A Question for those of you with Intex orcas.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • loonerdude44
    Inflatable Enthusiast
    • Oct 2017

A Question for those of you with Intex orcas.

So I'm unsure if the Intex orca is matte or shiny, I haven't gotten one yet but plan to soon, but I don't like matte inflatables. Is it matte, or is it shiny?
  • Sirprise
    • Jan 2018

Re: A Question for those of you with Intex orcas.

Well then the Intex one isn't for you sadly as it is matt. Maybe a bestway one, those are mostly shiny

Comment

• OverTheTop
      • Dec 2013

Can confirm, Bestway ones are shiny. They're also stretchier and stronger in my experience.

Comment

• loonerdude44
        Inflatable Enthusiast
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Sirprise
        Well then the Intex one isn't for you sadly as it is matt. Maybe a bestway one, those are mostly shiny
        I've got a Bestway one (although I accidentally damaged her while heatstretching, I got a bit carried away and a hole about 3/4" formed). I'll get myself an IW one in the future, since they come in both matte and shiny, and they're basically just upscaled copies of Intex whales.

Comment

• craggy2012
          • Jan 2012

Bestway also made a similar black orca whale over the years since the mid 80's that were either matte, embossed or gloss vinyl. They all look identical shape and screen printingwise- it just all depended on the supplier as to which vinyl material that particular production run got made with. I've still got two old early 90's era ones that are of a soft, stretchy gloss black vinyl. The latest Bestway orca (last years update model) is also gloss but it's not a design in really enthused with as it's a weird looking emrald green eye design... not for me personally especially as Inflatable World in Germany currently sell a 3 metre gloss black version of the generic orca whale (ie the Intex one) and there's talk about Inflatable World remaking another run of their 5 metre gloss black Orca's due to demand..... I guess it's watch this space

Comment

• loonerdude44
            Inflatable Enthusiast
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by craggy2012
            Bestway also made a similar black orca whale over the years since the mid 80's that were either matte, embossed or gloss vinyl. They all look identical shape and screen printingwise- it just all depended on the supplier as to which vinyl material that particular production run got made with. I've still got two old early 90's era ones that are of a soft, stretchy gloss black vinyl. The latest Bestway orca (last years update model) is also gloss but it's not a design in really enthused with as it's a weird looking emrald green eye design... not for me personally especially as Inflatable World in Germany currently sell a 3 metre gloss black version of the generic orca whale (ie the Intex one) and there's talk about Inflatable World remaking another run of their 5 metre gloss black Orca's due to demand..... I guess it's watch this space
            My current Bestway Orca now has too many unfixable cuts I can replace her but it won't be the same. I really, really hope to get an older Bestway Orca in the future since the older ones just look so much better. And about IW, I plan on getting a transparent 3m whale ASAP, perhaps a gloss blue and gloss black of the same size too! It all depends on funds though, and I'm not exactly wealthy.

Comment

• lilolover82
              • Mar 2014

Originally posted by loonerdude44
              I've got a Bestway one (although I accidentally damaged her while heatstretching, I got a bit carried away and a hole about 3/4" formed). I'll get myself an IW one in the future, since they come in both matte and shiny, and they're basically just upscaled copies of Intex whales.
              Can you patch the leak? Or is it too large of a hole. Also where did the leak form. Please tell me it's not on a seam.
              Washington State, United States

Comment

• loonerdude44
                Inflatable Enthusiast
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by lilolover82
                Can you patch the leak? Or is it too large of a hole. Also where did the leak form. Please tell me it's not on a seam.
                It was right next to a seam actually. But I tried patching her from the inside and failed miserably, I can't remove the glue or the patch that isn't on right, so she's done. It pains me. I even prayed to the lord that she would be alright in heaven, and to forgive me for what I have done to my beloved (yes, I believe in a divine creator, souls, objects having souls too, an afterlife, etc).

Not only is Layla gone, but my grandfather passed away the other night too. Believing in an afterlife makes me feel a little better, but they're still gone.

Pretty bummed out right now.

Comment

• Bubble Boy :-P

You have my most sincere condolences, loonerdude44
                  I understand loss is a most difficult thing to deal with
                  All my prayers go out to you
                  Remember you'll always have us for support
                  Hang in there & keep your faith

Comment

• loonerdude44
                    Inflatable Enthusiast
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Bubble Boy :-P
                    You have my most sincere condolences, loonerdude44
                    I understand loss is a most difficult thing to deal with
                    All my prayers go out to you
                    Remember you'll always have us for support
                    Hang in there & keep your faith
                    Thanks, that helps a bit.

I don't plan on losing my faith anytime soon, I'm a strong believer. Still sad that I lost the first one though. Hopefully soon I'll be getting an Intex lil whale to replace her, that's all I can get right now besides another Bestway whale.

Comment

• lilolover82
                      • Mar 2014

It was right next to a seam actually. But I tried patching her from the inside and failed miserably, I can't remove the glue or the patch that isn't on right, so she's done. It pains me. I even prayed to the lord that she would be alright in heaven, and to forgive me for what I have done to my beloved (yes, I believe in a divine creator, souls, objects having souls too, an afterlife, etc)
                      How bad was the leak? How fast slow does her air go out?
                      Washington State, United States

Comment

• loonerdude44
                        Inflatable Enthusiast
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by lilolover82
                        How bad was the leak? How fast slow does her air go out?
                        Well it's a few inches long (because I needed to make the small-ish hole longer to get a big piece of vinyl on the inside to patch, but I failed horribly) and she won't hold air at all. If I want to patch her, I'll have to cut out the area that was poorly patched. I might give it an attempt, but where I cut (and patch) will end up going through the seam. The glue I have is too slippery, can you recommend any thicker vinyl glue?

Comment

• loonerdude44
                          Inflatable Enthusiast
                          • Oct 2017

I've thought about it, and I think I will buy a black Intex orca whenever the opportunity comes up. The vinyl on the underside of Sapphire's pectoral fins and tail is a matte white, and that seems nice enough, so black vinyl with the same finish shouldn't be that bad. I was expecting matte vinyl to be rough like the underside of a dinghy or something, but it ain't.

Comment

• Jkloon
                            • Aug 2013

Well it's a few inches long (because I needed to make the small-ish hole longer to get a big piece of vinyl on the inside to patch, but I failed horribly) and she won't hold air at all. If I want to patch her, I'll have to cut out the area that was poorly patched. I might give it an attempt, but where I cut (and patch) will end up going through the seam. The glue I have is too slippery, can you recommend any thicker vinyl glue?
                            Try and find a pool repair kit! They come with a very nice glue that works great for repairs. I used one to repair an almost 2 foot long seam split on an old intex puppy ride on, and it has held perfectly. I've also used it to re-attach the wing of a bestway duck, and make many repairs in a bestway orca that I tend to get too rough with sometimes (it's also a very old toy).

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎