Old 20-10-2018, 06:55 PM

b loony is on a distinguished road
Default Baking
Does baking actually make the loon bigger and whats the method ,also whats better baking or tumble drying in a bag ?
Old 20-10-2018, 09:43 PM
Master Over Inflator

onemoreblow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Baking
By heating the latex, it becomes permanently stretchier. So yes a lot bigger but also a lot thinner depending how hot the latex was.
Old 20-10-2018, 10:31 PM

So if i put a 20 in the tumble dryer .in theory should go to 30 ?
Old 21-10-2018, 01:51 AM
Master Over Inflator

onemoreblow is on a distinguished road
Even just filling them with hot water will make most balloons grow a bit. A dryer isn't really hot enough to get the full effect. Most dryers only reach 150 degrees F. Maybe if you leave them in there for hours it would work?

It is effective for most balloons around 255 F and they can still be safely inflated fully without popping, but dramatically bigger. Chinese and Mexican balloons melt or deform easier, so I use less heat. Belbals and Qualatex seem to need the most heat, about 275 F. These can be tough because if they get too hot they just melt or pop easily, but too little and there is hardly any effect.

It also depends if they were inflated previously or not. But the dryer won't get them as big as an oven will.

Yes with the oven, a 20 might get to be 30". Every once in a while, they will even make it to 40" if you get a good one lol
Old 21-10-2018, 06:52 AM

I gave up years ago and gave all my kit too a looner girl i knew so trying to get bigger stuff on a limited budget so biggest can get just now is 20 from asda
Old 23-10-2018, 04:08 AM

OverTheTop is on a distinguished road
I've had a lot of experience heat stretching balloons. Both the oven and clothes dryer are effective depending on the balloons.

For new (never inflated) balloons, the oven works best: Preheat it to 290F, and put the balloons in on a baking sheet for 5-15 minutes once it's hot, depending on how stretchy they already are. For example, Cattex are naturally pretty stretchy, and work great with 5-7 minutes, while Amscan or Qualatex take 10 or more minutes. If you do use previously inflated balloons, cut the time in half since they've already been stretched out.

For used (previously inflated) balloons, the clothes dryer works better. Use high heat, and 15-45 minutes. The time will vary the same way it does for an oven, and it will also vary some depending on your dryer. I usually put the balloons in a ziploc bag to keep them protected from getting caught or wet (if you're also drying clothes at the same time).

In either case, once the balloons come out, try to inflate them while they're still warm - it helps get the most out of the stretching.

Also, keep in mind that while putting balloons in for too little time will only result in a small effect, too much time will make the balloons very weak and frail. I'd advise you to start with shorter times until you get the hang of it. You can also play with the temperatures to help find what works best for you.
Old 23-10-2018, 04:15 AM

LoudPopper is on a distinguished road
So is it the fact that Mexican balloons melt more easily that I ruined my whole baking pan? Did I just put them in for too much time in an oven that was too hot? Is it really okay to just put the balloon directly on the metal baking sheet? That's what I was afraid of doing, and exactly what I feared is exactly what happened. The loons turned into goo and got stuck right on the sheet. I think the last time I tried, I didn't have such detailed instructions however. I'm willing to give it a go again. How much bigger do you think a Bebal 14" would get? Also, I read that a Tuf-Tex 17" can get up to 40". Is that true? How big to you think a Tuf-tex 24" would get?
Old 23-10-2018, 04:11 PM

OverTheTop is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LoudPopper View Post
So is it the fact that Mexican balloons melt more easily that I ruined my whole baking pan? Did I just put them in for too much time in an oven that was too hot? Is it really okay to just put the balloon directly on the metal baking sheet? That's what I was afraid of doing, and exactly what I feared is exactly what happened. The loons turned into goo and got stuck right on the sheet. I think the last time I tried, I didn't have such detailed instructions however. I'm willing to give it a go again. How much bigger do you think a Bebal 14" would get? Also, I read that a Tuf-Tex 17" can get up to 40". Is that true? How big to you think a Tuf-tex 24" would get?
What temperature and duration did you use? It is true that cheaper balloons tend to melt more easily, rather than stretching properly. I usually line my baking sheets with aluminum foil, and although I've never had a balloon outright melt into the pan, it does help keep the balloons clean of any residue that may be left on the pans.

I don't think a Tuf-Tex 17" would be able to reach 40", but it really depends on the balloon. Tuf-Tex in particular are already hit-or-miss, so I wouldn't expect the results to be very consistent. Also, keep in mind that heat stretched balloons will also be thinner and weaker, so if it does reach 40" it will pop extremely easily.

If you have any, I prefer Cattex for heat stretching. The results are consistent and significant, and the latex is high quality. I have a 32" longneck that I put through the clothes dryer which reaches 40" on the bulb while still being strong enough to ride, and a baked GL1200 that blows up at least 40" thick. I also have a GL700 that I baked and then put through the clothes dryer which is longer than my ceiling is tall...

Amscan balloons are also pretty good for baking, and cheaper. I've baked their 12" balloons for 10 minutes at 290F, and the result was 16"+ balloons with a nice neck as well.