Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • senegalass
    • Sep 2018

Ear Protection suggestion needed

Hi, guys. I want to start popping my 24 inch tuftex balloons inside my room and I need good ear protection because they are load and I am scared of loud sounds. Which should I buy? Flanged ones or just simple foam ones? Thank you
  • wildheart
    • Apr 2015

Re: Ear Protection suggestion needed

I’ve got the usual over ear protection that works well. If you combine it with in-ear protection as well it’s just a muffed pop.
    How big will it go? Only one way to find out...
    My website: loonerstories.weebly.com

Comment

• senegalass
      • Sep 2018

I am thinking about these https://www.uvex-safety.com/en/produ...able-earplugs/

Comment

• senegalass
        • Sep 2018

Originally posted by wildheart
        I’ve got the usual over ear protection that works well. If you combine it with in-ear protection as well it’s just a muffed pop.
        Are those over ear ones you use expensive? For now I plan to try just earplugs and if it still gonna be too loud then buy big ones and combine

Comment

• t17forLife
          • May 2015

I'm not an engineer but I do know a thing or two about this topic. Not only am I a looner who enjoys popping balloons, but I am also a firearms enthusiast and use a lot of power tools. Effective noise reduction is a requirement for safety. I have slight hearing loss and moderate tinnitus (ringing sound in ear) from back when I was in elementary school and always used my iPod at full volume everyday. I'm in college now and it's still here, and always will be. Point being, get the best stuff you can buy. Although popping balloons isn't as harmful as shooting guns and using power tools, good hearing protection can make all the difference in reducing anxiety and making the activity more enjoyable.

Currently, I use a two-part solution consisting of both foam earplugs and hardshell earmuffs.

The highest real NRR (noise reduction rating) for earplugs is 33dB, and for earmuffs it is 31dB. Anything beyond that is questionable. Combining the two doesn't equal a reduction of 64dB, it nets a reduction of around 36dB when used properly.

The average balloon pop can be anywhere from 130-165dB, depending on factors such as size, overinflation (BTP), things like that. What is a dB? It's a measurement of sound level. An average conversation is about 65dB, rush-hour traffic is 80-85dB, sirens 120dB, jet engines 135dB, exploding car airbags 160-170dB.

The scale is not linear, it's exponential. Each increase or decrease of 3dB doubles or halves the "loudness" of noise and therefore doubles or halves the associated harmfulness. 8 hours a day of 85dB is the limit for workers in the U.S., because it is the limit for not creating any lasting harm. It's 4 hours for 88dB, 2 for 91dB, 1 hour for 94dB, 30min for 97dB, and none at all for anything above 120dB. Note that you should be using some kind of hearing protection for anything above 120dB, regardless of any other factors.

For the earmuffs, I use some made by a company called ClearArmor. They're only $15 and provide 31 (claimed 34) dB of noise reduction. For earplugs I use Howard-Leight Laser Lite earplugs which have a rating of 32dB.

Both of these combined work very well for shooting guns. I can shoot rifles all day without any problem. For power tools, I just use foam earplugs since the noise level is only around 110dB max.

As far as balloons go, this combo will suit you well. Be sure to properly fit the earplugs by rolling them into a smaller diameter and then twisting them into place so they expand into the ear canal.

Comment

• wildheart
            • Apr 2015

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KBZDB4K? They’re the ones I got. Comfortable as well. Highest level of protection that you can buy.
            How big will it go? Only one way to find out...
            My website: loonerstories.weebly.com

Comment

• Meililoon
              aka lyckr
              • Sep 2014

I just use some cheap foam earplugs most of the time. I usually reuse them a couple of times before disposing of them, although they block out noise more effectively the first few times (depends how much earwax/dirt gets on them).

Comment

• t17forLife
                • May 2015

Originally posted by wildheart
                https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KBZDB4K? They’re the ones I got. Comfortable as well. Highest level of protection that you can buy.
                Same construction as the ones I have, just a few bucks cheaper.

Comment

• Ilooner
                  • Oct 2018

I like to use simple 3M foam earplugs for quick sessions, and for a long session full of popping I also use earmuffs over the foams.

Comment

• b loony
                    • Oct 2018

ear defenders with head phones underneath, so protects from the pop and gives u some nice music too.

Comment

• cinos
                      • Oct 2018

ones i got from amazon do the job mpow ear defenders

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢