Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MalunEri
    • Sep 2015

Re: Buying anxiety

Yeah, that's why I said the less details, the better. If you know those few details well, you won't be tangled in a nest of lies. Just act as if you don't expect any questions, because why would they as questions like that?

Comment

• Meililoon
      aka lyckr
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by OverTheTop
      You guys are overthinking this. It's a party/balloon store. They expect you to buy balloons, they're not going to judge you...
      Exactly. This is why I just say it's for a birthday. If you're buying a lot of balloons, you can either say that there's a couple of birthdays coming up close to each other and/or that it's for some young relative who loves balloons and want to decorate with a lot of them.

Comment

• SitpoppingLoons14
        Extreme Sit-popper
        • Mar 2016

Originally posted by lyckr
        Exactly. This is why I just say it's for a birthday. If you're buying a lot of balloons, you can either say that there's a couple of birthdays coming up close to each other and/or that it's for some young relative who loves balloons and want to decorate with a lot of them.
        Sometimes I tell them that it's for a prank.
        You never know when it's gonna pop!

Comment

• ThatOneLooner
          • Mar 2016

Originally posted by lyckr
          Yeah, that's a good one. Young relative loves balloons. Boom.

Comment

• SitpoppingLoons14
            Extreme Sit-popper
            • Mar 2016

Originally posted by ThatOneLooner
            Yeah, that's a good one. Young relative loves balloons. Boom.
            Did you just make a balloon pun?
            You never know when it's gonna pop!

Comment

• craggy2012
              • Jan 2012

That's the beauty of online retail now though.... You can within reason buy anything now simple, hassle free.... Kind of spoil's it though- you don't get that buzz any more- walking up to the counter as the sales girl makes friendly eye to eye contact with you- just observing the subtle changes in her facial expression as you dump a mountain of inflatable items down for her to scan them!

I used to love payday and popping into my local Toys R Us store and having a splurge (spend) in store during the summer months when the outdoor toys were on the shelves!

Comment

• ThatOneLooner
                • Mar 2016

Originally posted by SitpoppingLoons14
                Did you just make a balloon pun?
                Wasn't even attempting to, but sure. Lol

Comment

• BalloonStory
                  • May 2016

I have never had any problems with this.

When buying balloons I just grab the bag and take it to the guy at the checkout. Sometimes we get into a conversation about balloons that lasts for a few minutes and sometimes, if I'm not sure about the size of the balloons, I would ask if any similar balloons could be inflated to show their full size which they would always do.

I'm more nervous and hesitant to ask for balloons from shops and places that give them away.

Comment

• marja

I used to be nervous. But the more often you try do it, the easier it becomes.
                    I usually say that I need balloons for a photoshoot and that the balloons need to be somewhat bigger than the regular ones. Quite a lot of party stores here in the Netherlands don't sell 16inch balloons, often they sell 9 or 12 inch balloons and 36inch (for 7euro each, way too expensive). The woman/man behind the desk knows that 36inch balloons are too big for normal photos, so they point me on the 12 inch balloons or the 16inch if they sell them.
                    Last weekend the shop I visited had 16inch balloons, but only in brown and light brown color and for 1 euro each. So I told the woman that I would look further and left the store without buying anything.

Comment

• OverTheTop
                      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by marja
                      I used to be nervous. But the more often you try do it, the easier it becomes.
                      I usually say that I need balloons for a photoshoot and that the balloons need to be somewhat bigger than the regular ones. Quite a lot of party stores here in the Netherlands don't sell 16inch balloons, often they sell 9 or 12 inch balloons and 36inch (for 7euro each, way too expensive). The woman/man behind the desk knows that 36inch balloons are too big for normal photos, so they point me on the 12 inch balloons or the 16inch if they sell them.
                      Last weekend the shop I visited had 16inch balloons, but only in brown and light brown color and for 1 euro each. So I told the woman that I would look further and left the store without buying anything.
                      Wow, that is really expensive. I can get a bag of six (low quality) 36-inch balloons for 12 USD.

Comment

• Meililoon
                        aka lyckr
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by OverTheTop
                        Wow, that is really expensive. I can get a bag of six (low quality) 36-inch balloons for 12 USD.
                        The only place I know of in Norway that sells 36" balloons, also sell them for 7€ (packs of 2 for 14€). Sure, they're QTex, but that's still twice the price of foreign online balloon shops. At least here it's a mix of lack of competition and high taxes that makes them so expensive.

Comment

• perchedontheloon
                          • Dec 2014

I know how this feels and I've found myself quite nervous many times but here's the beauty of commerce; they set up shop for a reason.

Also, if you want to remove ANY questions whatsoever...just buy a birthday card with your balloons. That removes any doubt.

I've had a cute cashier ask me about buying balloons before, it went like this:
                          <cashier> Oh balloons! Are you throwing a party or something?
                          <me> Sure am, want to come?
                          <cashier> Well, when is the party?
                          <me> Next Friday at 7. (made up a time on the spot)
                          <cashier> I'm going out of town otherwise I would. Have fun!

That's a win-win situation, she's not going to ask questions about balloons if I invite her to a party. Plus, she was really cute so if she says yes then I get a date. Only hard part after that is throwing an actual party....

Comment

• Banzure
                            Inflater of Dolls
                            • Feb 2013

And here I was reading the title as if you wanted to buy anxiety... :P

But I digress, yeah, I've experienced something like it when I was younger, apparently there was a large company producing and selling balloons (back when I was into balloons) not far from where I lived, build up what I felt like was an adequate amount of courage to go to their shop and buy some. Figures, when I found the place, I could hardly move, just stood outside their shop for a while, until I gave up and went hope. Thankfully they had an online store too, if a pretty basic one for the time, was still odd to sign for a large box when it arrived in the mail, but it was a bit more managable
                            Bigger is good, but burst is better!

Comment

• ThatOneLooner
                              • Mar 2016

I usually go to Party City, and obviously, that's one of the main things they sell.

Comment

• Meililoon
                                aka lyckr
                                • Sep 2014

I really wish we had some party stores with a decent balloon selection here, although even if we did, they'd probably still be ridicously expensive The best places to get balloons here are bookstores or stores that sell all kinds of household stuff, so it looks a bit stranger if someone buys large amounts of balloons.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎