Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John225
    • Jan 2018

How tight do you make a beach ball?

I made another thread yesterday about disability and didn't know if I should just put this there or not but I figured its a different question that deserves it's own thread. How tight do you inflate them? How much have you noticed it changing how long they last? What's the maximum? I've inflated a 42" to the same size as a 48" and it was pretty tight!
  • Vicci
    Blown to bits
    • Oct 2009

Re: How tight do you make a beach ball?

I blow all the wrinkles out of them, then go a bit more, so when you flick it you get a "twang" sound rather than a thud. So quite tight. As for how long they last, depends what they're being used for - one in a park with a group of friends young kids lasted about 2 minutes, whereas when I'm on the beach they usually make it through most of the day (maybe due to the warm weather making them a bit more plyable).
    Vicci x

Comment

• John225
      • Jan 2018

Never thought about that, I'll have to see what it sounds like from now on. Normally I looK at something taller than the beach ball across the room and decide I'll inflate it till it looks even with that but it's decidedly not a science and it varies every time

Comment

• John225
        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Vicci
        I blow all the wrinkles out of them, then go a bit more, so when you flick it you get a "twang" sound rather than a thud. So quite tight. As for how long they last, depends what they're being used for - one in a park with a group of friends young kids lasted about 2 minutes, whereas when I'm on the beach they usually make it through most of the day (maybe due to the warm weather making them a bit more plyable).
        At what point would it not be able to take weight or just rip without effort? I'm guessing it would vary if it were outside hit or in the house

Comment

• craggy2012
          • Jan 2012

I usually put a couple inside a dinghy before riding them. The dinghy stops them from rolling about, whilst the tube floor of the boat takes some of the pressure off them if they’re inflated really tight.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by craggy2012; 02-03-2018, 20:15.

Comment

• John225
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by craggy2012
            I usually put a couple inside a dinghy before riding them. The dinghy stops them from rolling about, whilst the tube floor of the boat takes some of the pressure off them if they’re inflated really tight.
            So what does that do? Sorry I'm just not familiar with that, I've never tried to venture out as much as I could have

Comment

• John225
              • Jan 2018

It's weird I thought more people would have an opinion or comment about this

Comment

• Benjy
                • Mar 2018

Personally I like to see beachballs tightly inflated so there are no creases... but there is a fine line between tightly inflated and overinflated depending on the purpose it will be used for... It seems a bit wasteful if they're so overinflated that they'll split instantly, so for actual practical use, having them blown up to a nicely round shape, but with a bit of room to expand, is preferable.

It does annoy me when you see beachballs actually in use at the beach or pool that most people just seem to blow them up until they're a sort of 'rounded hexagon' shape, which seems a bit useless (I guess the point where mouth-inflation becomes a bit difficult and needs more effort). When a ball is that underinflated that it dents whenever it's kicked/hit/caught, it does make you wonder what the point it.

That said, I've always wondered if it is a sneaky way to spot looners in real life, looking for the one person who not only has a beachball at the beach anyway (pretty rare here in the UK in my experience), but then has it blown up so incredibly tightly it looks like even touching it will make it explode

Comment

• John225
                  • Jan 2018

My significant other would have problems bringing one to the beach for me I think. But if she were so inclined I think I'd make it tight enough that it probably wouldn't make it back home

Comment

• craggy2012
                    • Jan 2012

My partner and I are repeat offenders when on holiday of topping up a soft Lilo or pool relaxer. Our's are the tight, swollen, oversized and bent like a banana ones

Comment

• Vicci
                      Blown to bits
                      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by craggy2012
                      topping up a soft Lilo
                      So you end up with the pillow section as big as a beach ball and impossible to lie on comfortably... guilty here!
                      Vicci x

Comment

• Sirprise
                        • Jan 2018

I prefer to test the limit on mine, so no wrinkles! If one bursts I am not sad, sometimes even happy��.

Comment

• wildheart
                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Vicci
                          So you end up with the pillow section as big as a beach ball and impossible to lie on comfortably... guilty here!
                          Also guilty. If I have to sleep on an inflatable mattress I'd blow it so tight it's uncomfortable to lie on, can't help myself. One of these times it's going to pop in the night.

Also can't help topping up any soft inflatables that I find. Once I found a slightly flat beachball at someone's house when I was left alone for 10 minutes. I kept telling myself to stop but it ended up way overinflated. I was going to let some air out before closing the valve but it looked so nice I didn't. Left it bulging in the corner. Wonder if anyone noticed. It was rock hard so they would of been curious as to how that happened.
                          Last edited by wildheart; 06-03-2018, 19:01.
                          How big will it go? Only one way to find out...
                          My website: loonerstories.weebly.com

Comment

• John225
                            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Sirprise
                            I prefer to test the limit on mine, so no wrinkles! If one bursts I am not sad, sometimes even happy��.
                            How much bigger than normal can you get a beach ball?

Comment

• craggy2012
                              • Jan 2012

I like them wrinkle free, but slightly soft with rippled seams is more pleasing on the eye.

I can remember one year we were in Benners for a week and we had this clear Bestway pool relaxer lounger where the tubes were heat stretched, and further over inflated to nearly six inches diameter and the back rest took on the appearance of a small beach ball. Where we’d threw a towel over part of it looked a little more normal looking- but for the fact it was starting to bend upwards like a banana. By the end of our weeks stay the vinyl was very thin but we never actually popped it. We just passed it on to a family that we’re checking in down in the hotel lobby as we were heading homewards. Usually we pop them on our last night n leave the remains in the apartment ;D

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎