Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JamesPopper
    • Nov 2016

Airplanes and balloons?

I just thought about this, Have any of you tried inflating a balloon in an airplane? is i harder? or easier?
  • Brallt
    • Mar 2013

Re: Airplanes and balloons?

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but the first thing you'd probably notice is the stewards telling you to knock it off.

If I had to guess it would feel about the same, but you'd get dizzy quicker due to the lower pressure.

Comment

• wildheart
      • Apr 2015

Yeah it'll feel the same because the pressure inside your lungs is the same as the outside pressure. Planes are pressurised to 10000 feet above sea level. It technically wouldn't be as loud if it pops but you probably won't notice the difference.
      How big will it go? Only one way to find out...
      My website: loonerstories.weebly.com

Comment

• Bubble Boy :-P

Wildheart is exactly right...most transport category aircraft are pressurized to between 8 & 10,000 foot equivalent...aside from the Boeing 787 which has a carbon fiber fuselage allowing for higher pressure do to its longer fatigue life. Though there are some corporate jet aircraft that have sea level cabins at altitude. Now imagine having a partially inflated balloon during a high altitude rapid or explosive decompression event! You'll get to watch your balloon over inflate & burst without having to do anything! Of course it'll be the last thing you see right before you black out in about 3 to 5 seconds

Comment

• Tecumseh
          • Nov 2017

I think I tried this a couple of years ago, had a small balloon with me and held it closed while taking off, hoping it would somewhat inflate itself. Don't think it did. But in theory it should have ^^

Comment

• Meililoon
            aka lyckr
            • Sep 2014

I remember seeing this in effect on a science program as a kid. The host and a scientist went inside a pressure chamber (used to train for diving or something I think). They both inflated a balloon before increasing the pressure inside the chamber. The balloons shrunk as the pressure increased. When they got to their target pressure, they both inflated another pair of balloons before releasing the pressure again. The four balloons kept getting bigger until the last two they inflated popped and the first two went back to their original size.

Comment

• npratt
              • Jul 2016

Yeah, balloons under (non)pressure! I still remember one day in high school science class where the teacher had a vacuum pump and bell jar, inflated a small balloon, put it under the bell jar then started the pump. It was weird watching the balloon pop noiselessly, but demonstrated that no air == no sound.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎