Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Q24heaven
    • Nov 2016

Leads on phthalate based PVC inflatables or ones that feel like they do

There has been discussion on these forums, and even some talk at balloon buddies about the pre phthalate ban PVCs, and how much more softer and smoother they feel. If possible, I would like to propose this thread to be a leads list of items that you have bought recently, that may still contain phthalate, or if not, at least feel like it.

Last week I bought a trial selection of inflatables from my variety store. The quality was mixed during inflation, however still somewhat surprising. Though turning out to be quite big, measuring 183 cm; the inflatable sharks from Driclad were rubbish, as the plastic was hard, stiff, and covered in safety warnings which took away from the visual arousal.

Doing better were these inflatable battle sticks from Driclad. Though they felts still somewhat hard, a good firm inflation had stretched them, thus softening the thickness. When clawing, the plastic started squeeking and stretching more, so these ended up on my bulk list to buy. They measure 119 cm in length, only small drawback is the printed design on them is of a matt finish.

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/VCcAAOSwA3dYJ97S/$_35.JPG

However............. the winner here is the Driclad inflatable swim tubes measuring 91 cm width when inflated. These I do suspect have some form of phthalate in them. Interestingly on the day I opened some boxes and bags for sampling what plastic each inflatable used, the blue and yellow tubes were somewhat thicker and stiffer. However strangely the pink ones felt way softer and gummier.

Whether this was just a consistency issue from the bulk PVC sheeting the tubes were cut from, or a higher degree of plasticiser was used for the entire run of pink tubes, I simply LOVE LOVE LOVE these. I blew one up yesterday, and it just felt like a huge balloon, I was blown off my couch.

So in the end, a few dozen packs of the inflatable battle sticks, and a crate full of these pink tubes landed into my trolley. I got a whole heap of 91 cm's for generally looning and finger clawing, and 76 cm's for some foot digging.

So, now up to everyone else, love to know any leads. Thanks to Craggy2012 who mentioned new-old-stock of 80s challenge sports 48 inch beach balls, but checking all over google, amazon, ebay, gumtree drew no cigar.
  • EthylTheAardvark
    • Nov 2016

Re: Leads on phthalate based PVC inflatables or ones that feel like they do

inflatableworld.de has some very nice inflatables -- no warning labels, very soft, usually pretty big and the smell out of the packaging is amazing. They do tend to be a bit on the pricey side, but much less so than a custom toy would set you back.

In the interest of full disclosure, I've actually pitched and had them run a design of mine and am trying to wrangle an artist for another one.

Comment

• Riftwing
      • Jun 2017

Hey! Bit late to the party here I know...

Q24heaven, do you have any pictures of the pink driclad tubes, or could you offer any advice on where I can get one? I LOVE the sound of these!!

Comment

• Big Thud Joe
        • May 2017

@Riftwing, Yes, that was me, I used to be Q24heaven, but I've lost my password, and no longer could get into my old account.

I bought quite a few from Big W, well the ones I bought anyway were purchased from Miranda. I ended up buying some smaller ones for digging my thongs into, and I can also confirm that the blue and yellows also now used the thinner gummier plastic.

I recently also bought a heap of beach balls from D&L Toys, but as much as the people running it offer a great service, as in the sense of a looner perspective, their products are not consistant.

About three years ago, I bought a sample lot of balls off them to check what type of PVC was used and the softness. The White/Red/Blue ones were pure bliss. The best way I can explain it is in some sense like viscosity. Think of high viscosity as thick liquid and low viscosity being thinner.

The plastic "I swear" was 100% phthlate based, one could see that nice translucency through the red panels. The thin soft feel of the plastic felt akin to a very low viscosity. A moderate push in with the side of ones thumb would make the plastic squeek like a balloon, and they'd be a visible thinning of the plastic where I poked my thumb, this absolutely got me burning white hot.

But that's the thing, the balls colours are all opaque, and the translucency wasn't a result from them using a transparent PVC, it was the kind of plastic used had a very smooth plastersizer, which gave it that look, and that very nice feel.

Now on a winner here, I decided to buy those guys out of their remaining white red and blue balls, which arrived last week. Unfortunately the phthalate / plastersizer formulation was different. These newer balls didn't have that nice translucency, nor the squeeky stretchy soft plastic as the previous ones. The balls are okay, here I come with that word again.. viscosity. With these balls the PVC felt thicker, with a much higher viscosity.

So in a way, I'm back to square one again. I have noted in another thread that I have found some Chinese manufacturers that still use this kind of plastic.

I would really love to check them out, but money wise I'm somewhat tight; getting one sample made from one of these chinese factories costs about $80 to $150. If the sample is wrong, then the sample cost has to be paid again for a new sample. One has to be seriously coined up big time to get something happening here.

Ultimately I would love to get several hundred 40" balls made, and a good number of 78" inflatable flipflops, but something like this would come to about US$25,000.

If I definitely know the base plastic / phthalate / plastersizer mix is right, then I would love to get a good amount made; it seems to be the consistancy of the PVC plastic mixes that's a headache.

Comment

• porkhunt
          • Apr 2017

Anyone bought Sunnylife products before? I wonder if they are any good.

Comment

• Big Thud Joe
            • May 2017

If you're referring to this site, they seem to be very, very expensive.

Comment

• porkhunt
              • Apr 2017

Might be worth it if they are good quality.

Comment

• Riftwing
                • Jun 2017

@Big Thud Joe - ah thanks for the reply! That pink ring looks absolutely wonderful...

I have tried to find them, but it seems like they are rather rare now as I can't find them for sale anywhere!

This is probably kind of a long shot, but do you happen to have more than one of the stretchy squeaky pink Driclad tubes? And if so, would you be willing to sell one? :O

If not, I'd love to see a video showing how squeaky and stretchy they are~ :3

Those 'low viscosity' beach balls sound lovely too. Any pictures or audio of them?

Comment

• Big Thud Joe
                  • May 2017

@riftwing, as far as posting videos and so forth, will get some up to my old looning channel soon. Not sure where you are, but here in Sydney (we're in the middle of winter) it's rather cold at present, meaning my current looning activities are inflating hammers, garbage bags, and goon bags. But as soon as the weather warms up, I'll be glad to shoot some vids.

The cooler weather doesn't give me much kick for blowing up pool stuff, these things normally come out when the shorts and thongs are being worn during spring and summer (September through to April).

As far as selling, can't promise anything, but will definitely raid my garage where I keep my new bulk stash of inflatables to see what I've got.

Keep in mind that these stores sell these things seasonally. Again, not sure on your location, but if you're here in Australia, check the Big Ws, Target's, and Toys R Us's around October through to December, this is the best time to find this stuff everywhere.

Comment

• Riftwing
                    • Jun 2017

@Big Thud Joe ahh that would be awesome if you could have a look. If you have any spare I will gladly pay you for one!

I am in the UK so it's possible that those particular tubes are not sold over here... We are just in the run up to summer here though, so there are more inflatables appearing on store shelves, although most of them are rather stiff and not as soft and stretchy as they could be.

That being said I did recently buy a lilo which is a sort of mint green colour and is made of a lovely glossy elastic squeaky vinyl! It's not quite as nice as what you were describing with the tubes, but it is pretty hot... I have it currently inflated in my hotel room (I am on a business trip at the moment) and I plan on sleeping on it tonight!

Comment

• Big Thud Joe
                      • May 2017

@riftwing, ooh ahh, kind of reluctant to sell these as they are a kind of here today gone tomorrow thing, but yeah, if you shoot me your details (through the private message thing on here), I'll check the post office for shipping and so forth. See what I can do?

Is the lilo in the shape of a thong? (flip flop). if so, can you post a pic, and where you bought it?

PS: I'll might dig up some of my old computer file DVDs today, that contain my Adobe Illustrator templates of the inflatable thong I wanna get made. Might post a REQ to Alibaba, and see what the costs are for getting 200 made. It will give us some idea.

Comment

• Riftwing
                        • Jun 2017

@Big Thud Joe sure I will send you a pm!

Sadly the lilo is not in the shape of a thong, it's just a normal fairly cheap and cheerful lounger type thing.

Here's a couple of pictures anyway...

Pineapples!
                        you can also see my red shiny IW fox toy.
                        Showing how shiny it is

Comment

• Big Thud Joe
                          • May 2017

@Riftwing, I've just sent you a PM,

For the benefit of everyone else, it seems these OzQuatic swim rings are still available from Target. I bought quite a few dozen of these at the end of 2015, and are definitely nice and soft and stretchy. They do have a high phthalate content in the plastic, but are just a tad (very little) bit thicker then the Driclads.

Comment

• Riftwing
                            • Jun 2017

I have just recently received this dolphin toy from Inflatable World...

It doesn't look like anything special... Just an Intex dolphin right?

Wrong!

This is actually a toy made by a company called Sunshine. It is almost identical to the Intex dolphin, both in terms of the structure and the paint print, but it is made of a very thin, very soft almost rubbery feeling vinyl that I am sure is chock full of phthalates! The smell when I opened the package took me straight back to my childhood. Even when inflated tightly the toy still feels rubbery and almost like a balloon, and it will stretch a lot when you press your weight on it, plus it makes some really erotic high-pitched squeaking squirrking squealing noises. It is printed matte vinyl, and while normally I much prefer glossy toys, the lovely squeaky rubbery feel of this dolphin really does make up for the matte finish.

It came in a simple plastic package with a piece of glossy printed paper with some bare bones information on the toy, and nothing else. Like most inflatables, it appears to be made in China and is very likely a cheap knockoff of the Intex lifelike dolphin ride-on toy.

And these are indeed very cheap at less than a tenner each, plus postage!

Here's a picture of the packaging. Amusingly the packaging refers to it as a ride on whale, when it is quite clearly a dolphin! http://i.imgur.com/a12mzxS.jpg

When I took the toy out of the packaging, it was stuck together against itself, so I had to carefully peel the vinyl apart to get it flat before inflation, and even then a few of the panels were still stuck together and had to be teased a bit during inflation to let the air in. It consists of three chambers, a single one for the body, tail and dorsal fin, and one for each of the pectoral fins. This actually makes it quite stable for riding, and the dorsal fin is positioned such that you can easily sit in front or behind it for a good ride. It is soft enough that you could even sit directly on top of the dorsal fin without it being uncomfortable.

I will say that the build quality is not particularly awesome, with kinda flimsy feeling pinch welded seams basically everywhere. The paint quality isn't brilliant either, with a few fairly obvious blemishes where the toy has been folded or the sticky vinyl has been pressed together for a long period of time in storage, but nothing that really ruins the look of the toy. Also absent are the ever present garish warning labels, replaced with a "this toy is not a lifesaving device" notice printed in simple black text near the valve for the main air chamber.

These are available from Inflatable World currently. Oddly when I bought this one, the online order system told me that the toy was no longer in stock, but IW confirmed via email that it was still available. I get the feeling these are old stock that have been sitting around for a while, so if you want one, I can highly recommend picking one up before they are gone for real!
                            Last edited by Riftwing; 22-06-2017, 22:11.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎