Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lilolover82
    • Mar 2014

Wonder if quality will get better

Last time I saw inflatables that were more resistant to leaks in general has been about two to three years. Has the vinyl just been made weaker? I have noticed the new inflatables are more prone to internal leaks, punctures, and seam failures. Do you think intex and other manufacturers will get their act together, or are we going to continue to see these issues and be forced to either buy from more expensive manufacturers, buy older inflatables, or under inflate them to increase the life of them?
    Washington State, United States
  • lilolover82
    • Mar 2014

Re: Wonder if quality will get better

So what's your opinion, do you believe they'll keep removing the essential chemicals to strengthen the vinyl, and the inflatables will just get weaker, or do you believe they'll get this under control? Also why do you believe they did away with pinch valves mostly, and replaced them with quick release valves? It sucks when you want to ride your inflatable down, and as soon as you open the valve a quarter to half the air immediately goes out.

Comment

• lilolover82
      • Mar 2014

Very frustrated now, last night I was laying on a bed when I heard my current air mattress hissing it had sprung a leak on the seam, the same thing other ones have been doing. I rode her down as she slowly deflated.

Comment

• lilolover82
        • Mar 2014

Had yet another inflatable air mattress pop on the seam at night while resting on it. Woke up to feel and hear it leaking out. Rode her down, and the poked a few more holes and tossed it out. Wonder if the inflatables are always going to have issues with getting leaks in them.

Comment

• craggy2012
          • Jan 2012

They're not what they used to be but then in part that's down to what plasticisers they can use now to make the PVC flexible. Without plasticisers PVC is tough like you find with white domestic water pipes.

The choice of plasticisers available these days leaves PVC slightly more hard to the touch, less clingy or sticky and it's this less flexibility that leads to welded seams failing sooner.

Most of my large sized beach balls have developed seam splits through use, but then they were never made to take the full weight of an adult or two on top of them in the first place, but once a seam goes I'll open the ball up and reinforce the seams internally before reclosing and reinforcing the remaining seam on the outside using salvaged glass clear vinyl from things like Lilo's or clear top swimrings ect.

It's always worth keeping moulded rope eyelets, pinch valves and clear vinyl for making reinforcing strips and hole patches off old popped inflatables before throwing them away.

Comment

• lilolover82
            • Mar 2014

Why are they banning certain plasticisers?

Comment

• OverTheTop
              • Dec 2013

Originally posted by lilolover82
              Why are they banning certain plasticisers?
              Various concerns as to how they affect health.

Comment

• lilolover82
                • Mar 2014

Thanks, do you think I could find more information if I did a Google search on it?

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍