X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • loonerdude44
    Inflatable Enthusiast
    • Oct 2017

Inflatables filled with hydrogen?

I'm aware that helium cannot make inflatables float due to the inflatables being made of vinyl and vinyl being more dense than latex (and there's a lot more of it), but has anybody tried filling one with hydrogen (and keeping it away from all sources of heat)? A tiny spark would be enough to make it go boom (if you like that, do it, if you don't then don't do it, I'll be on the latter side of that) so you'll have to be careful. You can make hydrogen through water electrolysis (look it up), I've done it before but on a very small scale. Anybody tried it or wants to?
  • Big Balloons!
    • Jul 2016

Re: Inflatables filled with hydrogen?

Interesting idea - I'd love to have an inflatable that could float. I think it really depends on the inflatable because some big ones might do it with helium, just like a bigger balloon lifts more because of the greater volume. Not tried myself.

I've found some videos on the topic which show some good results:
    • HHO - this one shows that HHO is light enough to lift both latex and heavier foil balloons, not sure about inflatables. Still flammable.
    • Hydrogen alligator - this inflatable doesn't float, but I think this may be because the size and quality of it.
    • Sex doll filled with helium - it seems to float with helium, however it is aided by some small balloons
    • Swan filled with helium - not floating. In another video on that channel he tries to lift himself (unsuccessfully, probably due to underinflating balloons) and ties some to the swan to lift it.

I think it could work, but I'd probably tie some balloons to the inflatable to give extra lift. Maybe it would work best with an inflatable that hasn't got such a thick layer?

Unrelated, but this is what makes me like mylar balloons because they can be like inflatables but can float with helium better (though the limits of only really being party balloons, not many big character shapes

Comment

• Bubble Boy :-P

I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble....but im not so sure it would work... While I've always dreamt of having a floating inflatable though.... The thing is pvc is porous when looked at under a microscope. The reason they hold air so well is the fact that the air molecule is quite big compared to the hydrogen molecule. Think of the inflatable as a big fishing net & the air molecules being the fish in the net. Since the hydrogen molecule is a much smaller fish its gonna go right through the net. So if one was going to blow up a perfectly new inflatable with hydrogen the gas would leak through the actual skin of the inflatable as they are not impervious to lighter than air gases the way Mylar/foil, latex & neoprene balloons are.

That being said, I've never tried it before & I'm going on pure theory & insight. But i love being proven wrong!

Comment

• craggy2012
        • Jan 2012

Helium simply diffuses through latex and vinyl after a few days. As above helium molecules are simply too small compared with air (oxygen, nitrogen and the rest that makes up the air around us).

I think Mythbusters did attempt to float a dinghy using helium though. It was certainly lighter than being inflated with air, but they still couldn’t get it to float.

Comment

• wildheart
          • Apr 2015

I wouldn't feel comfortable with that much hydrogen inside an easily broken pressure vessel. That said, hydrogen doesn't burn on its own, it needs oxygen as well so it can't explode. It would just go up in flame if it was ignited. As everyone has said, I highly doubt it would float.
          How big will it go? Only one way to find out...
          My website: loonerstories.weebly.com

Comment

• bagpopper
            semipopper, balloons&bags
            • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Big Balloons!
            • HHO - this one shows that HHO is light enough to lift both latex and heavier foil balloons, not sure about inflatables. Still flammable.
            WARNING: DO NOT DO THIS WITH INFLATABLES! HHO, unlike pure hydrogen, is extremely explosive, even the tiniest spark will make your toy explode, not just pop and burn, really explode (life-threatening injuries WILL be the consequence). Even the static electricity by rubbing the toy against some textile can be enough to blow up the HHO gas. Please, if you want to use hydrogen, use pure hydrogen and take the necessary precautions.

Comment

• scuba
              • Jan 2017

That actually sounds quite interesting.
              I don't know if I'm wrong, but I have once read that hydrogen doesn't leak as easily through latex as helium because the molecules are linked two and two.
              You have to be really careful still because hydrogen is really flammable, but I if you play on water with clothes on that doesn't create static electricity it might work. The inflatable item just have to be really huge. You need to find one that is able to hold a lot of gas to get it to fly.

Comment

• blowhyoooge
                • May 2016

sounds like a way to earn a darwin award!!!!!

Comment

• JR Looner
                  • May 2015

Indeed this sounds like something I would watch through Binoculars or a Telescope and 'Roflmeow' if something bad happens. That's just me though.

Comment

• AuroraFox
                    • Nov 2015

Might as well just use acetylene and really put on a show...

Comment

• wildheart
                      • Apr 2015

If you did want to use hydrogen, where would you get that much? It would take ages with electrolysis and be expensive. If you did attempt it, make sure it's 100% hydrogen. Don't mix it with air otherwise it can explode. To be honest it would be better to just use air while in water. Then it would feel like it's floating without the danger.
                      How big will it go? Only one way to find out...
                      My website: loonerstories.weebly.com

Comment

• loonerdude44
                        Inflatable Enthusiast
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by AuroraFox
                        Might as well just use acetylene and really put on a show...
                        Yeah I'm not really into murdering inflatables (or balloons for that matter) so that ain't gonna happen with me.

Comment

• loonerdude44
                          Inflatable Enthusiast
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by wildheart
                          If you did want to use hydrogen, where would you get that much? It would take ages with electrolysis and be expensive. If you did attempt it, make sure it's 100% hydrogen. Don't mix it with air otherwise it can explode. To be honest it would be better to just use air while in water. Then it would feel like it's floating without the danger.
                          Well yeah, I know how it works. With even the slightest spark the hydrogen would react with the oxygen and go boom, to put it simply. Also, that much hydrogen could be made with electrolysis, it would just take a few minutes. Grant Thompson "The King Of Random" made a water electrolysis machine that works rather well. You'd just have to be very patient.

Comment

• Big Balloons!
                            • Jul 2016

I still wouldn't really recommend it. If you're trying it, be safe and try it outdoors.

Personally I would just tie helium balloons to an inflatable depending on the size, but we all have preferences.

Comment

• Whale Rider
                              • Nov 2022

umm.. that one was filled with hydrogen or short H2

ignition was most likely an electrostatic spark.

Few things are as easily ignitable as hydrogen. For those into more technical sources look up ATEX and the classification for Hydrogen... My recommendations stay away from H2 as far as possible...

concerning flying PVC inflatables its just a question of volumn vs. weight. best are spherical shapes. smaller inflatables has a bad weight to volume ration if you get bigger its gets "better" for "flying".

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎