Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigballcollector
    • Mar 2017

Balloons being popped by kids

For the heavy non poppers, what do you think when kids try to pop their balloons? You could say something to an adult, but what do you do when a balloon is going to be "killed" by a toddler?
    Let it be, let it free...but keep it nicely
  • b0f0s0f
    • Nov 2016

Re: Balloons being popped by kids

I would remove myself from the situation immediately since I don't like popping by myself, let alone when I'm not in control of it.

Comment

• Masseylooner1
      • Feb 2017

This happened with my3 year old nephew he was playing with a balloon really roughly, he first started off trying to jump on it which freaked me out and I was so scared, but then he started digging his finger into it which made me leave the room and go upside, after a few minutes I heard that inevitable pop

Comment

• Printlover23
        • Feb 2017

I won't call myself a heavy non popper but whenever I walk into my Local McDonalds I get really tense between the inevitable popping and trying to hide my boner.

Comment

• Hans31
          • Oct 2015

As a Popper i realy don´t like when the non poppers try to tell the poppers what to do with our balloons, that we payed for.
          Comments like:" Don´t pop them, send them to me"
          "Those loons are far to beautiful to be "killed""
          realy annoy me because every one has the right to do with his/her balloons what they want,
          if you don't like popping, just don´t watch the video/Picture.
          I understand that the popping of Balloons makes you uncomfortable but in my option it is not your place to intervene in the "fun" of others. To think that, if my kid was playing with balloons and some Person would come up to me and tell me how to handle my kid would be infuriating.

Comment

• JOhara
            • Jul 2015

Typically I will ignore a kid or anyone holding a helium balloon by the ribbon and not paying much attention to it. But I get on edge a bit if they pull the balloon down and grasp it by the balloon itself or start getting rough with it. Triggers the foght/flight reaction and I typically use an excuse to go to the bathroom and not make it seem what the real reason is.

Just yesterday I was at a family party at a restaurant and one of the kids, probably 2 or 3 years old at the most got hold of a pretty well-filled pink helium balloon. It was a generic 12 incher but filled to a pear shape and looked closer to 14 inch. Her parents brought it down to her level to bop around and she was clawing and making all sorts of squeaky noises and they were warning her to be careful. I went out to use the bathroom expecting to hear a muffled bang but when I got back the balloon had floated up to the ceiling out of reach and the kid was no longer interested in any of the others.

Comment

• bigballcollector
              • Mar 2017

JOhara I can relate to that. I recon a party where a 2 years ol kid was playing with an orange 14" balloon, he played it roughly and seemed he wanted it to pop, finally the balloon gave up, the kid did turned around looking for the balloon and started to cry, I felt really sorry for him, I remembered my days when I wanted to get more fun from a popped balloon.
              Let it be, let it free...but keep it nicely

Comment

• Capsaicin
                • Dec 2017

I'm still not comfortable with people around me playing roughly with balloons to the point they could pop. I hate it especially if people go into a fast food restaurant like KFC with a lot of balloons as if it would be a flashmob. I understand that they aren't mine and I have no saying in what they should do with their own stuff.
                But there are still people out there who have an anxiety when it comes to sudden burst noises. And I'm still struggling with it at times, especially when I'm surrounded by balloons that could pop. it must not be kids playing with them already seeing balloons flying of under the ceiling bouncing next to sharp edges of things like airconditioners over the entrance of fire extinguishers gets me sweating to the point where I'm unable to just swallow it up and continue eating. If I'm far from finished I'd have the food packed up and leave that estate. It's really no fun at all if you actually have issues with that kind of stuff. Last time that this had happened I was together with my friend who's still deeper into this anxiety stuff. So I offered him straight forward to have the food packed returning home to finish our meals in peace.

On the other hand, I don't really see why I should professional help with that. After all it's an anxiety and if it cripples you in your life then you should get to see a doctor. And that's because of two reasons: I'm on a "positive route" working on my anxiety and also these issues when I have serious problems like the described one happen so rarely that I don't think it would be necessary.

But I do have to agree with Hans31 here. It would be wrong to tell someone to stop this. I don't know how how common ligryophobia is but it seems rather unknown to people. So I don't know if you can expect people to mind that part all the time when they're (unintentionally) popping balloons next to someone else. And you can't just stand up explaining to the whole estate the nature of your phobia. In the light of these things, escaping seems like the only correct reaction if you're in this situation.

Comment

• Nopops4me
                  • Jun 2015

Over the weekend wife & I decided to eat out, so we went to a local restaurant, was sat at our table, ordered our meal. Whilst waiting along comes the waitress with a couple and their, probably 3 or 4 year old toddler. The waitress seated them at the next table to us with colouring pencils and drawing pad. In the distance I thought I heard the hiss of helium & sure enough the next thing I see is an inflated helium balloon advancing towards us & being presented to the toddler. As I was phobic until I joined this forum and learnt a lot of how to try and deal with my fears, it still makes me unsure when a kid has a balloon near me. The kid was bopping it around & pulling it down for it to rise up again. Several times the balloons came down O' so close to the sharp points of the pencils sticking up out of a beaker. Once or twice it hit the pencils, I was waiting for the 'Bang' but each time it survived. Our meal arrived & we must have been alongside this balloon for a good half to three quarters of an hour before we finished, paid & left. The balloon still intact but my heart was racing. Not a very good experience when I'm trying to fully conquer my fears

Comment

• b0f0s0f
                    • Nov 2016

Is your wife aware of your phobia? Just curious. I've never really been around anyone who was aware of my phobia so I usually just suppress it as best I can and assume they'll just notice that I'm being antsy for some reason but not enough to ask why. I feel like it could be comforting to be with someone who understands though.

Comment

• BYGavia
                      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by b0f0s0f
                      Is your wife aware of your phobia? Just curious. I've never really been around anyone who was aware of my phobia so I usually just suppress it as best I can and assume they'll just notice that I'm being antsy for some reason but not enough to ask why. I feel like it could be comforting to be with someone who understands though.
                      I’ve been in a similar situation at a restaurant in which two balloons ended up popping, but I was grateful that my partner knew what was going on so she didn’t have to ask. Still, not a fun situation overall. :/

Comment

• Nopops4me
                        • Jun 2015

b0f0s0f, Wife is aware I had a phobia & trying very hard to get over it so when a situation like last week occurs she leaves me to fight it my own way. If she mentions anything about balloons she feels she is torturing me. She's proud that I am fighting the dislike of kids with balloons & not running away.

Comment

• loonerdude44
                          Inflatable Enthusiast
                          • Oct 2017

Being partially phobic, I just leave. People and balloons have never been a good mix for me.

Comment

• Slugamano
                            • Jul 2016

Kids' balloons do not mean anything for me, it's a different world. Maybe it makes me a bit envy because in my childhood I was not allowed to pop my balloons. So I can enjoy the sight and lought on them.

Comment

• Bounci
                              • Apr 2018

Of course, anyone should enjoy their balloons as they like. Just as I enjoy doing things my way with my loons, too. But for me it's pretty scary to have other people in control of any balloons around me, even more so kids! They always end up popping them. I avoid McDonalds' or events with balloons at times for that reason, or if I do want to go in I mentally prepare myself for the inevitable. It's still very uncomfortable but, live and let live. I'm happy for them that they're having fun.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎