woman outweigh me by four hundred pounds! I laid across a Swimline double mattress, below the pillow, and they sat on the end of it. Holy crap! Lifted my big ass no problem!

This mattress only has one air chamber, so all that weight presses air into the pillow end, which I avoided loading so I could get as much air into it as possible. It's reinforced with several interior veins, and it bulged against those veins. Holy crap did it get hard, but it didn't pop!

We traded places and we each got to experience two heavy people sitting on the mattress with us. The women screamed and seemed to really enjoy it. Me and new girl outweighed my partner almost three to one. She laughed like hell when we sat, and she freaked out over how large and hard the pillow end got!

That mattress looked stretched when we were done, but it survived. Need more weight LOL. We're going to do this again tomorrow. I want to get a fourth person, but that's not likely to happen this weekend. My stretch goal, no pun intended, is to get a fifth. Each of these other people have been on an inflatable with me and my partner, but only one of them in an intimate way, but I think the other one is into me. I want to get us all together. That would be more than 2000 pounds.
                      Last edited by heaviest; 27-07-2018, 15:16.

Comment

• craggy2012
                        • Jan 2012

Reminds of a time I was dating a somewhat curvy girl and as our relationship progressed we'd ticked off a few of her fetishy things.... now this time it was my turn.

I stuffed my overnight bag full with a couple of 48inch beach balls and a hand pump but wasn't too sure what she'd make of it all so thought it best if I left my bag downstairs and let her find what was inside.

Quickly broaching the subject I said something like-minded 'Oh, I've something in my bag downstairs I thought we could try out'. Anyway cutting to to chase off she went and ended up carting my bag back upstairs but she'd not looked inside. Anyway she dumped the bag down on her bed and started unzipping it. Peering into the bag she looked at me pull8ng a quizzical expression before slowly pulling one of the beach balls out of the bag. 'It's a f****** beach ball'she responded.... followed by 'What am I supposed to be doing with this??? Me.... by now my mind was racing as I replied to her 'well I though I'd rag your arse off over it'
                        'But I'll f****** pop it she replied. Anyway, we blew it up and she got herself doggy style over the top of it. The ball lived that time to fight another day but the fun we quickly found was in unexpected bursts. Somtimes they'd give out slowly- others just went down flat n we'd both end up in a heap laughing! What we found though was doggy style was probably the safest position to use one.... when they pop as you just land on your elbows (And put up with an aching back for a few days).

Comment

• heaviest
                          • Jun 2018

Originally posted by craggy2012
                          somewhat curvy girl...48inch beach balls...'But I'll f****** pop it she replied....doggy style...the fun we quickly found was in unexpected bursts...doggy style was probably the safest position to use one.... when they pop as you just land on your elbows
                          Unexpectedly, smaller beach balls hold more weight. There's probably a lower limit to this, but 48-inchers are definitely not sturdy. If you find yourself in this...ummm...position again, try a 36. The smaller balls have more of a "OMG this is going to pop!" feeling, which your partner may enjoy even more, or may be freaked out more, which can also be fun.

When my partner gets on a ball, no matter how many times she does it, she can't believe it holds her, and she can't believe it can flatten so much without popping. And then I get on her. She says that never stops being freaky.

There's no safe way to land when you're my size, and there's no safe way to land on her, so we don't do 48 inchers. She can pop them by herself, sometimes they last and sometimes they don't, but I won't even get on them. Okay, sometimes, but it's foolish

Comment

• heaviest
                            • Jun 2018

She weighs 566...My partner is at 432...I'm at 591...Swimline double mattress...This mattress only has one air chamber, so all that weight presses air into the pillow end...It's reinforced with several interior veins, and it bulged against those veins. Holy crap did it get hard, but it didn't pop!...We're going to do this again tomorrow.
                            What makes this so much fun is that you never know when the inflatable will fail spectacularly

We did this again, but as soon as we all got on it...FOOM! The girls screamed. A foom isn't the same as a boom but it's just as startling. It's what happens when one of those interior veins, which keeps all the air from shifting so that it doesn't go flat under you, breaks. This time it was one of the veins in the pillow. One of those breaking makes part of the pillow bulge even larger, because part of it is no longer being supported on the inside.

We got off of it to inspect the damage. The vinyl was stretched, and with the bulge the volume was larger, so it was soft and needed more air. We added air and got on it again. At my request, we're keeping weight off the pillow so that all of our weight forces air into the pillow, making it bulge as much as possible, and now the pillow is bloated badly on one end. Holy crap it looks like it's going to explode! But it doesn't. It seems to be holding us, so my partner starts bouncing. The other girl screams, and my partner encourages her to join her. But before she does...FOOM! Another vein in the pillow has blown. Now almost half of it is bulging huge.

The girls got up. I wish they hadn't, but I joined them. We add air again. The left side of the pillow is really bloated.

It's new girl's turn to be on the mattress when a shit-ton of weight is added to it. I find this to be an incredible experience, being really large and still being lifted as even more than your weight is added. It's new girl's turn to feel that, so she lays across the mattress next to the pillow. Even before me and my partner sit, new girl is freaking out about the pillow looking like it's going to explode. Me and my partner sit. New girl screams. She feels the pillow and freaks out about how hard it feels. The bulging part is so big the rest of it is twisted. I can't believe the next vein hasn't blown. I lean over to feel it...

BOOM!

The seam between the pillow and the rest of the mattress, on the bottom, burst. Swimline double air mattress is flattened. This time it lasted just a few minutes.

We introduced new girl to beach balls. I got a 24 to hold all my weight, and she can't believe it. Then I bounced just a tiny bit and she had an OMG WTF moment and we laughed. I got off of it before it popped and asked her if she wanted to try, and she did. Even as large as the ball spreads under her weight, she's so big you have to get low to the ground to see a 24 incher under her. My partner leaned on her and the ball popped. She loved it!

We popped a few more, and we popped some cheap air mattresses, loading those without sitting on the pillow, like we did the double mattress. We did that once before with a cheap air mattress at a pool party, so she knew what to expect. If it survives one really large person sitting on it, and then another, the pillow end will keep slowly getting bigger and bigger until it pops. It takes as long as ten minutes, even with almost twelve hundred pounds on it. There's no room for a third person, but we found that if my partner leans on us, the outcome doesn't change. Sometimes these little air mattresses just go flat, but more often than not they explode, loudly.

Then we sat on a round island float without popping it. It's smaller than the double air mattress, but thicker. It gets frickin' hard with sixteen hundred pounds on it. If we were to load that one unevenly I bet it would blow some inner veins, too.

Comment

• heaviest
                              • Jun 2018

I thought this new woman in our social circle might be into me and I'm now sure of it. She knows of other really large people, and some ordinary sized people, who get together. We'll likely do a road trip.

But back to big air mattresses...
                              I finally got together with someone larger than me and it didn't go as awesomely as I hoped. She's at least 2/3 as wide as the air mattress, so it's difficult to fit everyone on it. It's awesome to see someone that big sit on an inflatable, though. The pillow bulges and the whole mattress twists. Pretty much the same as when I or new girl sit on it, but new new girl is even heavier. But by herself she's not heavy enough to really put the hurt on a double air mattress, so of course I sat with her. Together we didn't really fit, but we got most of our weight on it and the pillow bulged even more.

New girl, the one who isn't bigger than me but still much bigger than my partner, joined us, and then my partner joined us. I was hoping we'd get all that weight on it without sitting on the pillow, so I could see the pillow bulge huge, but there just wasn't enough room. New girl had to sit on part of the pillow. The mattress held all four of us!

I got to feel what it was like to be on it when both new girl and new new girl sat together on it. Holy crap it gets hard in a hurry! Even when my partner got on top of me my butt barely bottomed out with the other two girls on the thing.

The air mattress held all four of us for a while, and then it didn't pop, it just deflated. The seam around one of those cup holder pockets burst, but it wasn't a big enough seam to go boom. Sigh.

New new girl was not able to sit on the slim $4 single-chamber air mattresses without deflating them. It's just too much weight to add all at once, or maybe we just got unlucky. They didn't pop, either, they just deflated. And even if they had held her, there wasn't enough room to get on it with her.

Beach balls didn't hold her, either. Ffffffft! Flat. That's a sight to see, though.

A 36-inch swim ring held all her weight, and my partner was about to lean on her, but before she was able to do that the thing popped. Muffled, because it was completely covered, but it popped, and new new girl loved it! It was the only thing she was able to make go boom.

New girl, the one who isn't larger than me, was able to sit on the slim air mattresses, with enough room for me to join her. Once again we got the pillow of those to stretch ridiculously large before exploding. Damn those things are fun to pop!

New new girl sat on one side of a round island inflatable, and the side she wasn't sitting on bulged. OMG that was hot. The island inflatable is much thicker than the double air mattress, you sink into it more, and the unloaded part bulges a lot more. New girl sat on it with her, and unfortunately there wasn't room to put all that weight on one half of the thing, so I didn't get to see it bulge even larger. The whole thing just flattened some more. The vinyl that was still exposed was hard, but those inner support veins didn't break, so I sat on it. I want to figure out how to get that much weight on half of one of these things to see if I can break those inner veins in the other half, but there just isn't room. It was holding the three heaviest of us, though, so my partner needed to join us. There wasn't room for her to sit, so she hugged/leaned on me. The thing was so hard I didn't bottom out. It was freaky bobbing that much weight on the thing as we shifted about, without bottoming out. I bounced, which was hard to get started with my partner leaning on me, and that did make me bottom out pretty easily. I was able to bounce the girls a little bit. They screamed. sssssssSSSSSSS the float went flat, but it didn't pop.

I want to know how much weight it takes to make a thicker vinyl stretch and stretch like the pillow of the slim air mattresses, but we didn't find out this time. I want to get all four of us on a double Swimline air mattress and stay still for a while and see if the pillow stretches over time, but the other three people aren't as patient as I am.

There's a second person in that group who is bigger than I am, but it's tough to get the two of them together as neither him nor new new girl travel easily. We did get new new girl out of the house for a while, though. That's a whole other story.
                              Last edited by heaviest; 29-08-2018, 04:53.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎